PDA

View Full Version : Corsair Carrier Take-off...max load?

SithSpeeder
11-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Question...on a *static* carrier using a Corsair (assume 1D, but also the 1A-C), what is the maximum load one can take-off with and HOW do you do it?

I can now get off the static deck with 25% fuel and 2 1000 lb bombs. But if I add anything else on of significance (8 rockets, another 2k lbs in bomb, etc.), I have no joy.

I ask this question not knowing what was possible in real life (IRL), just curious if anyone else has been able to do it in the game and HOW.

TIA.

* _54th_Speeder *

SithSpeeder
11-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Question...on a *static* carrier using a Corsair (assume 1D, but also the 1A-C), what is the maximum load one can take-off with and HOW do you do it?

I can now get off the static deck with 25% fuel and 2 1000 lb bombs. But if I add anything else on of significance (8 rockets, another 2k lbs in bomb, etc.), I have no joy.

I ask this question not knowing what was possible in real life (IRL), just curious if anyone else has been able to do it in the game and HOW.

TIA.

* _54th_Speeder *

CapBackassward
11-13-2004, 04:51 PM
bump!

Rick

voyager_663rd
11-13-2004, 05:30 PM
For the 1A-D depending on which source you quote, these figures can be considered "close enough". A hundred pounds either way makes no difference so:

empty weight 4,074 kilograms or 8,892 lb
MTO weight 6,350 kilograms or 14,000 pounds

You do the math http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The 1D was introduced in April 1944, though the 1C remained in production. The 1D was pretty well the same as the 1A, keeping the six Browning's, and differed primarily in being fitted for carriage of a 605 liter (160 US gallon) centerline drop tank and two 450 kilogram (1,000 pound) bombs, one on each inner wing just outside the wingroot. The two wingroot pylons were also "wet" and could carry fuel drop tanks. Napalm was also used in the Pacific theatre. The idea of using the Corsair to carry heavy munitions had been developed in the field, with operational squadrons improvising bomb racks for the carriage of such weapons. The 1D made it "official". Rockets came a bit later (4 per side of the 5" zero length variety)

SithSpeeder
11-13-2004, 11:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You do the math <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? I didn't ask what the MTOW was. MTOW is arrived at as a combination of several factors including:
1. the aircraft being able to take the stress of landing (like on a botched take-off where maybe you lose your engine moments after going airborne),
2. the power of the engine
3. the aerodynamics of the plane
4. the additional induced drag of the external payloads
5. the length of the runway &lt;------- severely limited by carrier, here

Obviously, the Corsair CAN take off with 4000 lbs. of bombs *in this game* (and probably IRL), otherwise we wouldn't have the option.

Although I honestly found the information in your post interesting and your work in progress is way cool, it didn't answer my questions.

A. Has anyone made it off a static carrier with 4k lbs (or more) of payload?
B. If so, how did you do it?

* _54th_Speeder *

Maple_Tiger
11-14-2004, 06:30 AM
Not me. I can only do this in a coop while the carrier is traveling 60 km/h.