PDA

View Full Version : What's happened in this picture?

major_setback
03-22-2008, 02:49 PM
This picture puzzles me. How would the props get damaged and not the rest of the aircraft. Also I assumed that this aircraft had metal propellers.

I can't read the caption.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/album%202/woodProp.jpg

Warrington_Wolf
03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Those props look more like wood to me, they seem to have snapped and splintered rather than bent as you would have expected. I reckon that the aircraft has landed with a nose low attitude, the pilot has braked on landing and as such the aircraft has pitched forward and it's props hit the ground and snapped. The pilot may have realised that he was going to flip the aircraft and released the brakes and pulled up on the yoke to bring the tail down, he was too late to save the props but just in time to save the aircraft as a whole.
That is just my opinion, I have never flown a Ju-88 (I only fly a C172) but I've seen two aircraft after their nosewheel has collapsed on landing and the prop is always bent rather than snapped.

blairgowrie
03-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Could he have nosed over in the mud, hit the ground with his props, and then settled back on his tail wheel? Just a thought.

Bremspropeller
03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Text says he went low over the mediterranian to avoid fighters...

When he had water-contact, the blade-tips gave away...

Pirschjaeger
03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Obviously he must have been very close to the beach.

jarink
03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Sometimes you'll see pics like that (bent props with gear down) where the plane belly landed, was jacked up by repair crews and the gear lowered. That was my first thought before reading the text.

Friendly_flyer
03-22-2008, 04:51 PM
The belly is too clean and undamaged for a belly landing, I believe the text is right.

buzzsaw1939
03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, it's possible, but I find it hard to belive if he hit the water hard enough to do that much damage,he wouldn't have had enough airspeed left to recover and climb out with those props.

I have seen that kind of damage from landing in heavey mud, and trying to go around with full power.

Bremspropeller
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Well, hitting the water at 300-400 kph, that kind of damage seems quite reasonable to me.
It also takes only a split second for the tips to break off.

The stunt was over in less than a second...

Pirschjaeger
03-23-2008, 07:43 AM
If he was avoiding enemy a/c it's reasonable to assume he was running at full throttle. That puts a lot of force on the blades. He may have also hit two waves before pulling out of danger. The changes in forces would have also been great.

There's not much of the blades left but still enough to grab a bit of air. This must have happened fairly close to base.

I would imagine there was also bearing damage as those blades don't look so balanced anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LEBillfish
03-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Well, it's possible, but I find it hard to belive if he hit the water hard enough to do that much damage,he wouldn't have had enough airspeed left to recover and climb out with those props.

I have seen that kind of damage from landing in heavey mud, and trying to go around with full power.

Well I would "think/don't know" that it would make little difference as to air speed at first.....The trouble being props are designed to deal with moving air, moving water even at just the tips enough to cause the blade to flex forward as it tries to screw through the water, and whether they broke then or after he'd still have speed giving him lift.......In fact he "may" of just caught a wave tip....No matter what I imagine he quickly regained a bit of alt (even a few feet), and sweatting didn't make the mistake again for the remainder of the flight.

All just speculation though...

K2

Pirschjaeger
03-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
........flex forward as it tries to screw through the water.......

K2

Billfish, I love it when you talk like that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

buzzsaw1939
03-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Good point Brems... I wasn't thinking of thier cruise speeds, I'm not used to that kind of speed over water, geezz, I can't even think that fast! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

As far as screwing through the water,..at that speed it would be like hitting a rock, the damage dosen't supprise me!

I think Fritz is right though, he must have been close to land, the vibration would have left him numb after a few minutes!

ImMoreBetter
03-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I met a corsair pilot in Korea who was at one time giving lectures on how to crash-land an F6F at night.

The instructions state that you put down the tailhook, and when that touches the water, you drop flaps.

He was skeptical that you could feel the tailhook hit the water in such a heavy plane. So one day he took out an F6F on a routine flight and made a few passes on the water with the hook down.

The prop clipped clipped the water and he was forced to crash land.

I have no doubt that a wood prop would break on contact with the water.

Taylortony
03-23-2008, 03:47 PM
would not be a landing incident as the blades have failed forwards...... so power was on..... you can see the failure in the wood is on the front of the blades, if no power it would all be on the back.............