PDA

View Full Version : Plotting that Merchant Intercept

Osakajoe
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Any good tips and tactics for making that merchant intercept in career mode.

Say for example you get a report of a ship/convoy 100nm away.

What i usually do is get the ruler and mark a line about 100 miles ahead of the target along the line of it's tail.

Usually it will cross my path there'but not always even when the targets are slow?

So my ways a bit hit or miss.
I'm not looking for any mods that help do this as they won't be avail in sh4 too for a while.

So just looking for tips.

Thanx

banzai_billy
03-16-2007, 06:14 PM
once you get to the estimated path, go back along it towards the initial contact. this will only sometimes work as always because of course changes, or they could've outrun you in which case you would go the other way

geoffwessex
03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
If you're running GWX, there's a neat table of distance/speed tucked away in the top right hand corner. Drag it out, then with the ruler or dividers, plot the target's line of movement and make a mark of where the target should be after each hour - you need some sort of conversion from knots (Nautical MIles per hour) to km travelled per hour at different speeds, and this table is it!

Osakajoe
03-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanx Geoff.
But GWX is no good as looking for the same tactics to work in sh4 from the off and not having to wait for a sh4 gwx mod.

geoffwessex
03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh ok - didn't see a mention of SH4. You could do your own easily enough, though:

1nm = 1852m, so at 5 knots a target travels 9.2km, at 6 knots it goes 11km, etc. There's a start - a spreadsheet would do it in no time. (I lost mine, but have it printed out)

Mittelwaechter
03-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Most often slow contacts run 6 knots. Your U-Boot can double or triple this speed.

It's easy to find the spot where the freighter has travelled 1/2 or 1/3 of your possible distance.

You'll have to go 50 km to intercept the courseline?
The freighter moves 25 km if you run at 12 knots and only 17 km if you rush at 18 knots.
No big calculations necessary.

Medium speed is (most often) 9 knots and fast is 12 or 14 knots for freighters.

K_Freddie
03-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Do the maths for the intercept course, beam over there with calculated speed.
Once you arrive in the aprox intercept area before the ship, if you cannot see it, submerge to ~25m, and listen on the hydrophones.

Monitor the ship noises, if any, untill you can get a course and bearing. If there are no ship noises, cruise at about 1knot for 3-4 hours, if still nothing, don't bother any more as the ship has changed course. You could drive yourself dilly looking for it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif