PDA

View Full Version : HELP IN EXTERNAL VIEW



Asas_Portuga1
03-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi all,

Reading your posts in this Forum, i'm discovering every day new stuff in this game, such as how to handle my plane better, skins, energy, controls, etc...

About, controls, I would like to ask away this: how do u guys, make use of "External View" ?

Do you use it on a Dogfight situation, to have a more clear sight of the bandit (I don't have TIR) ? Or just use it, sporadically, for instance, when you conclude a maneuver, and wont to see where to hit or strike?

Other thing is, how do u control accurately the plane, without stall and know where to turn, because in "External View", we r watching the plane in a "mirror" way?

Hope this post isn't a bit understandable. I did try to explain the best I could.


Thanks in advance http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Cheers.

ASAS

mmitch10
03-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I only ever use it now for admiring the skins and the scenery, although when I first started learning to land I used it to help lining up with the runway. I would never use it in a dogfight, it would just be too difficult for me to picture my situation in relation to other aircraft.

Asas_Portuga1
03-17-2008, 07:54 AM
hi,

Maybe u're rigth. But, as u said, i'm a noob, and i'm just experiment all possibilities, cause i contantly loose sigth of the bandit, in a dogfigth. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

thanks for your help

ASAS

Xiolablu3
03-17-2008, 09:13 AM
F2 is for outside view

F6 locks onto any close enemy plane, tapping it again will move onto the next one

F7 locks onto close enemy ground. Tap to cycle through them.

Asas_Portuga1
03-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi, Xiolablu,

Thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

When u say , "F6 locks onto any close enemy plane, tapping it again will move onto the next one", this is just for looking at the enemy, or can one get some advantage of the situation ? if so, how? That's my dificulty in handle the "Views" .

if u can help, that would be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

cheers, m8 (i'm leaning a bit with u http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

asas

buzzsaw1939
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
We are our own best teachers Asas!

All we can provide is tips on how we do it!

We all lose sight of bandits in a sim, lack of peripheral vision. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Asas_Portuga1
03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
We are our own best teachers Asas!

All we can provide is tips on how we do it!

We all lose sight of bandits in a sim, lack of peripheral vision. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Hi, Buzz

Yes, u're rigth, But i welcome your tips a anytime http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif, cause they had been my best help ( and i will never thank u enouth http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif), fru this sim experience. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

So, Thanks, and keep those TIPS coming....LOL

cheers

ASAS

Lurch1962
03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Not having TIR myself, I often use the external padlock view. It keeps both my plane and the enemy's in the center of the screen at all times. By hitting the key multiple times, you will quickly ascertain where each nearby enemy is with respect to you. Because the external views are always oriented so that up is up and down is down, it is fairly easy to perform maneuvers and maintain good control. If you must maneuver hard, look for the wingtip contrails--they warn of a potential stall.

Asas_Portuga1
03-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Lurch1962:
Not having TIR myself, I often use the external padlock view. It keeps both my plane and the enemy's in the center of the screen at all times. By hitting the key multiple times, you will quickly ascertain where each nearby enemy is with respect to you. Because the external views are always oriented so that up is up and down is down, it is fairly easy to perform maneuvers and maintain good control. If you must maneuver hard, look for the wingtip contrails--they warn of a potential stall.

hI ,
THANKS
I have a doubt. When u say "external padlock view" it's the same as "External VIEW" as i say? just for i understand completly your post, quite good i migth say. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif



cheers

asas

STENKA_69.GIAP
03-18-2008, 05:25 AM
External view is useful before take off. In RL you will walk round the plane, check the taxiways and runway before getting in the cockpit.

I would reccomend not to use it in flight if you want to use the game as a simulator.

The other great use is in training, where someone else can follow you on externals to see what you are doing right or wrong. You can also do this yourself offline. Record an .ntrk as you fly then watch the track back with externals on.

Note. you may not have trackIR but if you get a 10 Euro webcam and download some head tracking software you will have something that works. If you spend a bit of time on getting lighting just right and use a flashlight on your hat it can work as well as trackIR.

AnaK774
03-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, Asas, to the external view, you do get better situational awareness via it.
No planeparts blocking view and still visual cue of your own flight state.

Shooting you should do trough your planes gunsight. Gives you easier ride when you
want to pass along to locked pits and much more accurate.

TIR is not absolute must, you still can do prettty well
with mouse/hatswitch combo.
Definate + is if your controller has microstick that can be used in mouse
emulation mode. That way you can still be hands on throttle and stick like
TIR users.

IMO TIR is 4 n00bs :P

SeaFireLIV
03-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I only use external view to look at my plane before takeoff and look around after I get shot down or land.

I would find it impossible to fight externally now anyway.

My advice is stick to internal and while new, flick to external every now and then when you lose the bandit. Once you get an idea of what`s going on and feel more confident, stay in the cockpit and use your Hatswitch and plane turning to know where the enemy is.

One word of advice to help:

Remember that the plane you are dogfighting is NOT a UFO, it can only move in a certain direction at any one time. So if you see an enemy plane turn right out of your view he can only be in that area watch the spot and follow it.

I wish I could explain it better. Just watch the enemy nose and where he`s pointed, he can`t instantly double back.

Experience will be the best teacher, give it time and try not to get addicted to outside in fighting or even flying as I believe it`s bad training for new pilots.

Asas_Portuga1
03-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by AnaK774:
TIR is not absolute must, you still can do prettty well
with mouse/hatswitch combo.
Definate + is if your controller has microstick that can be used in mouse
emulation mode.

Hi

FOR ANAK:

Thanks for tip. well, theres something in your post that i did not undstand, that's the reason for the QUOTE. Can u explain me better ( i guess for u it's allready well enough, but i'm not expressing in my mother language so.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif) how do i do this: "Definate + is if your controller has microstick that can be used in mouse emulation mode"

thanks in advance http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

FOR STENKA:

Hi, first give my regards to ShURA, when u fly again with him.

Asfar as your post concerne, i did dl some inf about TIR options some time ago, and i'll maybe check that now . thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

cheers ASAS

Asas_Portuga1
03-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
My advice is stick to internal and while new, flick to external every now and then when you lose the bandit. Once you get an idea of what`s going on and feel more confident, stay in the cockpit and use your Hatswitch and plane turning to know where the enemy is.(...)
(...)
Experience will be the best teacher, give it time and try not to get addicted to outside in fighting or even flying as I believe it`s bad training for new pilots.

Hi SeaFire,

we meet again,

thank god not in a Dogfigth online http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

well thanks a lot for this post. the i selected in the QUOTE says all.

THanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ASAS

Xiolablu3
03-18-2008, 06:48 AM
If you lose sight of a bandit in a dogfight, try pressing F6 to lock onto him.

Its a bit of a flaw within the sim, but if everyone uses it, then its no longer a problem. If you dont like it then fly locked in cockpit servers.

It would be nice if we could use externals with no padflock however, but its a limitation of hte game engine apparantly.

Asas_Portuga1
03-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi,
thanks. i'll do the F6 thing to try http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

hope i'll get those BANDITS, this time LOL

ASAS

buzzsaw1939
03-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Asas...Something I did when I started was to use my map to find the bandits, then turn in thier direction to find them, even with a new lcd and tir, I still do once in a while, when I wonder away from the action and get lost! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I use my space bar for the map so that I can turn it on and off with out looking away from my screen, justa tip! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AnaK774
03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Asas_Portuga1:


Thanks for tip. well, theres something in your post that i did not undstand, that's the reason for the QUOTE. Can u explain me better ( i guess for u it's allready well enough, but i'm not expressing in my mother language so.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif) how do i do this: "Definate + is if your controller has microstick that can be used in mouse emulation mode"

thanks in advance http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif



Oh, no worries, english ain't my native language either, so were bit in same boat (and I'm used to explaining what i actually mean to certain bunch
of fellows whose native language is from across the pond)

So, some controller setups, like CH pro throttle, X45, X52, cougar HOTAS, have a mini joystick on throttle body that can be used as mouse via controllers
setup program. And it can be used in IL2 as mouse and there for as a device to look around. Works like dream for me.

No need for stiff neck with TIR

Hope that helped, Asas

S!

Bearcat99
03-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I use external view often to look at the action after I get shot down... or to try to figure out where the bandits are or where a friendly is that needs help.. if it is available....I also use external padlock... I can't always see the ground targets ... and my number one goal is not to live a vicarious life of a WWII fighter jock but to have fun.... I never try to fly or shoot externally.... I often will use flyby view enroute.. because I just think it looks cool.... Track IR is not a must but it is a definite improvement on any other viewing solution you might be using at the present..

Asas_Portuga1
03-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I use external view often to look at the action after I get shot down... or to try to figure out where the bandits are or where a friendly is that needs help.. if it is available....I also use external padlock... I can't always see the ground targets ... and my number one goal is not to live a vicarious life of a WWII fighter jock but to have fun.... I never try to fly or shoot externally.... I often will use flyby view enroute.. because I just think it looks cool.... Track IR is not a must but it is a definite improvement on any other viewing solution you might be using at the present..

Hi , Bearcat99, Anak and xiolablu

Magnificent help u guys provide me, once again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Well, all that's left me is put into practice the guidelines you each and every one give. Let hope I will get the hang of it

Thanks a lot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif


Cheers.

ASAS