PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Fan Control Utility and operating temp for 6600GT?

ytareh
08-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I cant seem to control fan speed -does the latest NVidia driver not support fan speed adjustment for a Gigabyte 6600GT?
Also Im getting load temps up to 80-90C (a bit lower since replaced stock "bubble gum" with Arctic Silver 5 and gave heatsink a quick sand/smooth...)

stansdds
08-05-2006, 05:37 AM
I have not been able to take control of the fan speed in my eVGA 6800 Ultra PCIe, it speeds up when it gets hot, slows down when it's comfortable. My card does not exceed 75C under heavy load and idles around 57C. 71.89 driver seems to be the best for my card.

-HH-Quazi
08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
The latest release of the 91.31 drivers sports the new nVidia Control Panel. If you are running these drivers, you can control the fa by either allowing it to speed up and slow down on its' own depending on the gpu temps (as you are doing now), or, you can choose to have it run wide open at all times under the Overclock Configuration page. If some of you aren't seeing this option, you need to dl and install a program called NVTweak and enable all options. You can get it seperately or bundled with a program called NVTray. I use the bundled version and allow NVTray to run actively instead of the nwiz icon to make setting changes to the drivers such as AA & AF setting along with the rest.

Now if you aren't using the new drivers, I have heard of a program called Speedfan that may allow you to control the fan's rpm's. Also, ATITool is supposed to support nVidia cards now and I know it has an extensive fan control GUI for the VGA card(s).

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Isn`t allowing the fan to run wide-open a bit dangerous? It will surely reduce the life of the fan at the least.

-HH-Quazi
08-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Common sense says yes, it would. But, I have set up every card I have owned to run wide open in 3D Apps\Games and I have never had a fan quit on me. And in readin the help file with the program Speedfan, it author says the same thing in his own personal experiences.

Btw, that Speedfan program is a pretty cool little proggy. I haven't found that it can control the gpu fan as of yet, but then again, I haven't delved too far into the help\instructions for it yet neither. But it does allow one to control the cpu and NB fan along with any other fan you have connected to the mobo, as well as monitoring other aspects such as voltages, HD, CPU * System temp, etc...

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks, -HH-Quazi. On that recommendation I might just give it a try.

CobraRonn
08-08-2006, 08:23 AM
RivaTuner will also allow you to adjust your fan settings.....RivaTuner/Driver Settings/System Settings/Fan...you can adjust 2d,3d low & 3d high as percentages to speed.