View Full Version : Pacific Fighters: Elevator trim

Steve1946
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Steve1946
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Tallyho1961
01-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi Steve,

- Have you tried changing the keyboard assignment for elevator trim, just to rule out some sort of keyboard malfunction?

- Another idea: load up a Spitfire - it has an elevator trim readout in the lower left instrument panel. Key in some trim and see if the instrument responds - the arrow will move up or down from the horizontal, similar to a rate of climb indicator.

- If the arrow moves, but you don't feel any change in the machines behaviour, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe someone else can chime in.

S!

stevedeth2004
01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Steve46 I had the same problem I am glad you asked.

Another question what do you good pilots use for gun convergience, I get waxed on head on passes waaaaayyyy to much.

walsh2509
01-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't know if it was fixed (patches?) but I did see in a few posts about trim that some of th experts on here said that there was a delay between hitting the Key (which ever one you tie to it ) and the trim reacting?

walsh2509
01-26-2005, 02:16 PM
On trim and other effects on flight?

Do any of these things apply to the EASY Flight settings, I would have thought not? can anyone confirm?

As I am no expert on flight sims I do go for the EASY settings so I can avoid thing like trim and so on..

Thanks

Tallyho1961
01-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi again,

I'm not an expert, but yes, there is a delay before a given amount of trim takes full effect. That's why the Spitfire is handy to learn to trim with - you can see how much you've keyed/dialed in and relate that to how the machine feels.

I found that the best exercise is to trim for level flight at various throttle settings, keeping an eye on the rate of climb indicator as you key in the trim. You'll soon learn how much you need.

Having said that, I didn't really get the hang of elevator trim, or use it effectively, until I got my Saitek X45 HOTAS.

Now my elevator trim is mapped to a rotary knob which I can dial up or down with my thumb as needed. This made an enormous difference to my ability to fly with any degree of control.

horseback
01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
There is a delay in trim response, although it is more perceptable when you assign a keyboard or joystick button to the function rather than to an axis (for those of you with HOTAS or other controllers with multiple axes laying around besides the usual X,Y,Z, U & possibly R).

It's fallout from an online 'cheat' that allowed people who used 'trim on a slider' to greatly improve their aircraft's turn or climb in a dogfight. Mainly, it now serves to penalize the offline user who would like a clear and recognizable response to his control inputs.

Generally speaking, most aircraft will tend to raise their noses as speed increases, and lower them as it decreases. Likewise, as the engine rpms increase, the nose will pull to one side or the other, according to the direction of prop spin.

These tendencies can be trimmed out, but it now takes a little time to see if you've entered too much or too little trim, and God help you if you're trying to keep in formation with one of those swooping, swerving accellerating de-cellerating demon AI flight leaders.

My advice is to go on the QMB alone for some practice, and figure out how many clicks it takes to maintain a straight and level flight in your chosen machine(s) at their cruise and top speeds. You'll develop a feel for it fairly quickly.

One note of caution: the Luftwaffe single engine fighters did not use rudder or aileron trim, only elevator trim, and the early types like the I-153 or I-16 had no trim (or powered undercarriage retraction) at all. Trying to trim these is just going to wear out your keyboard and fingertips.

cheers

horseback

FoolTrottel
01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevedeth2004:
Steve46 I had the same problem I am glad you asked.

Another question what do you good pilots use for gun convergience, I get waxed on head on passes waaaaayyyy to much. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just the way head-on passes go....
(Tried one online just tonight, I hit my enemy, but ended up as a 'Lawn dart', no wings left ;-(

Better avoid them, unless you've got a huege advantage on fuselage mounted (heavy) guns on your opponent.(Like attacking a bomber in a fighter...) Fighter vs. Fighter... naaaahhh