PDA

View Full Version : fps drop from exc to perfect?

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 09:45 PM
on my 1ghz Athlon and ati 8500, although i can get decent fps with everything cranked up to the max (except perfect mode, aniso and AA that is) i get a slideshow when i switch to perfect mode... from say 30fps I get down to 2-3fps, must be because of the shiny water I fear which my ati can't handle dunno (but i seem to remember i worked nicely in morrowind with very little performance hit)... anybody experiencing the same "problem"?
thanks for your feedback gent's...

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 09:45 PM
on my 1ghz Athlon and ati 8500, although i can get decent fps with everything cranked up to the max (except perfect mode, aniso and AA that is) i get a slideshow when i switch to perfect mode... from say 30fps I get down to 2-3fps, must be because of the shiny water I fear which my ati can't handle dunno (but i seem to remember i worked nicely in morrowind with very little performance hit)... anybody experiencing the same "problem"?
thanks for your feedback gent's...

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I might be wrong but I don't think the water in FB is made using Pixelshaders. Water in Morrowind is done with DirectX Pixelshaders and we all know there was only a sligh drop in fps, because ATi chipsets supporting DX8 and up can handle shaders very well.

I really wonder why in FB DirectX mode you cannot enable Perfect Settings with Pixelshaded water. Instead you have OpenGL gelatinous water which causes tremendous fps hit. On account of this I think the water is some sort of bumpmapped procedural texture, or fragment shading technique..really don't know. But it is weird.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 01:42 AM
You need to buy a new computer./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.gorman/mortimer3.jpg

Nevermore!</center>

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 03:26 AM
garbazzz wrote:
- on my 1ghz Athlon and ati 8500, although i can get
- decent fps with everything cranked up to the max
- (except perfect mode, aniso and AA that is) i get a
- slideshow when i switch to perfect mode... from say
- 30fps I get down to 2-3fps, must be because of the
- shiny water I fear which my ati can't handle dunno
- (but i seem to remember i worked nicely in morrowind
- with very little performance hit)... anybody
- experiencing the same "problem"?
- thanks for your feedback gent's...

Radeon 9800 here, and i have the same issues. The shiney water in FB just doesn't look right. As you pan around the landscape it "jumps" from being very dark, to shiney, and back, etc.

And yes, I'm a big Morrowind fan and the pixel shaded shiney water in that game works very well. With my current rig Morrowind runs at 50+ FPS at 1280x960, 4x FSAA, 16x aniso. I keep expecting to see Smoke Jag's P-39 parked underneath a mushroom tree, it looks so real http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif