PDA

View Full Version : HELP can't figure out how to play!

i_frog
08-12-2007, 12:28 AM
this is obviously a very complex game and the ads say "With its extensive tutorials and customizable settings, the game will be appealing to both beginning and expert pilots."

after much searching, i found the manual .pdf file which goes on to say the missions are "arranged by country and sorted by difficulty level".

my game has tutorials for carrier take off and landings. that's it. i tried one for taking off and it said to master airfield takeoffs first!

i tried playing just off of the list of control buttons but had very little luck. i cannot seem to lock on to enemys. the f6 external lock works but i cannot get any kind of help in the cockpit view (tried f4 repeatedly). it's very had to fly the plane from the outside, especially when my poor pilot is inside blacking out and stuff.

very frustrating.

Crash_Moses
08-12-2007, 03:36 AM
Well, you came to the right place.

Check out Bearcat's guide by clicking on this --->Nugget's Guide to Getting off the Ground (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645)

This is a flight simulator so it really wasn't designed to be played from outside the aircraft.

After that, yoller with more questions.

S!

Zeus-cat
08-12-2007, 07:12 PM
My "Straight From the Farm" campaign was made to help people with takeoffs and landings. It is listed in Bearcat's Nuggets Guide to Getting Off the Ground that Crash_Moses mentions. The feedback I have received says it helps even the noobiest noob with takeoffs and landings. Check it out.

P.S. Stay in the cockpit when you fly.

Bearcat99
08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Everything they said.... I even updated the guide with more detailed Hyperlobby info.

i_frog
08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
okay perhaps you guys misunderstand me. i have almost no tutorials and such. i don't know how to target enemy aircraft (except in external view), use the map, set waypoints, etc. there is no help and no tutorials for these with my game.

ps - i am running the standalone game but i also have a copy of sturmovik if that helps. i got one of those ****-tastic "best of" 3 packs and it only contains the disks.

Zeus-cat
08-16-2007, 09:08 PM
There aren't any good tutorials with the game. There are some vidoes, but I never really watched them. There is a pdf manual on the Pacific Fighters disk. Use Windows Explorer and search through the directories on the disk.

My "Straight From the Farm" campaign shows you how to takeoff and land from a grass airstrip. You then move on to a carrier and practice takeoffs and landings from the ship. Eventually, you get to do a dive-bombing mission. I highly recommend it. I tell you what functions you need to use and how to bind keys to those functions. My campaign assumes you know nothing about this game and I step you through very basic stuff. Use the link below to get the campaign and download it. I provide instructions on where to put the files so it shows up in your campaign menu.

The player can't set waypoints in this game while you are playing a mission. A mission builder can do this using the full mission builder, called the FMB, but the FMB is not something a new person should try for a while.

To practice gunnery, use the Quick Mission Builder and put friendly bombers near you and try shooting them down. Then move on to friendly fighters. Eventually move on to enemy aircraft. For that, try flying an F4F and try shooting down D3A1's.

i_frog
08-17-2007, 01:23 AM
okay thanks, i'll check that out when i get a chance... so... which key is for targeting enemies? i think the control menu said it was f4 but it didn't seem to do a thing. i played a similar game (made with same engine i think) and the similar key highlighted the enemy with a green triangle. anything like that in this game? very hard to fly & shoot and try to look with the mouse simultaneously. if i could just target enemies i'm sure i'll figure everything else out.

Skunk_438RCAF
08-17-2007, 07:11 AM
You must be accustomed to the MS CFS series, because you keep talking about "targeting". There is no such thing in Oleg's games. The F4 key is to be used when you have the enemy in view, and all it does is keep the enemy centered in your view. If the enemy disappears under your aircraft for example, the F4 view unlocks itself.

So, you physically have to search the sky for your enemies in this game. It takes some practice, but its worth the effort. You can turn icons on if you have any difficulty at first. Be sure to read Bearcat's Nugget Guide, its an awesome piece of litterature.

i_frog
08-17-2007, 05:34 PM
> You must be accustomed to the MS CFS series, because you keep talking about "targeting". There is no such thing in Oleg's games. The F4 key is to be used when you have the enemy in view, and all it does is keep the enemy centered in your view. If the enemy disappears under your aircraft for example, the F4 view unlocks itself.

that sounds kind of like what sturmovik did the short time i tried it out. but the f4 key seems to do nothing in this one, even when i have the enemy centered in my gunsight.

hopefully i will have time to mess with the game some tonight.

does it make a difference that i have the stand-alone?

Skunk_438RCAF
08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Nope, should be pretty much the same experience as with Sturmovik.

i_frog
08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
FIRST BLOOD!

300 megabytes of patch installs taken from all over the internet (half of the update links on the official site are 404's) and i finally have an interior enemy padlock!

i used my new feature to fly out and strike at a bomber (about the only target i figured i could find). madly scannning the skies with my mouse i finally found the enemy speck! on my way to him i found some heavy flack and had so much oil on my windscreen i could hardly see, but i scored some hits before he gave it back and a few more before i bled to death from my injuries, my plane still in the air.

AAAAAWWWWESSSSOOOOOOOOOOMMME!

yay! i have offically upgraged from a frustrated software installer to a NOOB.

thx for all the help. see you in the forums and eventually in the skies.

major_setback
08-18-2007, 05:44 AM
EDIT : I see you got it fixed.
The F4 key should 'padlock' your view to an enemy aircraft and show a red triangle around it, but you need to have the aircraft in view to do it, and it must be within 3km(I think) of you or you can't do it. You need to turn on aircaraft names for it to show, map a button for this in controls section on the main page of the game (it should already be on though, but you might have acidently turned the names off).
The padlock turns off when the enemy goes out of view ie. where you can't see it (underneath you for example).

Bearcat99
08-29-2007, 06:48 AM
1946 is going for $10 this week.. get it ASAP.

Bearcat99
09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Hit the Nugget's Guide in my sig.