PDA

View Full Version : The 13th mission

larschance
02-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks to Tully and others setting me up with Oleg's joystick settings I now have a resonable control of my aircraft on a new pc.
I decided to start the Finnish career again flying the J8 Gladiator on Normal Difficulty level. After 12 missions I had only managed one lucky claim against an I16 but survived all flights. Then came the 13th.
Rain battered my plane as well as outside my window in real life as I switched on the engine. A cross wind forced me to hold down left rudder which stayed full left as I picked up momentum on the runway. Once in the air the Glad was buffeted about until the engine quit 3 times. Pressing 'I' started me up each time but I lost height and distance from my flight.
After a few minutes I reached clear air but cloudy conditions. I heard then saw my flight engaged with enemy fighters and eventually joined in. Again my engine cut out twice during the melee which is down to me getting carried away in the fight. Worse frustration was the crossbar ahead of the cockpit which hindered my following a target as it changed direction. I quickly had to hit f8 to see what was happening. The ea used the clouds alot but I managed to damage one or two until my flight eventually came to my rescue. I survived attacks by 3 ea at once which had me sweating.
As the surviving ea pulled away I radioed for a course home and continued to my new base which was encased in another storm which lit up my cockpit and hid the ground from me. I arrived over the base and asked for permission to land. I should have baled out in those conditions but was determined to bring her in after what I had been through. Sadly on the cloudy approach I hit the ground and made a hole in the runway.
Had to retire for a cuppa and a lie down before tackling that mission again.
What a narvellous sim and how did those pilots in real life put up with all this. Hats off to them all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

FoolTrottel
02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

crucislancer
02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
You are going to have many more of those, offline or online, that are going to thrill, frustrate, and educate all at the same time.

Some of my favorites:

An offline USMC campaign, flying the Corsair at Guatalcanal. It was a scramble, just me, a wingman, and a couple of P-39s from a USAAF sqn. Bettys, Zekes, and Rufes all over the place. Somehow I managed to make it out of that one mostly in one piece, though I one point I was threatened by at least 5 planes, but I managed to shoot 3 down.

Another, online, flying the La-5FN, and I had just finished up a perfect bounce on a Fw-190F-8 that went down in flames. I'm on my way back, when out of the clouds are a pair of Doras. I ruined their bounce for a moment, but where then joined by another pair of Doras. For about 3 minutes I did my best to avoid them, managing to defeat their shots for that long until a Dora got a burst in on my tail. I took to my chute shortly after that.

Another online mission, I had just come on the server, again flying a La-5, no one in sight so I had time to gain some altitude and find some bad guys. I see a bf109G just finishing off another La-5, so I come in and after a short dogfight I shoot him down. Seemingly out of nowhere another bf109G tries to get the jump on me, but fortunately he misses. For the next 5 minutes we twist, turn, dive and climb until the mission ended. He never got a shot into me, but I had him in my sights more then once. The only problem was that I used most of my ammo on the first kill, so my first burst against this new threat was my last, and I missed. I'm sure if I had ammo he would have been shot down. I've learned to be a bit more economical with ammo since then.

Tully__
02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
You're welcome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

larschance
02-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the warning of other intense missions.
I flew the Finnish career a few years ago when you started on the B239 Buffalo which is a great plane to learn on. After two more attempts on the J8 I managed to reach the new base and walk away from the wreckage on the runway. Landing in storm clouds is very disorientating. Hopefully I will receive a more potent fighter soon. Probably the Hurri before the Buffalo if memory serves me well.
Happy flying everyone.

jamesblonde1979
02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Have a go at the Fiat G-50 and see what you think.

I can usually get those Ratas running for the hills in a G-50.

Funny thing though, the cockpit reminds me so much of a big bath tub I often wonder where my rubber duck has got to!

DKoor
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
If you go for G.50 it is always nice to set gun convergence to about 180m or so (preferably less). I had those Ratas exploding in mid-air under one accurate low convergence burst from dead 6! The thing you must watch is that they don't take you with them, especially if you are very close on their 6 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif .

larschance
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I am intrigued by the Italian fighters especially the Macchi series.
I remember the Rumanian IAR80 a few years ago handling like a sailplane compared to the 109 or Buffalo but still capable of dealing with early russian fighters.
After a few months away from flying I am enjoying this sim all over again.