PDA

View Full Version : What's the story on this one?

TheJoyStick
03-26-2005, 12:35 PM
http://www.skylighters.org/photos/poweek/nonose.jpg

TheJoyStick
03-26-2005, 12:35 PM
http://www.skylighters.org/photos/poweek/nonose.jpg

PBNA-Boosher
03-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Some planes probably collided.

fireman196988
03-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Lost by a nose.

Fireman

Call_me_Kanno
03-26-2005, 12:45 PM
My guess is a direct hit from a 88mm flak round.

gombal40
03-26-2005, 02:26 PM
hit by flak, went down , no chutes

3.JG51_BigBear
03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
They still had four good fans, unbelievable.

GerritJ9
03-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Another possibility is a head-on collision with a Sturmj√¬§ger or Rammj√¬§ger.

Taylortony
03-26-2005, 05:08 PM
There was an article in either flypast or aeroplane monthly recently of a similar one to that, It had an AA round in the nose killing the bombardier and obstructing the view of the pilots, dropping out of formation it managed to make it back.................. they flew her home and the ground crew and station turned out as they heard this awful Moaning noise long before the main stream was due back, with the nose missing the whole plane turned into a giant whistle and the shrill moan was heard with the plane still 15 miles from base, she made it and the pilot steered her off the end of the runway so as to keep it clear for the returning bombers following her...... bar the person in the nose they all survived............

-HH-Dubbo
03-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I have read the story on that one but I can't remember exactly what happened. I don't think that it ended well.

Taylortony could this be the one to which you refer??
This damage was the result of a direct hit from an 88mm shell over Cologne.
http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/nightschpanker/B17nonose.jpg
The pilot broke formation, dropped to 2000ft and retreated back across the channel to the base of Nuthampstead. Balls and a rugged aircraft....

VonKlugermon
03-26-2005, 06:01 PM
From E. Jablonski's "Flying Fortress":

"Having completed its bomb run over the Farencvaros Railroad Yards near Budapest, Hungary, this Fortress received a direct hit. Although five parachutes left the plane, there was no possibility of any others. The flak tore away the entire front of the plane carrying off the pilot, copilot, bombardier, navigator, and undoubtedly hitting the top-turrent gunner. The plane remained poised like this only for a moment before falling."

Willy

-HH-Dubbo
03-26-2005, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonKlugermon:
From E. Jablonski's "Flying Fortress":

"Having completed its bomb run over the Farencvaros Railroad Yards near Budapest, Hungary, this Fortress received a direct hit. Although five parachutes left the plane, there was no possibility of any others. The flak tore away the entire front of the plane carrying off the pilot, copilot, bombardier, navigator, and undoubtedly hitting the top-turrent gunner. The plane remained poised like this only for a moment before falling."

Willy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that was it.

GAU-8
03-27-2005, 04:32 AM
IIRC....

this event of the bomber(not the actual mission)was shown for a brief moment during the movie "MEMPHIS BELLE" ... or at least something close to what happened in the pic

i could be mistaken.