PDA

View Full Version : How many different mod packs now?

mortoma
11-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow, have read about two more high level mod packs lately that are not connected with AAA.
How many of these big mod packs by different people are out now?? I went to the aforementioned place and they still are touting only their 1.2 mod, which I downloaded and started using about three weeks ago. But these others now? And is this more bad than good for the community? I think more bad because they likely are not compatible online and this just fragments the online play these days.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please post no links to these sites, Thanks!!</span>

But as far as I'm concerned thing are getting a little out of hand. Don't you think?

AndyJWest
11-09-2009, 07:08 AM
It looks that way at the moment, but maybe it will settle down in a while. 4.09m stirred things up a bit I think, and there also seem to have been differences of opinion in the mods community about the way to go.

I'm inclined to think that 'natural selection' will restrict the number of mod packs catered for online - give it a month or two to sort itself out...

Uufflakke
11-09-2009, 07:17 AM
And somewhere this week will be the release of AAA's 1.2.5, the mod pack for V4.09
Good news for an offliner like me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

JG52Uther
11-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Ultrapack 1.8 is the big one now.Fully compatible with 409,and servers appearing in HL.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
From what I can tell, the major ones are AAA UI, HSFX, Ultrpack, and SAS (though SAS is less of a big pack of mods). Fortunately, all these big players are indeed talking to each other and trying to come to a consensus. With the popularity of these other mod packs they too see the fragmentation that we do and it does concern them. The new UI 1.2.5 will be a compilation of AAA and HSFX stuff. So I'm not too worried about the whole thing, I think they all want to work towards a community mod pack standard, it's only a matter of time and motivation for them to work it all out.

b2spirita
11-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
From what I can tell, the major ones are AAA UI, HSFX, Ultrpack, and SAS (though SAS is less of a big pack of mods). Fortunately, all these big players are indeed talking to each other and trying to come to a consensus. With the popularity of these other mod packs they too see the fragmentation that we do and it does concern them. The new UI 1.2.5 will be a compilation of AAA and HSFX stuff. So I'm not too worried about the whole thing, I think they all want to work towards a community mod pack standard, it's only a matter of time and motivation for them to work it all out.

When you consider that all of this is a result of dedicated individuals putting a lot of effort to improving the experience of the game, i have to admire them. Yes, there is fragmentation, but given the circumstances i cound not complain.

Scolar
11-09-2009, 10:43 AM
They should all just team up.

Boosher
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
That is indeed happening, Scolar. IIRC, AAA has gotten rid of plans to make a UI 1.3 because all of the big websites are attempting to release a single mod package.

thefruitbat
11-09-2009, 11:11 AM
If you look on all the mod websites now, they are talking about combining to stop fragmentation. Not only are they talking, they are getting there, hence why you have aaa's new planes in an compiled sfs mod like hsfx's, ie ultrapack 1.8, before aaa ui1.2.5.

As to the ultrapack 1.8, its the best yet by miles, and i really enjoying it, although i suspect aaa1.2.5 will be pretty much identical, but with better sounds, but not the western front plane update.

Still, it won't be long now before there is just one 'current' mod pack.

Hawgdog
11-09-2009, 11:15 AM

I seriously hope so.
AND I wish those servers online would have just what the hell they're running instead of "cool name goes here", this way, no wasting time when you only have 20 minutes and want to sneak in one sortie.

rnzoli
11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
Define "long". Coming from a little bit of Linux background, there will never be just "one" mod pack. Individual aspirations, which are the main engine of free contributions, will take care of that. Maybe "one mainstream" and several other ones, yes, that is a possibility.

thefruitbat
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
By long, i mean the next gen of modpack, ie what would of been ui1.3 or ultrapack1.9.

And yes you are right, i should of said one 'mainstream current' mod pack.

Old_Canuck
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM

How about the name "Mod HAUS" for a collaborative superpack by these heavies: HSFX, AAA, Ultrack and SAS?

I'm not up to date on these mods but if those sounds that were posted awhile back are for real it would be a compelling reason to take the plunge IMHO.

M_Gunz
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Wow, have read about two more high level mod packs lately that are not connected with AAA.
How many of these big mod packs by different people are out now?? I went to the aforementioned place and they still are touting only their 1.2 mod, which I downloaded and started using about three weeks ago. But these others now? And is this more bad than good for the community? I think more bad because they likely are not compatible online and this just fragments the online play these days.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please post no links to these sites, Thanks!!</span>

But as far as I'm concerned thing are getting a little out of hand. Don't you think?

It's the same pattern as open or hacked sims and games generally turn into. Considering the FS Community and the number
of camps on various issues and just plain planes, in some cases views held since childhood and looking for validation
in a flight sim "now it's right" style --- what do you expect? As many people agree fills the server(s) and we end up
with a sort of evolution of the fittest perhaps? For every niche, a mod and players who use it, may the best mod win!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sometimes the only way past something like this is to go straight through. Burn it out, I predict that Team Daidalos
will produce all the best as well as new fundamental work. All the best will want to join them!

mortoma
11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Holy bat poo, there are more mod packs out than even I thought there were!! I didn't know about SAS.....

doraemil
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow thanks for letting us know the majors ones.

Oh what a God send, they are working together.

I really do commend them working on the mods and making the game better.

But yes a standard of all the big dogs would be nice!

I'm going to wait for the combo mod . . .

I agree to Hawgdog and Mortoma said.

To find out what servers versions are, I have to either visit the website or join and (get different version message) to find out what they got.

And there needs to be some cosensus. on HL there are at least 4 different versions floating around . . .

So I got 4.09 offical only IL-2 (I reloaded XP and IL-2, the six IL-2's directories and clutter needed cleaning)

When I tried go online yesterday, everything is 4.08 stock or 409 b1m (the most popular servers).

I felt let down. 4.09 is not a small download. And nothing online really supports it. Shoot, the two biggest open pit servers are stock 4.08!!

Nothing had 4.09 official. Maybe Spits vs 109s but its the same 2 guys or the Zekes vs Wildcats with only 1 other person in there. The rest of the 4.09 official have no one in there.

It seems offline, 4.09 and Team D gets campaigns for it.

Online, its a different story and it seems that Team D's effort is a neglected step child . . .

There should be a standard.

I think the top mods above should give their skins, sounds, pilots, maps to Team D, so Team D to add them to the next patch. After all that's what most people want the mods for.

Except the cheaters that want FM / DM modded. But thats been beaten down worse than Tigers strafed by US planes.

And most people care about bettering the game than their own pride / intellectual copyright etc . .. (of couse Team D will give recognition).

Let Team D figure out the FM's and DM's and flyables, determine if IL-2 series gets swastikas or Fat Man / Little Boy or graf zeppelin mod

And all online servers should run mostly Team D's current patch.

Online should be that official patch players get majority of the servers and the modded IL-2's should have to work around to get on them, not the other way around like it currently is.

fabianfred
11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
It is the insistence on this CRT=2 thing which causes the trouble....for the DF servers. Most coops do not employ it and people join in with many different set-ups...just the same version is enough...and now we have 4.09 there is no need for 4.08 or 4.09b1m.

Rjel
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by doraemil:
Online should be that official patch players get majority of the servers and the modded IL-2's should have to work around to get on them, not the other way around like it currently is.

If the majority of online players were flying plain vanilla, wouldn't it naturally work out like that? That suggests to me the migration to the mods has outstripped those flying the unmodded game.

xTHRUDx
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
it's kind of a free market right now and the cream will rise to the top.

Monguse
11-10-2009, 03:57 AM
rnzoli

Funny you should note Unix. Here is a bit of nostalgia from May 02 2007

"How many flavors of Unix are there?" The answer is many:

http://www.albion.com/security/intro-3.html

Original post

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...931020655#9931020655 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/8391043455?r=9931020655#9931020655)

Alone we can only do so much, unite and things will change.

TheGrunch
11-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Monguse:
Funny you should note Unix. Here is a bit of nostalgia from May 02 2007

"How many flavors of Unix are there?" The answer is many.
Haha! It was very wise of the author not to expand upon the many variants of Linux. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Worf101
11-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by doraemil:
So I got 4.09 offical only IL-2 (I reloaded XP and IL-2, the six IL-2's directories and clutter needed cleaning)

When I tried go online yesterday, everything is 4.08 stock or 409 b1m (the most popular servers).

I felt let down. 4.09 is not a small download. And nothing online really supports it. Shoot, the two biggest open pit servers are stock 4.08!!

Nothing had 4.09 official. Maybe Spits vs 109s but its the same 2 guys or the Zekes vs Wildcats with only 1 other person in there. The rest of the 4.09 official have no one in there.

It seems offline, 4.09 and Team D gets campaigns for it.

Online, its a different story and it seems that Team D's effort is a neglected step child . . .

There should be a standard.

Welcome to the club Bub. It's been way lonely being a 4.09m Jockey. Nobody cept a few brave or deluded fools fly 4.09m online I've only had 5 people in a Coop tops with me. Perhaps AAA 1.2.5 will fix this, we'll see.

Worf

Billy_DeLyon
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Perhaps AAA 1.2.5 will fix this, we'll see.

I think that's what the big DF servers are waiting for.

baronWastelan
11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
As I'm now using U@P 1.8 with many mods from AAA added to it, I would like to know what other mod pack has anything good that I don't already have?

TIA

na85
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Glad to see that they're getting over the childish bull**** that plagued the early mod stuff.

I think Ultrapack gained some popularity since the release of the largely underwhelming UI1.2

megalopsuche
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doraemil:

If the majority of online players were flying plain vanilla, wouldn't it naturally work out like that? That suggests to me the migration to the mods has outstripped those flying the unmodded game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would bet that many keep the standard version of the game for offline play. It loads faster and performs better; plus you never run into the Russian language in unexpected places.

The big reason for why many servers use mods is so that players can fly the B-17 and a few other aircraft that were normally AI-only, but it's only a fraction of the players who fly those aircraft.

Sillius_Sodus
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I also think the advent of the moving dogfight server is a big reason why the mods are getting so popular for online play.

In a way it's too bad, 4.09 is a very, very nice piece of work and it's unfortunate that it is getting overshadowed so quickly.

Wurkeri
11-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, the only reason I took the 4.09 is those cool Fokker D.XXIs and I fly those couple times a week offline. New maps are also nice but otherwise it's pretty much useless online.

thefruitbat
11-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:

I would bet that many keep the standard version of the game for offline play. It loads faster and performs better; plus you never run into the Russian language in unexpected places.

Thats a joke, right?

Rjel
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:

The big reason for why many servers use mods is so that players can fly the B-17 and a few other aircraft that were normally AI-only, but it's only a fraction of the players who fly those aircraft.

The load times haven't bothered me a bit offline. Maybe it's an issue with online play, but I haven't yet fallen asleep waiting for the game to load. I don't anticipate ever loading up the game unpatched again. To each his own.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Moving dogfight server should be included in next official patch from TD.

AndyJWest
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
'Should' be? Do you mean 'is expected to be', or 'I'd like it to be', U_S?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
'Should' be? Do you mean 'is expected to be', or 'I'd like it to be', U_S? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zuti is a member of TD and stated it was planned.

AndyJWest
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear that U_S, though with my standard of on-line play, I expect the dogfights will be moving in my direction when I fly...

Insuber
11-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I do no longer trust in the free market virtues after the recent financial crysis ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

If this is really a free market then Il-2 will collapse under the weight of crazy mods, Oleg shall be obliged to inject vast amounts of clean code, the bad guys will get millions of kills as a bonus, and the good guys will end up in a POW camp with their HOTAS seized.

Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
it's kind of a free market right now and the cream will rise to the top.

Insuber

NuMcA_of_CS
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
It's not trully a "Free Market" example.. It is more like a Jungle rules, all-for-all... Nonetheless, the "cream will rise"..