PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the new Hurricane.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Just gone back to flying in the Hurricane after some time flying in other birds.
Anyway while flying the Mk1 I forgot about the effect of negative G on the engine cutting out.

So the inevitable happens.

And...I actually managed to re-start the engine in mid-air.

Is it me or could this not be done before the latest patch?

Also how would a RL pilot have re-started his engine?
What was the procedure?

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/ex1_soon.jpg
<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Just gone back to flying in the Hurricane after some time flying in other birds.
Anyway while flying the Mk1 I forgot about the effect of negative G on the engine cutting out.

So the inevitable happens.

And...I actually managed to re-start the engine in mid-air.

Is it me or could this not be done before the latest patch?

Also how would a RL pilot have re-started his engine?
What was the procedure?

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm).

http://extremeone.4t.com/images/ex1_soon.jpg
<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 02:47 PM
A great point and a good post to show the level of detail in this sim. I wonder if pilots could dive and restart their engines...sort of like rolling a manual car down a hill and popping the clutch. I guess you would have to turn on all the electrical stuff like magnetos or whatever.. I am not sure.... but it's little things like that that make me defend this sim so arduously.... you gotta love it.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm not a piston job expert, but it should be similar to starting on the ground, with a couple things differant.

First, point that nose down to maintain airspeed and keep your prop turning

Second, put all switches in start up mode, like mags on, throttle in start position, stuff like that

Third, the engine should kick over and start if fuel is flowing again, the wind on the prop will provide the 'starter' power.

Ask me if you want to know how a C-130 engine starts in the air, after being feathered. I know for sure how those work! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Good hunting,
Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Cajun76 wrote:
- I'm not a piston job expert, but it should be
- similar to starting on the ground, with a couple
- things differant.
-
- First, point that nose down to maintain airspeed and
- keep your prop turning
-
- Second, put all switches in start up mode, like mags
- on, throttle in start position, stuff like that
-
- Third, the engine should kick over and start if fuel
- is flowing again, the wind on the prop will provide
- the 'starter' power.
-
- Ask me if you want to know how a C-130 engine starts
- in the air, after being feathered. I know for sure
- how those work! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
-
- Good hunting,
- Cajun76
-

Uhh... I sure hope those mags are on as you are flying around! Else your in a glider! Mags provide the spark like the coil in the car. they are always on if the engine is running.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p9141f290fa1c1c59a2dc382c77af21f3/fb1a8321.jpg

Lead Whiner for the P-47D-40, M and N and Hvars

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:41 PM
I had it happen to me in FAF campiage as I was over emeny line in more than 6 months ago. That was sweet. Too bad as I-16 can't re-start in mid-air

Regards
SnowLeopard

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:50 PM
You can now restart the I-16 if the motor cuts & you could always restart the Merlin on the Hurri Mk1.Maybe not first time,as the carb is flooded,but if you let it clear first,she'll be fine.

Hurri Mk1 in 1.11 is by far and away the best it's been,It's an honest bird now http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.airplane-world.addr.com/Corgi/aa30701.jpg

No601 County of London Squadron,Tangmere Pilots.
http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk

Message Edited on 10/11/0305:54PM by no601_Gilly

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Hmm, as long as the propeller is moving and the engine is once again feed with fuel the engine should re-start automatically, you don't have to push a button or something like that. All you would feel with these negative g's is the engine loosing power temporarily, not stopping.

If you stall the propeller on the other hand, you really have to dive hard to get it running again, the only time you want the propeller stopped is if the engine malfunctions and you need the extra glide-range, cause then a moving propeller is like a brake on your plane.

rgds

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
jmmoric wrote:
- Hmm, as long as the propeller is moving and the
- engine is once again feed with fuel the engine
- should re-start automatically, you don't have to
- push a button or something like that. All you would
- feel with these negative g's is the engine loosing
- power temporarily, not stopping.
-
- If you stall the propeller on the other hand, you
- really have to dive hard to get it running again,
- the only time you want the propeller stopped is if
- the engine malfunctions and you need the extra
- glide-range, cause then a moving propeller is like a
- brake on your plane.
-
- rgds
-
Ummm...when it happen to first time as I was lost my word what's wrong with Hurricane as I force landing behind emeny line. I sit for a pause think engine is damaged but no smoke...try hit "I" and it started. Later, as I read manual "for read" and understand it. In future, I able to re-start in mid-air. Still it was so funny to me wonder what's wrong with Hurricane at first time.

Regards
SnowLeopard

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 08:05 PM
WereSnowleopard wrote:
-
- Ummm...when it happen to first time as I was lost my
- word what's wrong with Hurricane as I force landing
- behind emeny line. I sit for a pause think engine is
- damaged but no smoke...try hit "I" and it started.
- Later, as I read manual "for read" and understand
- it. In future, I able to re-start in mid-air. Still
- it was so funny to me wonder what's wrong with
- Hurricane at first time.

I had the same experience in a Rata, and I was sad to find out what happened and why/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Since everything else in the sim functioned so well/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

rgds

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:00 PM
the other option is, rolling the plane on her back,and pulloing on the stick.

I'm a crappy pilot, but one hell of a shot.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:15 PM
i did this several times in my rata campaign i was flying
i think u flood the carbs? im not sure, but i hammered i till it started again /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
i tend to use 120%fuel which cant help /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
oh and i was well chuffed to glide my 109 back to german territory after i broke my prop on the ground /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
wasnt far mind, but still rather pleased /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Ok as an Engineer on piston stuff I can answer this for Ya..

Ok the mags when turned off are simply earthed and the high energy discharge takes the path of least resistance to earth. when they are on and not grounded the path of least resistance is the plug gap and the charge jumping that gap gives you the spark. when an engine is shut down inflight the prop is feathered to stop it windmilling as that causes drag, (Turned 90 Degree to the airflow so the blades are side on).
To restart in the air all that is needed is to unfeather the prop, turn the fuel back on and turn the mags on, the resulting windmilling will work like the starter and start it turning over also the mags will be turning and they will produce a spark and if fitted an engine driven fuel pump will produce pressure, adding fuel and air completes the elements needed and the engine should start.
A flooded engine, you need to open the throttle fully, close the mixture and that will allow the engine to push the excess fuel out through the engine, it will fire when the level is correct then a quick juggling of the levers should get the show back on the road,
An injected engine can be a pain to restart as the heat of the engine can cause vapour locks in the fuel lines....

Hope that helps you

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 02:39 AM
Sniper762x51 wrote:
- Uhh... I sure hope those mags are on as you are
- flying around! Else your in a glider! Mags provide
- the spark like the coil in the car. they are always
- on if the engine is running.
-

Sorry, meant BOTH mags on, most modern a/c have two sets, and it is up to the pilot and flying conditions whether they'll use either bank, or both.

What I posted above is a simplified RL version. Most fighters can't feather their props, its a feature for multiple engine planes, so that: 1)it reduces drag 2) a windmilling propeller can damage the engine with negative tourque, lack of oil and so forth.

I've noticed that the game requires you to hit "I" as this resets most of your controls to the proper startup conditions, but I still have the best results when I reduce my throttle to around 10% (my throttle has a detent)

Hope this helps, is this a great sim/game, or what? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Good hunting,
Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle