PDA

View Full Version : Ta-152H1 GM-1 Operational?

Lufbery_Boy
02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
OK, sorry for another Noob question, but I'm not having any luck with the Forum Search function, so here goes...

Flying offline, FB AEP V2.04, and am trying out the Ta-152H1 to see if there's anything in the German arsenal to compete with the Spitfire HF IX, which seems to be the ultimate noob aircraft. Doras, FW 190 A-9's, even ME-262's and K4's: Offline the most noob of pilots sitting in a Spit IX cockpit begins to wonder if it was really that easy. I remember reading a tip back in August of 2004 that the Ta-152 performs best at 80-90% manual prop pitch, and at altitudes above 8000 meters should dominate any Allied fighter with GM-1 boost engaged. So I fly a dynamic campaign mission over Berlin against a squad of P47 D-10's, lure them up in a spiral climb to 10,000 meters with 110% power, GM-1 engaged, 90% prop pitch and radiator closed, expecting to give those suckers a lesson they'll never forget. What happens? As I anxiously follow their progress behind me as I pass the 10,000 meter mark, the nearest P47 closes on me to within firing range as my engine overheats! A P47 D-10, mind you, which when I fly in a quick mission at the same altitude barely maintains level flight and whose speed doesn't exceed 260 km/h indicated!

So I take a Ta152 H-1 up in a quick mission, beginning at 10.000 meters, and give her a speed check. Strange thing is, I noted no difference in level speed with GM-1 engaged and couldn't exceed 320 km/h indicated with or without GM-1 at 110% power. Am I doing something wrong here? Can anyone give me some advice on flying the Ta152 H-1 at altitude?

Any help much appreciated. Sorry again for the noob enquiry!

Salut

Lufbery_Boy
02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
OK, sorry for another Noob question, but I'm not having any luck with the Forum Search function, so here goes...

Flying offline, FB AEP V2.04, and am trying out the Ta-152H1 to see if there's anything in the German arsenal to compete with the Spitfire HF IX, which seems to be the ultimate noob aircraft. Doras, FW 190 A-9's, even ME-262's and K4's: Offline the most noob of pilots sitting in a Spit IX cockpit begins to wonder if it was really that easy. I remember reading a tip back in August of 2004 that the Ta-152 performs best at 80-90% manual prop pitch, and at altitudes above 8000 meters should dominate any Allied fighter with GM-1 boost engaged. So I fly a dynamic campaign mission over Berlin against a squad of P47 D-10's, lure them up in a spiral climb to 10,000 meters with 110% power, GM-1 engaged, 90% prop pitch and radiator closed, expecting to give those suckers a lesson they'll never forget. What happens? As I anxiously follow their progress behind me as I pass the 10,000 meter mark, the nearest P47 closes on me to within firing range as my engine overheats! A P47 D-10, mind you, which when I fly in a quick mission at the same altitude barely maintains level flight and whose speed doesn't exceed 260 km/h indicated!

So I take a Ta152 H-1 up in a quick mission, beginning at 10.000 meters, and give her a speed check. Strange thing is, I noted no difference in level speed with GM-1 engaged and couldn't exceed 320 km/h indicated with or without GM-1 at 110% power. Am I doing something wrong here? Can anyone give me some advice on flying the Ta152 H-1 at altitude?

Any help much appreciated. Sorry again for the noob enquiry!

Salut

Brain32
02-24-2005, 01:07 PM
There is a difference between Indicated Air Speed(IAS) and True Air Speed(TAS) you were obviously looking at IAS.
Simply check the IAS/TAS chart in the folder MANUAL on the CD(not sure wich one i think its the first FB CD).
You don't have to be ashamed of noob questions - in the begining we were all newbs http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif.

chaikanut
02-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I had a similar problem some time ago. I knew the difference between IAS and TAS but nevertheless, couldnt reach the speed indicated in the object viewer. Other members told me that high altitude flight dynamics are correct only on the crimean map and it takes a lot of time to reach maximum speed anyway. I only managed to reach the maximum speed for 9000 m (compared to a chart) by diving down from 10000 and waiting for the airplane to slow down a bit.

Lufbery_Boy
02-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I understand the difference between IAS and TAS, but haven't achieved anywhere near 752 km/h TAS with the Ta 152 at altitude. Will try the Crimea map and give it another try...

Salut

VW-IceFire
02-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Its not that the Crimea map is the only place that high altitude is modeled...thats silly.

The Crimea map is the place that Oleg suggested we do standardized testing because apparently the sim will even model the pressure differences and changes in climate from one location to another.

So testing at Okinawa may yeild slightly different results than on the Crimea map. That said, at 10,000 meters I doubt there's much to sneeze at in difference.

As for the Ta-152H at high alitutde...I'm told its not quite right. The P-47 and Spitfire HF (and any Spitfire really) were all great high alitude aircraft. Also keep in mind that you were fighting the AI which cheats. Or rather has a simplified FM model because the AI is not as sophsticated as a human (in short).

Try it against Humans.

dadada1
02-25-2005, 04:07 AM
From my own personal (and lengthy) association flying the TA 152 I've personally found that the best prop pitch to use is around 70%. The engine does'nt seem to overheat so fast using this setting. Like other posters have mentioned there is a difference between TAS and IAS and thats what you're seeing. If you get the 152 up to around 340 IAS at 10,000 metres your going at about the Ta 's max of 472mph. A few things to bear in mind though. It take around 4-5 minutes to reach that kind of speed, and you'll have to ignore the overheat message and fry the engine as well. Don't think your going to out accelerate another plane just because you have a higher top speed, things don't work like that. The best thing to do offline is to turn off the overheat option, that way you'll reach and possibly even surpass the quoted top speed for the TA 152. Once your at maximum velocity you will be untouchable by any other prop fighter. I don't know if it's me but since the last patch I've found the TA s high altitude turning ability to be better than it was before, but maybe this is a global change, I'm not sure. It would be very interetsing to hear from some other TA jocks about what they think about the performance now, particularly online. Robban, Zen or Fish,what do you feel now about the TA ?

Lufbery_Boy
02-25-2005, 07:15 AM
I was hoping to reach a dedicated Ta152 pilot out there. Thanks for the advice.

Will try turning off the overheat option when flying offline and set prop pitch to 70%. GM-1 boost is definitely raising the ATA pressure and rpms so it should have an effect if I bypass the overheat option and allow the aircraft to accelerate for 4-5 minutes.

As for flying online, I'd love to give it a try someday. Are there any servers out there still running with AEP V2.04? Thanks again.

dadada1
02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lufbery_Boy:
I was hoping to reach a dedicated Ta152 pilot out there. Thanks for the advice.

Will try turning off the overheat option when flying offline and set prop pitch to 70%. GM-1 boost is definitely raising the ATA pressure and rpms so it should have an effect if I bypass the overheat option and allow the aircraft to accelerate for 4-5 minutes.

As for flying online, I'd love to give it a try someday. Are there any servers out there still running with AEP V2.04? Thanks again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about servers running V2.04.

You may experience some problems keeping the aircraft straight and level @ 10.000, there is some thin air modelling going on in the sim. I found the secret is to keep checking the atificial horizon and inclinometer to ensure your flying straight and level at regular intervals. That way you'll stand the best chance of getting the plane up to speed ASAP. Once you reach max velocity check the flyby view quicky and you'll get a sense of just how fast the TA can go.

Energy retention is the secret to flying the TA as it gives it up very quick (quicker than the the D9). You can turn very tightly (tighter than any FW) at low level but you'll soon use up energy and find yourself either close to a stall, or too slow to get away from a lighter AC that will out accelerate you and shoot you down. I only execute tight turns if I've mananged to cripple a bandit in a high speed pass, or if I'm absolutely certain I'm going to get a good deflection shot. Stick to these rules at low level and you'll be successful. Up high now in V3.04 the Ta for me is turning tighter and holding energy better. I seem to remember (in V2.04)Spit HFs being very difficult to deal with because they use to outclimb and outurn me, now they're a little easier to deal with.

Let me know if you have any success getting top speed out of the TA, I can't remeber how she flies in V2.04.

wayno7777
02-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I also remember reading a post that said you have to back the throttle off 110 or 100 % before engagin or disengaging the GM-1.

LEXX_Luthor
02-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Ta GM~1 instructions are in the AEP readme file.

Don't sweat about turning Overheat OFF. AI does not seem to overheat, so...

More important, in almost all planes you NEED that ugly "hudlog" text on the screen to tell you the radiator position. The problem is the cylical radiator controls you can't keep track of in your head. I fly with hudlog OFF and...

hudlog OFF is more realistic than Overheat On which requires hudlog ON because of the radiator feedback text.

One good exception is I~185. The cowl radiator flaps look so cool from the cockpit when opened. You can see the rad positions so don't need the hudlog text. So in this plane I can use Overheat without hudlog text. Also, the I~185 cowl flaps open make for good gunnery challenge.