PDA

View Full Version : Help With Saitek X52 X / Y Axis Issue

Klussdog
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
OK, I have a problem with my Saitek X52 that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. More than not the X/Y Axis seems to get off center during game play. The only way to resolve the issue is to pause the game and unplug the unit and plug them back into the USB. This is maddening since it can happen again at any time.

I have spoken to Saitek and as usual they are unaware of the problem. When it first happened they told me he stick might be defective so I exchanged it for another. This did not resolve the problem.

Hoping that someone might have a fix.

TheGrunch
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Saitek's tech support are terrible, the problem was first reported several years ago by a number of different people and they aren't even slightly interested in investigating it. Not a word of reply on their forums anymore about the issue. It's their auto-calibration system going wrong. I don't know why they bothered with it, to be honest, I never minded the Windows calibration dialog.
My X45 was old enough to have missed out on that particular update, however my new Saitek Aviator has this problem, but only on the second throttle, I just ignore it until it stops doing it, to be honest, but it's annoying to occasionally be unable to dial in nose-up trim. I'm not too fussed about it myself, since I intend to get a Bodnar board and replace the internals sometime soon anyway, but I can imagine that having the same problem on the X or Y axis would be more than a little annoying.
The only fix I know about is the one you mention...although for some reason that one doesn't work for me.

Tried uninstalling the Saitek software and deleting all the Saitek drivers from your system? Does that give you back the calibration dialog?

RegRag1977
01-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Klussdog:
OK, I have a problem with my Saitek X52 that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. More than not the X/Y Axis seems to get off center during game play. The only way to resolve the issue is to pause the game and unplug the unit and plug them back into the USB. This is maddening since it can happen again at any time.

I have spoken to Saitek and as usual they are unaware of the problem. When it first happened they told me he stick might be defective so I exchanged it for another. This did not resolve the problem.

Hoping that someone might have a fix.

Hi Klussdog,

Sorry that you have a problem with your X52, maybe this can help you as it helped me...I cannot tell you the sim website where i found it for i only copied and pasted it in a txt file a very long time ago.

"Your problem is your registry.

I had this problem and it took some time to figure it wasn't anything I could have fixed easily. The following is an excerpt from a Saitek email.

In some cases, the calibration for the controller may be off. This may be an issue with a corrupted initial calibration of the controller. The following instructions involve changes to the Windows Registry. The registry is a very sensitive part of Windows and removing or editing the wrong value can cause a multitude of problems. See about making a backup of the registry before proceeding. In case you screw up! Do the following at your own risk! But this worked for me and within ten minutes my x52 was working. click Start, and Run. Type in "regedit".
- click on the plus sign next to " HKEY_LOCAL_machine"
- click on the plus sign next to "System"
- click on the plus sign next to "Current ControlSet"
- click on the plus sign next to "Control"
- click on the plus sign next to "MediaProperties"
- click on the plus sign next to "Privateproperties"
- click on the plus sign next to "DirectInput"
- Look for keys starting with VID_06A3 and delete them.
- Close the registry editor by clicking on Registry at the top then click exit.
- Reboot your machine.
-Recalibrate the controller by twisting the joystick, then rotate it around several times."

VXB77016
01-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Klussdog,

If you can live without macros, going without the Saitek driver software will eliminate the calibration issues you're dealing with. It's my hunch that the X-52's reputation for mechanical unreliability is largely a software, not a mechanical, issue. Having ditched the Saitek software, I've had 5 (going on 6) years of flawless performance from my X-52.

Klussdog
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by RegRag1977:

Sorry that you have a problem with your X52, maybe this can help you as it helped me...I cannot tell you the sim website where i found it for i only copied and pasted it in a txt file a very long time ago.

"Your problem is your registry.

I had this problem and it took some time to figure it wasn't anything I could have fixed easily. The following is an excerpt from a Saitek email.

In some cases, the calibration for the controller may be off. This may be an issue with a corrupted initial calibration of the controller. The following instructions involve changes to the Windows Registry. The registry is a very sensitive part of Windows and removing or editing the wrong value can cause a multitude of problems. See about making a backup of the registry before proceeding. In case you screw up! Do the following at your own risk! But this worked for me and within ten minutes my x52 was working. click Start, and Run. Type in "regedit".
- click on the plus sign next to " HKEY_LOCAL_machine"
- click on the plus sign next to "System"
- click on the plus sign next to "Current ControlSet"
- click on the plus sign next to "Control"
- click on the plus sign next to "MediaProperties"
- click on the plus sign next to "Privateproperties"
- click on the plus sign next to "DirectInput"
- Look for keys starting with VID_06A3 and delete them.
- Close the registry editor by clicking on Registry at the top then click exit.
- Reboot your machine.
-Recalibrate the controller by twisting the joystick, then rotate it around several times."

Yup, my search came up with the same fix which was posted in 2007 on Saiteks Forum by one of their UK Tecks. Looks as if deleting these files fixed the problem. Now only time will tell if it stays fixed for good.

Thanks for all the help!

stinger_142
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
i have a problem with left/right axis, it just stopped working. checked calibration, reinstalled drivers, cleaned entries of saitek from my registry. still no left/right axis working, running windows 7 x64.

Klussdog
01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your dilemma but it sounds as if your unit gave up the ghost and needs to be replaced. The same thing happened to mine a few years back and I found out through surfing forums that this is very common of Saiteks sticks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Insuber
01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
When the stick calibration of the X52 pro goes astray, a quick fix is to let the stick free and unplug/replug the DIN connector on the stick base itself. No need to unplug the USB.

I do need to unplug/replug the USB cable when the throttle calibration goes mad, instead.

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

stinger_142
01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
i just found a brown little cable usually been connected to the x-axis circuit chip been torned off the chip, so it kind of explains why the x-axis suddently stopped working on my x52

gothkrieger
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
sounds like when my x-45 dies I should not get a X-52, even though the problems can be solved, I don't have the time to toy with things to get it right. Would a CH stick be a better choice?

crucislancer
01-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Insuber:
When the stick calibration of the X52 pro goes astray, a quick fix is to let the stick free and unplug/replug the DIN connector on the stick base itself. No need to unplug the USB.

I do need to unplug/replug the USB cable when the throttle calibration goes mad, instead.

Cheers,
6S.Insuber

This is what I have to do as well, unplug the lead from the base of the joystick rather then unplug from the USB port. I haven't had a problem with the throttle at all, but my large rotary wheel doesn't work right anymore. I've had it for 3 years, so I'm not surprised that it's starting to fail.

Buffeted
01-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
sounds like when my x-45 dies I should not get a X-52, even though the problems can be solved, I don't have the time to toy with things to get it right. Would a CH stick be a better choice?

I bought a new X-52 earlier this month that lasted less than 2 weeks before it failed. Sad as I liked the design and performance. I don't understand how Saitek could still be having quality issues with a product thats been on the market this long.

Ch Products have a good quality reputation but don't have stick twist control for the rudder.

MajorBloodnok
02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
S!

Just thought I'd add my tuppence.

I had the same axis drift problem with the X52 but the registry delete seemed to fix it. However, it does recur every now and then and I think I've deleted the registry entries at least 3 times in the last few years to get it back again each time.

I see VXB77016 suggests not bothering with the macros at all - but does anyone know of a alternative utility or software set up that would allow assigning keys or should it just be done via the IL2 in-game menu, old style?

Any suggestiosn gratefully received.

best regards

Dacripler
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I had the same thing happen so I used the in game settings to map my keys- not the Saitek software profile

PCV72
02-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Hi.

I have never used the software, just the in game set up.

I have noticed my Y-Axis is crapping out, it seems only when I try to pull pitch up though. Unless I learn to fight completely in Neg Gs and inverted, I think I am in trouble. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have tried the Reg fix, but the stick feels all wrong.

Do I need to mess with the in game joystick settings?

FoolTrottel
02-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by PCV72:
Hi.

I have never used the software, just the in game set up.

I have noticed my Y-Axis is crapping out, it seems only when I try to pull pitch up though. Unless I learn to fight completely in Neg Gs and inverted, I think I am in trouble. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have tried the Reg fix, but the stick feels all wrong.

Do I need to mess with the in game joystick settings?
Welcome here!

First check what the stick is doing via the Control Panel, Game Controllers. Select it, click properties. It should show some graphical representation of the stick's position in a square. Move the stick around there, see how the moves are.
If it spikes, then you could try and put some higher value to the 'filtering' setting in game for the affected axis, but chances are a pot inside the stick is faulty, and filtering might help a bit, though probably only temporarily.
Good Luck!

PCV72
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks FoolTrottel.

I will do that. I have seen youtube tutorials on pulling the X52 apart and using blu-tack etc to change the way the magnets work.

My stick is no longer under warranty, so i may have to attempt one of these. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M_Gunz
02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by VXB77016:
Hi Klussdog,

If you can live without macros, going without the Saitek driver software will eliminate the calibration issues you're dealing with. It's my hunch that the X-52's reputation for mechanical unreliability is largely a software, not a mechanical, issue. Having ditched the Saitek software, I've had 5 (going on 6) years of flawless performance from my X-52.

+1

AngeloEvs
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I used Xpadder (does everything that SST does but MFD becomes pretty well redundant) for programming my X52 std and X52 Pro, (XP 32bit install with no Saitek drivers). If you have previously installed Saiteks drivers you will have to remove them manually. My Scroll wheel didn't function with standard XP driver (x52pro is fine).

All my X52std axis went out of calibration including slider, rotary's (weird deadzone issue), mini mouse (cursor moving bug) and was cured with a hardware fix.