PDA

View Full Version : Will Alta´r be able to swim in ACR?

Chewitt321
05-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Above says it all really, in AC1 we weren't able to swin- it would mean instant death. But with the arrival of AC2 some promotions said that Ezio had learnt to swim but in the manual Lucy said they fixed an animus bug to allow you to swim. So will the Alta´r levels feature swimming?

xsatanicjokerx
05-28-2011, 01:48 AM
If Desmond is not back in a animus 1.0 then altair will swim

SAVMATIC
05-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Lets hope not! All the Altair stans think it will ruin Altair! No!

iN3krO
05-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SAVMATIC:
Lets hope not! All the Altair stans think it will ruin Altair! No!

kidding me? one good thing they did to the game and u dont want bad all those bad things you want? -.-''

itsamea-mario
05-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe he won't get a chance to, but if we do come across water, it would only make sense to allow us to swim.

ChaosxNetwork
05-28-2011, 07:21 AM
It was a game, not like Altair actually couldn't swim. Come back to the real world my friend. All the stuff about a bug in the animus is just to make AC feel "Real"

Inorganic9_2
05-28-2011, 08:10 AM
I hope not, seeing as he couldn't swim in AC.

iN3krO
05-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

Animus had a bug but it was fixed in Animus 2.0 so we will be able to swim....

IIwangcarsII
05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Do you people really think he actually couldn't swim? An assassin who cant swim is like a vegetarian tiger!

iN3krO
05-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by JetChrisUK:
Do you people really think he actually couldn't swim? An assassin who cant swim is like a vegetarian tiger!

Lol? and guards that can't swim? -.-''

Inorganic9_2
05-28-2011, 08:55 AM
The "animus" stuff is just a way of explaining how we can die when our ancestors didn't.

iN3krO
05-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
The "animus" stuff is just a way of explaining how we can die when our ancestors didn't.

Ofc, our ancestors didn't die that's why when you lose live you start losing sync...

KrakenNLD
05-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Ow boy, as far as I know the reason Altair "could not" swim was because in his lifetime he didn't need to swim, yeah, I know this sounds weird but I compare the AC1 swimming as crossing over the white wall and desynchronizing.

Alta´r in its lifetime never was swimming, Ezio on the other hand, did. If a player somehow does swim as Altair, the memory is not synched anymore with reality (which means desynchronizing), remember, the story stated we were playing a MEMORY, a memory means you cannot alter it that much. The same can be said with after the white wall, Altair didn't travel to those locations at that time so still going there means you are not living through the memory. Which means desynchronizing, the same can be said with being killed... Altair and Ezio weren't killed at that time, so if a player gets killed they get desynchronized.

Which is the reason it is impossible to die as Desmond right about now. The game doesn't let you die as Desmond, and every death you have in AC1 and AC2(;Brotherhood) was a failed memory construction.

That Altair struggles while he falls in water is probably part of "the bug". Face it, at the time of AC1 they wanted water to kill Altair, but later with Ezio they made it possible to swim, this is that explanation ^^.

Yeah I know, doesn't make sense I guess.

sassinscreed
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
i think it will be cool to play altair here with all improvements they made from ac1 to ac2

kriegerdesgottes
05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Even if it wasn't an animus bug which I feel is kind of a shaky pretense, he still could have and prob would have learned to swim at some point in his life so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to swim considering these are the later days of his life too.

iN3krO
05-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sassinscreed:
i think it will be cool to play altair here with all improvements they made from ac1 to ac2

No No No... if they do it i will just stop playing AC forever! LOOOL they would ruin altair with all those changes (as they ruinned ac2 and acB)...

Mutley_Rulz
05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
It's says in the AC2 booklet thingy,

Lucy - Make sure to fix that annoying bug in the Animus 1.0 software which prevents ancestors from swimming!

I'm sure Altair can swim :|

exkrima
06-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Altair swim in the ending of Altair Chronicles right? and that is a prequel before AC1?

sassinscreed
06-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

Animus had a bug but it was fixed in Animus 2.0 so we will be able to swim.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

animus didn't have any bug ubisoft made altair unable to swim in ac1 for unknown reason

Blind2Society
06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetChrisUK:

Lol? and guards that can't swim? -.-'' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Much more plausible than a master assassin who can't.

Originally posted by sassinscreed:
animus didn't have any bug ubisoft made altair unable to swim in ac1 for unknown reason
Foolishness.

He better be able to swim.

BingChandler
06-19-2011, 08:05 AM
The ability to swim was actually pretty rare in Ezio's time, let alone Altair's. It makes sense that Altair couldn't swim; however, I think we can all agree his ability to drown in three feet of water was pretty annoying.

As much as I consider myself an Altair purist, only a masochist would want Altair to melt as he did in AC1 when introduced to water. Factor in the AC2 booklet quite and yes I believe he will be able to swim. I hope so, too.

EmmaBemma
06-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by BingChandler:
The ability to swim was actually pretty rare in Ezio's time, let alone Altair's.
Was it really? Not arguing, just genuinely curious.

Anyway, I don't think it's too difficult to keep afloat in water for some period of time, at least. I certainly think anyone capable of scaling church towers would be able to manage it. I'd like it if the guards didn't die when they fell in water too. They don't have to necessarily be Olympic swimmers, they could just bob about and doggy paddle.

BingChandler
06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:

Was it really? Not arguing, just genuinely curious.

Well, I'm certainly no expert on swimming, but I was taught that until the early 19th century swimming was hardly an activity for all. In Ezio's time, for example, swimming was certainly known to exist, but the great majority of water sources available were too dangerous to swim in. The fact that much of the water would be filthy in and around large centers of population (Venice) certainly had something to do with it.

Only nobles could afford the luxury of swimming in what would eventually become modern pools. So yes, it is plausible that Ezio would know how to swim, perhaps much better than most of the populace.

Anyone can flail about in shallow water, but the rhythmic and strong swimming Ezio shows was truly a rare trait in the 15-16th centuries. True to point, most sailors drowned when their ships sank up until the mid 19th century due to their inability to swim (not saying they would have lived anyhow, just pointing out they couldn't tread water).

We didn't truly embrace the water until the 1800s, and even then our swimming style was very primitive compared to today's Olympic events. Just look at some of the swimming styles listed from the old Olympics!

I'm basing all of this off of human physical evolution classes I had back at University, so please forgive me if it is not correct. It has just always been my understanding that competent swimming was not something widely seen or embraced until much later than either Altair or Ezio lived.

wiccanlovely
06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I hope to the gods that he'll be able to, though the 'hydrophobia' jokes that pop up everywhere online are pretty funny. I could relate in that way just because I'm terrified of swimming in any water that goes above my head. A nice side effect of nearly drowning in a YMCA pool as a kid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

But I digress...

Blind2Society
06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm no expert either but it certainly sounded convincing to me.

El_Sjietah
06-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
Anyway, I don't think it's too difficult to keep afloat in water for some period of time, at least. I certainly think anyone capable of scaling church towers would be able to manage it. I'd like it if the guards didn't die when they fell in water too. They don't have to necessarily be Olympic swimmers, they could just bob about and doggy paddle.
Having a few dozen pounds of armor strapped onto you makes swimming rather difficult. In WW2, most soldiers that landed on D Day could swim perfectly well, but many of them still drowned because of the extra weight they had to carry.

However, to assume a highly trained assassin would overlook the advantage that the ability to swim would give him is rather farfetched imo.

Stowdace
06-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Who's to say he would have to in the flashbacks? Don't have to in the flashback in AC2. As or Altair not being able to swim, simple. There wasn't enough in the Brotherhood's budget to afford lessons for their top assassin.

Calvarok
06-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Just like Freerunning was not a usual skill. :P

Assassins trained for that kind of stuff far before it was normal to. I wouldn't look to much into it, but I think Altair just never really needed to, and that's why he desynched. Ignore his drowning animation, that can be explained away as the animus trying to find some reason for him desynching.

EmmaBemma
06-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
Having a few dozen pounds of armor strapped onto you makes swimming rather difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did think of bringing that up but I thought maybe that was being pedantic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif I'd love for Armour to actually affect your abilities but I doubt that's going to happen.

AdmiralPerry
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I too can relate to Altair drowning--I can't swim, either. That said, the first thing I'm gonna do in the first Altair sequence in Revelations is find the nearest pool of water and leap into it. For old time's sake.

Also, I don't want to derail this thread, but I just had an interesting thought. What happens if, while Ezio is exploring one of Altair's memories, he strays too far from the sequence of events? We know Desmond desynchronizes--what will happen with Ezio? How will he "desynchronize"? Maybe I'm reading too much into what's been revealed so far, but I'm just wondering, since these seals act like an Animus for Ezio. That would've been a good question to ask for the GameInformer podcast...

Eric_490
06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
lol hes an assassin, and the best one that ever existed at the time and for ages to come so he better be able to swim.

How do you become the greatest assassin ever and live on a planet that is 75% water, and not know how to swim. Not to mention 100 feet outside Masyaf is a gigantic river. -____-

Just like when people compare AC2 and AC1 and say Ezio is a better fighter.

No hes not, Ubisoft was just limited by technology when they made AC1. They could not show Altair's full potential.

ARandomKid
06-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Instead of swimming, he will attempt to cross a lake (he gets across in a boat, which gets washed out to sea) to go back from putting the last seal thing in a castle or something and vaporize/melt/violently explode like a stick of dynamite the instant he touches the water. This is how he ends up dying, in canon.

We will all stare at our monitors in shock at the sheer stupidity of having this actually happen.

Eric_490
06-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by ARandomKid:
Instead of swimming, he will attempt to cross a lake (he gets across in a boat, which gets washed out to sea) to go back from putting the last seal thing in a castle or something and vaporize/melt/violently explode like a stick of dynamite the instant he touches the water. This is how he ends up dying, in canon.

We will all stare at our monitors in shock at the sheer stupidity of having this actually happen.

Hahaha, your name is quite accurate.

tjbyrum1
06-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Look, Ubi didn't just say "Let's make it where Altair doesn't know how to swim, later we can make other Assassin's swim because they would know how, but let's make it so Altair doesn't know hot to swim.

Swimming just wasn't put in the game - it just wasn't.

To make you see what I mean clearer, pretend like Ezio Auditore was the character in the first Assassin's Creed. If that was the case, then Ezio 'would not know how to swim'. Altair, being in the second, would know how to swim.

It was just an improvement, something they added, they didn't necessarily MAKE it so Altair had no idea how to swim.

That's like saying "I wonder if Altair is smart enough to buy things from shops this time, cause he wasn't in I."

"I hope Altair is strong enough and skilled enough to wield two Hidden Blades, cause he wasn't in number I."

"Hopefully Altair is smart enough to know how to make and use a Hidden Gun, cause he couldn't in I."

"Hopefully Altair can do Execution Streaks, cause he was not skilled enough in I."

"I wonder if Altair can climb-leap, he didn't know how to in I."

They're just gameplay improvements.

iN3krO
06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
Look, Ubi didn't just say "Let's make it where Altair doesn't know how to swim, later we can make other Assassin's swim because they would know how, but let's make it so Altair doesn't know hot to swim.

Swimming just wasn't put in the game - it just wasn't.

To make you see what I mean clearer, pretend like Ezio Auditore was the character in the first Assassin's Creed. If that was the case, then Ezio 'would not know how to swim'. Altair, being in the second, would know how to swim.

It was just an improvement, something they added, they didn't necessarily MAKE it so Altair had no idea how to swim.

That's like saying "I wonder if Altair is smart enough to buy things from shops this time, cause he wasn't in I."

"I hope Altair is strong enough and skilled enough to wield two Hidden Blades, cause he wasn't in number I."

"Hopefully Altair is smart enough to know how to make and use a Hidden Gun, cause he couldn't in I."

"Hopefully Altair can do Execution Streaks, cause he was not skilled enough in I."

"I wonder if Altair can climb-leap, he didn't know how to in I."

They're just gameplay improvements.

Execution Streaks were a improvement but not balanced... it needs to be nerfed :x