PDA

View Full Version : Engine settings

Ian_montreal
11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone!

I am new to the serie, though not to flight sims in general, and I would need a bit of help from all the veterans in here to guide me through engine management.

I find that the manual is, hmmm, slightly short concerning this subject.

Is there anywhere I can find references on how to maximize propeller pitch, mixture supercharger etc. depending on my situation (combat, cruise, landing...) and altitude, and finally depending on my airplane!

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Ian_montreal
11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone!

I am new to the serie, though not to flight sims in general, and I would need a bit of help from all the veterans in here to guide me through engine management.

I find that the manual is, hmmm, slightly short concerning this subject.

Is there anywhere I can find references on how to maximize propeller pitch, mixture supercharger etc. depending on my situation (combat, cruise, landing...) and altitude, and finally depending on my airplane!

Thanks in advance!

Ian

ZG77_Lignite
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Needless to say, this is a complex subject. Here is a good primer: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/cemguide/intro.htm

Your best bet may be to focus more on one aircraft (or aircraft type), as they vary quite a lot from type to type. Here is a short view on the subject:

'Throttle': Also known as Manifold Pressure (see the guage), this is your primary indicator of horsepower output (coupled with engine RPM, sometimes mistakenly refered to as 'prop pitch'). Higher settings use more fuel, create more heat, and give more power.

'Prop Pitch': A somewhat misleading generic term in the game, which models (at least) 4 different types of systems, from Constant Speed Props to Kommandergerats. Choose an aircraft type for more detailed information, but in general, lower % equals less power and higher fuel economy, decreased heating.

'Mixture': Determines the fuel/air mixture going into the engine, as altitude increases, fuel mixture must be decreased (less dense air). Many aircraft have automatic adjustments, if not, lower mixture as needed (listen or check RPM/manifold pressure).

'Superchargers': Determines how much air is being crammed into the engine, as altitude increases, air density decreases. Many aircraft have two (or more) speed superchargers or turbosuperchargers, which need to be 'shifted' up at the correct altitude, which is aircraft specific (generally around 3000m). Many aircraft are automatic (or do not require adjustments)

'Radiator': A somewhat generalized feature (though modeled quite realistically on a per-plane basis), the further 'open' it is, the more airflow (and thus cooling) over your engine, at the cost of increased drag (reduction of speed). Many aircraft have automatic radiator thermostats, but remember they will 'open' when you are pooring on the coal.

Ian_montreal
11-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Anyone?

Ian_montreal
11-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Ok Thanks for the link!

Very appreciated!

Jason Bourne
11-29-2004, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
'Radiator': A somewhat generalized feature (though modeled quite realistically on a per-plane basis), the further 'open' it is, the more airflow (and thus cooling) over your engine, at the cost of increased drag (reduction of speed). Many aircraft have automatic radiator thermostats, but remember they will 'open' when you are pooring on the coal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, on auto mode, the radiator will start to close as you go faster.