PDA

View Full Version : 13.5 inches of snow

bunkerratt
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
the header says it all 28 hrs of snow ....13.5 inches... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

tambor198
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
We got over 11 inches of snow here in Chicago today. I'm almost beginning to think thats it winter around here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

GoldenEagle8
02-06-2008, 09:26 PM
It's coming down hard here too, school for tomorrow is already closed. SWEET! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kaleun1961
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
See my post in the U-boat trivia thread. We here in Ontario got hit with the same storm that hit you other folks in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. Luckily, my son was off duty yesterday and let me drive his Silverado 4x4 to work. Man, that is one nice truck! I just plowed right through that snow and left everybody in my wake. I think I ticked off one driver in a little Toyota Tercel. He was turtle crawling along at about 15 mph. I got tired of his snail pace and just went around him; I didn't cut him off or intrude into his/her lane any, just went on by and kept on trucking. I suppose this Highway Hitler [my term for some Nancy Boy/Girl who is too afraid to drive in the snow and insists on sitting in the plowed land and creeping along while a ten mile line of ticked off drivers curses them. Pull into the right lane or stay at home, you wusses!] thought everybody should proceed at his/her pace.

I've operated tractor trailers for over 20 years in all kinds of weather and I have no patience for scared, fair weather drivers. If you can't drive at a reasonable pace, stay at home or putt putt along in the right lane. Don't hog the only cleared lane, or worse, straddle the only two cleared lanes and then inch along like a snail. I really hate those wusses who must straddle between the only two cleared lanes on a three or four lane road that is only half cleared. I swear sometimes that if I had "roo bars" on my vehicle, I'd push them aside.

Today I drove in using my trusty little 2003 Toyota Echo. It's a front wheel drive car and I have four snow tires on it. I have an extra set of steel rims for that purpose, so all I have to do is remove the whole wheel twice a year, instead of constantly mounting and dismounting tires on the same set of rims. Anyhow, it's really good in the snow and my 2006 Dodge Charger is a rear drive car and I don't have the spare cash to splurge for four more rims and snow tires for it as well. The Echo was in the shop yesterday to have its power steering and alternator belts replaced. I don't know how it happened, but I hit very deep snow a few times during the previous storm earlier this week and the power steering belt shredded itself. On the way home I had to dig myself out of the parking lot here at work and noticed the steering was stiff when I turned. I'm not a mechanic so I can't say for sure, but I think I may have caused it as I was thrashing about trying to extricate myself from the snow, doing those forward/backward rocking maneuvers necessary to get out of deep snow. So, just as this second storm is hitting yesterday, my wife takes it into the shop and gets it fixed, $140 including parts, labour and taxes. Not too bad, really. My local Toyota dealership is very reputable and doesn't try to stick it to you. I sure was glad, though, to have that 4x4 yesterday. Today my son is on duty so he has his truck back. The roads were reasonably plowed, but the private contractor is slow to get to our company lot. Again today, as during the earlier storm this week, I had to build up speed and ram my way through the unplowed entrance to the lot; the snow made deeper by the roadway plows dumping more snow in the entrance. I'm sure the plow crews who clear the streets and dump snow at the end of our driveways are the most cursed people in Canada and the U.S. this time of year.

bunkerratt
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
and then i snapped the rear driveshaft on the jeep cheroke....thank god for four wheel drive...we live at the end of a culdusac ..i sat all day and watched fools get trapped trying to turn around..the new yorker was plowed in ..i had enough room to back up about 5 ft. then put it in low and gave her all i could we exploded from the plow spoils in a white cloud.....the national gurd is out retriving cars and trucks from the interstate as i type...as it is i liked watching the parade of road graders frontend loaders and dumptruck plows ..the most fun is seeing the morons who scrape off a 10 inch by 10 inch peep hole on the windshield..and try to drive... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Kaleun1961
02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a bit confused: you just snapped the drive shaft on your Cherokee but were still able to drive it, or did you use another vehicle? Good thing you have the Guard. We don't have much here in Canada in terms of reserve units, or even regular forces. If you live near a base you might get a response, but most of our combat troops and gear are overseas right now. You're much more likely to be rescued by a civilian using his own snowmobile than by a military unit.

I once snapped a drive shaft on a Ford Louisville tractor. After hooking up to a trailer it is the usual practice to put it in gear and give it a short tug to ensure you have hooked up properly. This one time I hooked up and gave it a little tug and the drive shaft snapped off by the universal joint and dropped to the ground. I didn't overtorque it or anything like that, it must have been metal fatigue. Only time it has ever happened to me.

bunkerratt
02-07-2008, 10:26 AM
use the front transaxle ..disconnected the rear shaft ..mind you i was not going very fast or very far....

PhantomKira
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I just got my car washed last week after a month of this junk built up on it. Then it snows again! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Oh well, I guess this is the midwest afterall, what should I expect?

I agree with above statements regarding slowpokes, but I must admit that even with a front wheel drive manual transmission Toyota sedan product, I still take it easy in this weather. It won't do to have to pay some towing company to get me out of a ditch I wouldn't be in if I'd just been a little more careful. It's also my only vehicle, so if it gets injured, I'll have a big problem.

I consider myself a fairly careful driver, but I've still had one or two incidences of lost traction, one of which resulted in some not so much fun with the tail starting to come around considerably up north near Madison. I slowed down even more after that!

Kaleun1961
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I have no problem with "taking it easy." That's prudent advice and in snow I don't try to do the posted speed limit just because it is the speed limit. Somehow, Phantom Kira, I don't think you'd slot into the "slow poke" category. I'm speaking here of the real turtles, the ones who have a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel and are terrified of even turning their heads for a fraction of a second to look in their rear view mirror to see the mile long lineup of cars that they are creating by their obstructive driving. I'm the type of guy who drives in the right lane with the cruise control set at the speed limit [in normal weather] and only leave that lane to pass someone slower. If I have to move over for a few seconds, such as when making room for an 18-wheeler entering the highway, I speed up so as not to slow down the guy who is catching up to me, then I move back into the right lane and drop back down again to the speed limit. I feel very ashamed of myself if I have other drivers passing me on the inside. As a general rule, if you are regularly being passed on the "inside" then you are driving too slowly for the lane you are in.

Driving in winter is really not all that difficult. It's just that there are too many drivers out there who are clueless in the best of conditions; challenging them with snow or ice is too much for them to handle. I am only ticked off by the incompetent and frightened ones when they obstruct those of us who are not afraid to drive through snow and ice. Just do us the courtesy of allowing us the room to pass. Or stay home or take public transit. Dominating the only cleared lane on a road and then travelling at 15 to 20 miles per hour is just plain rude and ignorant. If you have people lined up behind you flashing their lights, blowing their horns and waving their hands at you, do them the favour of moving out of the way.

I don't want people to think I'm some kind of maniac in the snow. In yesterday's snow, it was possible to travel at about 60 to 70 kph, provided you left enough space. Down a plowed sideroad you could easily travel at that speed, but for some terrified woman putt putting along at 25 kph!

PhantomKira
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
25kph? Isn't that like 12mph? [Edit: 15.5] And we get all bent out of shape when people do 25, if conditions don't warrent it!

Or stay home or take public transit.

Now there's an idea very few people have heard of, apparently. "But the roads are bad! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif" Yeah, they are. Stay Home!

Ah, the "People who don't know what snow is, never mind how to drive in it" catagory.

Reminds me of many years ago when we had a big snow in Delaware (I was maybe eight). Ha! Dad and I got out the old C tractor and went around pulling people out of places they wouldn't be in if they knew what they were doing. I remember one kid, sitting there, flooring the accelerator, going nowhere fast. Yep. Fun!

Kaleun1961
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Yup, 25 kph, or about 15 miles per hour. I came up so fast on this lady I thought she was parked in the middle of the road. That's the kind of ubiquitous idiot we have in Ontario. People out west laugh at Ontario and how it goes into panic mode when we get some snow. The dingbat mayor of Toronto a few years ago called in the Armed Forces to shovel snow during one storm. Imagine, calling in the army to shovel snow when the city is full of idle welfare bums. I'd have used those soldiers to go to all the bum hangouts and compel them at gunpoint to man a shovel for their handout. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif