PDA

View Full Version : My reinstall experience.

Waldo.Pepper
10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
My reinstall experience.

I kept reading all these posts on how other people were having trouble. I didn't think I had any problem but all these posts started to prey on my mind. What if I was having trouble and did not know it?

So anyway I backed up my whole ubi soft directory to an attached external USB 2.0 drive I have. That was quick and easy and great!

Then I downloaded fresh copies of the patches, and checked them to make sure that they were OK.

I reinstalled FB, then AEP, then PF, then 303m, then 401m then 402m. Each time I took the time to Start PF and then reboot before the next set of discs or patches were installed.

I took careful notes about what my various settings were in the controls and game settings before hand so getting things back to normal was not too much of a pain. If I screwed anything up I always had the luxury of taking a peek at my old install, which I still retained on my external USB drive, so that was handy.

And the results?

Well I was right, my original install was not dramatically hooped. However, I think things are better anyway. Control of all the planes seems a little crisper, if only marginally so.

Most of us sometimes go to great lengths for a performance enhancement. This one is a freebee. It only costs time. I thought it would be a bigger pain than it was, and I am glad I did it.

All in all, I am well pleased that I took the time to reinstall. Now I KNOW that there is nothing amiss.

Kuna15
10-24-2005, 04:00 PM
So basically you are saying that your game (ours also) would be just the same in case of reinstall (just fresh conf.ini that would make some change, but then again that file is not hard to find)?

I am not surprised. I have think about it, and figured what could be wrong with my installation; other than some minor changes to conf.ini and few skins in PaintSchemes I didn't do anything else with my old install.

And TBH I am too lazy for new one (I have separate FB and AEP).

WOLFMondo
10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I did the same, did a fresh installation. Can't say I noticed any difference apart from it doesn't periodically crash any more, which is a good thing.

FA_Whisky
10-25-2005, 01:30 AM
I did the same. My old install was not really messed up, but i think a fresh one is better now.... Lost a few fps though...