PDA

View Full Version : Just curious - a few questions... (OT maybe?)

Phil_C
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I am getting a new system with a physics card, and i was wondering if it will have any impact on how 46 will run, or is the card more geared for newer software titles, that have commands built in directed to the cards?

Also is anyone having any major issues with the 8800 Ultra's in sli mode? like are the black circles back/gone? I see some people are having some studder issues with them but im not sure if they are in single or SLI mode, and i thought it best to ask anyway.

Due to my POS Alienware crapping out every 7 months, i haven't had a chance to really do much gaming, or anything other than fight them to get it fixed for that matter, so i am somewhat out of the loop on some of the new products out there.

FritzGryphon
10-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Newer games will support the physics cards.

From what I've heard, they're used mainly to offload Havok effects and particle physics. Like the barrels and boxes in HL2, FEAR, and so forth. Also seen smoke that blows with the wind and reacts to objects.

Theoretically, SoW might utilize a physics card for vehicle movement and dust/cloud/smoke simulation, but only if it's based on one of the standardized physics systems that the cards will support. But given that development was started when these cards didn't exist, I'd doubt it.

Some games that do support it:
http://www.ageia.com/physx/videos.html

super71957
10-07-2007, 02:22 AM
Interesting about the physics.
I just played thru FEAR and of course saw plenty of what can be done.
I have a BFG 6800 GT card and had no problem with boxes flying around and seeing plenty of paricle physics.
According to GURU3D website the additional card is not needed to see these features.
And I concur ,it all works just fine with a decent video card.
By the way if you have not played FEAR,I highly recommend it.Even if you are not the First Person Shooter type this one is quite fantastic.
Hey,I love IL2, but this is one FPS that really is above the rest.