PDA

View Full Version : collecting flags

sinasayan
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
is there a point of collecting flags? sth like an extra episode or new ability ? something make you collect them all? or just waste of time?

Tela
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
If you're playing a 360, then you get acheivememnts. If not, then they're there for those people who like to get everything.

If you're not on a 360 and don't like getting everything, then they don't have much of a purpose. Don't get them if you don't want to. -_-

Also, there have been many threads in the past about this. Please use search next time. -_-

Bobfish_Almight
05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I think it's purely for the satisfaction

Archetype_Zero
05-15-2008, 06:19 AM
in the PS3 version they give you "additional memories." although i'm not sure exactly what an additional memory is, because i just recently restarted the game. i never got all the flags anywhere besides Masyaf.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Additional memories are nothing. It's purely for satisfaction, time wasting, hollow feeling of accomplishment, or a higher gamescore depending on your console of choice. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

For instance, gaining every High Point in the Kingdom is an additional memory, yet accomplishing it only fills color on that specific DNA strand.

(People like me can't stand having one strand empty while all the rest are filled, so it puts emphasis on completing everything in the game)

Bobfish_Almight
05-15-2008, 07:05 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Marek86
05-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Collecting flags is completley pointless, and I would advise not to do so, as it is a rather exponentially large waste of time.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I disagree on that point. Yes, it takes a huge amount of time for no significant gain. But think of the satisfaction you would receive from finding every last one of them all on your own

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Bobfish_Almight:
I disagree on that point. Yes, it takes a huge amount of time for no significant gain. But think of the <STRIKE>satisfaction</STRIKE> frustration you would receive from finding every last one of them all on your own There, I fixed that for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif No need to thank me, I know it's appreciated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The only practical use for the flags is increasing the capacity of your sync bar faster.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:11 AM
'Faster' you say. Only if you know exactly where they all are

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I only go after the ones I notice as I'm running over rooftops. I don't hunt for them. I think that's still technically 'faster' than if I didn't pick them up at all, yes?

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:20 AM
True, true. But I thought you needed to get all of them for a sync update?

cooldude6681
05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Nope, just 15. 15 anything (side quests, flags, etc.) gives you another bar.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Cool, I must have missed that bit last time around. In that case I completely agree with everything you say

BlairCullen02
05-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm just collecting them for achievements. You can get Additional Memories on 360 as well.
Xbox360 = Win.

Bobfish_Almight
05-16-2008, 01:32 PM
OMD ftw

Hayden_v
05-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Marek86:
Collecting flags is completley pointless, and I would advise not to do so, as it is a rather exponentially large waste of time.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

petestar1969
05-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Collecting flags is a lot like killing all the Templars - takes forever and has absolutely no point.

Bobfish_Almight
05-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Well, Templars = evil

So, killing Templars = win

petestar1969
05-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bobfish_Almight:
Well, Templars = evil

So, killing Templars = win

what? Please explain in English.

Bobfish_Almight
05-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't like the Templars, so killing them all is a good thing

Jack_Vykios
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by petestar1969:
Collecting flags is a lot like killing all the Templars - takes forever and has absolutely no point. Killing Templars is actually something mildly fun. Looking around a massive city for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours for a bunch of flags...well, that's really dull.
You can't DO anything with them, you don't win anything. All they're useful for is in fights as "health packs". Final battle, for instance; there's two flags in that area, allowing you to last quite a while if you need them.

I just remember picking the game up and, while playing it just thinking "collecting...flags? Why? Who cares? Just make more.", or, infinetly more pathetic, those informants who had...lost flags...and wanted me to run around and...collect them within a time limit...are you serious? Al Mualim wants you to bring him flags? Why? What's he gonna do with them? And why would you make them in Jerusalem instead of Masyaf?

*walks off arguing with clouds*

Archetype_Zero
05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
yeah, the flag stuff seemed like an odd choice for such a realistic game. it seems almost like suddenly playing an arcade version of the AC when you start the informant flag missions. they might as well challenge you to duels, rollerskating matches, and fashion shows while they're at it...

as far as the collectable flags...it's a neat idea, if only it were linked to something. i mean, i do enjoy finding a flag at random here and there, but actually going out just to look for them is so tedious. if only there were escalating rewards for getting them, you know, instead of having to get all 100 maybe you'd get something for each 20 or so. having everything but ONE flag in the game would drive me crazy.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
And of course having a huge, incredible reward would encourage you to look for that one last flag with all your might. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Other than an achievement, zero reward. And for PlayStation users, not even that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Getting another bar of synchronization is not enough to drive people to collect them, seeing how I can max out my bar with every other aspect of the game. Why bother searching for every last darned flag when it's so much easier to spot High Points, save citizens, and kill the occasional Templar?

I say in Assassin's Creed 2, they should do something like "scroll collecting," where you look for different scrolls in a city, and collecting them all would unlock secret areas, knowledge, techniques, discounts and vouchers for the latest in assassin technology at your local assassin's bureau etc.

And even make people go on quests to get them, such as treasure hunting, one clue leads to the next, or saving a citizen means that they give you a scroll that they found, something like that. Stumbling across flags is just too random and tedious.

Bobfish_Almight
05-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Archetype_Zero:
yeah, the flag stuff seemed like an odd choice for such a realistic game. it seems almost like suddenly playing an arcade version of the AC when you start the informant flag missions. they might as well challenge you to duels, rollerskating matches, and fashion shows while they're at it...

as far as the collectable flags...it's a neat idea, if only it were linked to something. i mean, i do enjoy finding a flag at random here and there, but actually going out just to look for them is so tedious. if only there were escalating rewards for getting them, you know, instead of having to get all 100 maybe you'd get something for each 20 or so. having everything but ONE flag in the game would drive me crazy.

Like on the Grand Theft Auto games. When you start getting weapons placed outside your safe houses. Maybe you could have throwing knives and things like that waiting at the bureaux

Archetype_Zero
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
my main issue with the flags is really...how did they get there? not to mention where exactly he's storing all these flags. the game has no inventory system, so what exactly is he doing with them all? does he have 100's of flags hidden under his robes somewhere? you'd think his master would get a little annoyed at him for running around stealing random flags instead of focusing on his missions...

extra throwing knives would be a good idea, and i like the scroll ideas too. honestly, i'd love for them to put in anything that: A. tied it into the story, B. is rewarding in some way and C. makes sense

now if you'll excuse me, my friend threw some flags on top of all the buildings in my town, so i have to go tresspass on everyone's property and collect them even though i have nowhere to store them, so that he can put a checkmark by "collect random flags for no reason" on my to-do list for today. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Desmond108
05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Archetype_Zero:
my main issue with the flags is really...how did they get there? not to mention where exactly he's storing all these flags. the game has no inventory system, so what exactly is he doing with them all? does he have 100's of flags hidden under his robes somewhere? you'd think his master would get a little annoyed at him for running around stealing random flags instead of focusing on his missions...

extra throwing knives would be a good idea, and i like the scroll ideas too. honestly, i'd love for them to put in anything that: A. tied it into the story, B. is rewarding in some way and C. makes sense

now if you'll excuse me, my friend threw some flags on top of all the buildings in my town, so i have to go tresspass on everyone's property and collect them even though i have nowhere to store them, so that he can put a checkmark by "collect random flags for no reason" on my to-do list for today. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

actually, the book that comes with the game explains why the flags are there and why Altair was motivated to get them.

You see, in those times, flags were used to mark property, and who owned what.

Assassin's however believed that the land belonged to everyone, and that no one person(s) should be allowed to own it, so Altair would take the flags to "un-mark" properties and territories.

Kaxen6
05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
My main issue with the flags is that they are so flat that they are practically invisible from some angles -_-'

Apparently I am among the minority when I want to collect all those darn flags just for the sake of collecting all those darn flags.

ScytheOfGrim
05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I like collecting the flags because they have that nice shiny effect to them...

But I want to avoid them because once collected they blind you in this annoying, almost holy, white light... -_-

Talk about a dilemma... >_>
Nice that they included some form of collectible item though.

Desmond108
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Kaxen6:
My main issue with the flags is that they are so flat that they are practically invisible from some angles -_-'

Apparently I am among the minority when I want to collect all those darn flags just for the sake of collecting all those darn flags.

I got them for the sake of getting all the achievements and having every single DNA bar in the animus filled up....

I might have OCD or something.

Kaxen6
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Desmond108:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:

I got them for the sake of getting all the achievements and having every single DNA bar in the animus filled up....

I might have OCD or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play on PS3 so I don't get achievements -_-'

Bobfish_Almight
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Don't get achievements with the PC either. But filling all the DNA sequences is still enough reason for me.

OMD FTW!!!

j.f.luteijn
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to collect as many flags as possible. On the way from Jerusalem to Acre you see the remnants of a Roman city. On the top of a pillar you've a flag. I've tried to jump from the triumpharch on a pillar and then on the pillar with the flag on top of it. But I lack a few centimeters to land on that pillar; I always fall on the ground. You can't climb on it. How can I reach the flag?

Julius

DarkxSniperx9
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
It gives you a new cape. The Borgia Cape to be exact

Biomedical-Fire
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I have to replay the game to collect all of the flags because the development team decided to put some of the flags in the Brutus chambers where you have to complete it in 8 minutes to get full synchronization and in order to do this you must skip collecting them or treasure chests.

sandmanssorrow
12-13-2010, 04:16 PM
If you get all of them including the secret location flags it unlocks the Borgia Cape (xbox) which them sets your notoriety to null permanently, which i useless if you like lots of guards chasing you all the time, which I do cos killing them is fun.