PDA

View Full Version : what about the new overcast clouds?

tmdgm
10-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Read somewhere there was new overcast clouds? Any news/screenies on this?

tmdgm
10-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Read somewhere there was new overcast clouds? Any news/screenies on this?

triggerhappyfin
10-24-2004, 08:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmdgm:
Read somewhere there was new overcast clouds? Any news/screenies on this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somebidy pulling your leg? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

VW-IceFire
10-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Nope...Oleg was talking about them. He said they were not ready yet but may show up in a future patch to the game. I'm willing to wait to see them.

I think they were under alot of pressure to deliver for Christmas time frame (and indeed that IS important). If this game lives or dies by the release date and it gets some addons later...I can live with that. We'll all be thankful later.

actionhank1786
10-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Yeah Oleg did say he wanted to include it in an upcoming patch, but he wasnt sure if it would be the first one or not.
Apparentlt it's pretty CPU intensive too.
But we all know how Oleg is with Add ons, so my hopes for PF are even greater when i think of the few planes flyable in Il-2 originally, and the face that we have what, 180 flyable now?
Any other sime that can do that with mods all supported by the developer? I've never heard of em

Deathreaper666
10-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Real looking clouds are really nice, just look at LOMAC. The cost is a severe hit to the fps AND all the moaning it will cause because 99% of the people's rigs can't handle it.

Fennec_P
10-24-2004, 12:07 PM
From how Oleg describes it, I imagine it will be similar to how clouds are done in lomac.

I just hope it doesn't have those cardboard diorama-like artifacts in it.

Philipscdrw
10-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I like Il-2's clouds, except when I'm directly under or over them and turning.

CHDT
10-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Download this demo:

http://www.clubic.com/t/jeux/fiche/1040.html

The game is very arcadish, but the clouds are very convincing, even on a low-end computer.

So, it's perhaps possible to have good clouds without a big fps hit.

I played with the demo at 1600 by 1200 and the clouds very very fine without stutters.

CHDT
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Other thing, I would really like to have an high overcast sky like in Strike Fighters, because it looks very good.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
10-24-2004, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fennec_P:
I just hope it doesn't have those cardboard diorama-like artifacts in it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are caused by the advanced haze shaders, which IIRC are lower res (640x480) than some of the other textures. I hope they get that fixed at I get some really strange shoreline crosshatching on overcast days because of it. Didn't get 'em w/my 9800XT but I do w/my 6800GT.

fuser59
10-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Glad to see this Topic!

It is amazing how much that clouds and weather add to your mood and feeling in a Flight Sim. I would think that FS9 Type weather with winds aloft and at the surface, along with dew point and temperature, High and Low pressure points, Up and Downdrafts, and windshear, will be something the game designers for THIS sim will be striving for, even tho it will not reflect real time... lol

As far as computers being able to process the xtra work, maybe they could offer settings from simple to complex to accomidate such.

I know what I will do...

Max everything out, and if that dont work, just get into my hard earned cash and make it work somehow! Because u see, I am addicted to this sim big time! Game $39.99, AEP $29 or $39.99, PF, $39.99

Computer/Monitor/Controllers...
$5,875.00 Built to handle it into the future!