PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point to the single-player campaign?

Vladimir_Berkov
03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Hello, I am new to IL2 1946 having just bought it two weeks ago. I was hoping I would have some fun with some nice single player campaign action flying as a Russian. I am really just after the simple pleasures of winning medals, watching the war advance, new planes come online, etc. Just like it was in the orignal Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, etc.

I am finding the Russian fighter campaign absurdly difficult, however, and can't figure out why! It seems basically impossible to fly the I-16 type 18 against any enemy fighter, 109 or 110. The 109s always seem to have an altitude advantage, as do my I-16 AI wingmates. I usually end up flying around half-stalled trying to gain altitude following a dogfight around the map while hearing frantic radio messages. When I am lucky enough to get into some action, I am either getting blasted head-on by a 109 from 12 o'clock high or else watching a 109 zoom by and disappear like a rocket into the sky.

Pretty much the only kills I get are damaged enemies that I am lucky enough to finish off, or bombers which at least are usually slow enough to catch, although it is hard to down the bombers with 4 x 7.62 machineguns.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Should I just give up on my single-player campaign dream?

ffb
03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
It was probably pretty much like that at the start of the war for the russians http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Wepps
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Get in the hairballs, find a 109, get close and blow his wing off. You have the most powerful guns in the theatre according to Oleg. If you're more than 2km from the fight, just hit autopilot lol.

VW-IceFire
03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
This is the thing about simulating history...often you're not on the winning side of the arrangement. The I-16Type 16 was largely obsolescent at the beginning of the war and when faced with the superior technology and battle hardened pilots of the Luftwaffe the odds were severely against the Russians.

Best thing to do is either start a new campaign somewhere else in the war or stick it out. Remember your goal is survival. Shoot them down when you can...evade and run like made when you can't. Pump what bullets you can into enemy bombers but come home happy if you managed to damage two or three. Thats what the early war was like.

Better aircraft are definitely in the pipe but it may take a while.

EDIT: Wepps you'll note that he has the Type 16 which has 4 ShKAS machine guns. Not nearly as potent as the Type 24.

Sirrith
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem in the 1946 campaign on the russian side, Im stuck on this one mission where no matter what I do, no matter what evasive action I take, 1 shot from the enemy takes my whole right wing off. I even tried using autopilot in the dogfight and the same thing happened. After a few hours of trying, I just gave up on the mission and went back to the original IL2 campaigns.

SeaFireLIV
03-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Vladimir_Berkov:
Hello, I am new to IL2 1946 having just bought it two weeks ago. I was hoping I would have some fun with some nice single player campaign action flying as a Russian. I am really just after the simple pleasures of winning medals, watching the war advance, new planes come online, etc. Just like it was in the orignal Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, etc.

I am finding the Russian fighter campaign absurdly difficult, however, and can't figure out why! It seems basically impossible to fly the I-16 type 18 against any enemy fighter, 109 or 110. The 109s always seem to have an altitude advantage, as do my I-16 AI wingmates. I usually end up flying around half-stalled trying to gain altitude following a dogfight around the map while hearing frantic radio messages. When I am lucky enough to get into some action, I am either getting blasted head-on by a 109 from 12 o'clock high or else watching a 109 zoom by and disappear like a rocket into the sky.

Pretty much the only kills I get are damaged enemies that I am lucky enough to finish off, or bombers which at least are usually slow enough to catch, although it is hard to down the bombers with 4 x 7.62 machineguns.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Should I just give up on my single-player campaign dream?

Someone once made a similar complaint about pacific battles and how, playing as the allies at the start of the war it was very hard surviving. The reason is the same as why it`s hard to play as the russians at the beginning of the war...

The Axis (Germans, japanese) had the better aircraft and the advantage of a first attack. They were also more experienced/better prepared for war than the surprised Allies, ergo, playing allies at the start of WWII is always going to be hard.

It`s a Flight sim, meaning that the aircraft are realistic to their time in the war, which of course makes the campaign realistic too.

Read up on the war on the Russian front and you`ll see this is very much how it was. I actually enjoy this part of the campaign. I might get one or 2 kills, but most often I must runaway or call for backup, while running away, to fight another day.

By 1942-43 things will change as the Allies respond with better planes and pilots. It will get easier for you and harder for the enemy.

"But I want to be an Ace now! I don`t care about how it was in the real war!I want `fun`!" You cry.

Fine. Just bring down the difficulty settings to easy. Now you can run around and shoot everything down as russian in late July 1941 like the wannabe Ace.

BWaltteri
03-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I flew the Russian campaign too with I-16 and I probably had four kills: Me-110, 109F (already damaged), and two Stukas. There was no way to intercept He-111's that flew in 4000 meters - it took ages to reach the altitude and then I only received a leaden reception.

The Squadron Commander was however a good pilot - he probably shot down 15 planes with I-16. It was best to concentrate on keeping him alive.

But relax man, it will get easier once you get the Yak-1.

Mercanario
03-20-2008, 04:24 AM
if you want height fly to the combat area on the same heading as your AI wingmates but dont fly at their altitude, gain as much height as you can before meeting the enemy

Vladimir_Berkov
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will gut it out and hope for better aircraft in the future. It was just all the messages on the forum talking about how much the AI cheats that sort of depress me into thinking that the AI will always be higher and faster than I regardless of which planes we have.

I actually like the fact that the Russians are the underdogs early in the war and have generally inferior planes. That's why I chose the June 22nd 1941 campaign to start off with.

The I-16 does seem to be a handful though. If I don't pay attention the engine usually ends up conking out from pulling negative Gs at the worst and most random times, often when it is too late to restart it. Either that or the thing just stalls out unexpectedly or does into a spin during hard turns. It definately doesn't seem very forgiving, I feel like I am fighting the I-16 first and the Germans second.

mean_mango
03-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Survivability in the I-16 is actually quite good. Mainly because of the great visibility of an open canopy and the obsurdly large aelerons! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Nothing rolls faster then the I-16, so watch for the enemy behind you and when he's about to fire, turn into him sharply. They can chase you all day and never put a round in your plane.

You'll never match the attitude advantage of your opponent, so it's more important to KEEP YOUR SPEED UP! Otherwise you're dead in the water.

Shooting down an ME 109 or 110 however is an artform in perfect timing. Good luck!

SeaFireLIV
03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Vladimir_Berkov:
Thanks for the tips guys. I will gut it out and hope for better aircraft in the future. It was just all the messages on the forum talking about how much the AI cheats that sort of depress me into thinking that the AI will always be higher and faster than I regardless of which planes we have.

I actually like the fact that the Russians are the underdogs early in the war and have generally inferior planes. That's why I chose the June 22nd 1941 campaign to start off with.

The I-16 does seem to be a handful though. If I don't pay attention the engine usually ends up conking out from pulling negative Gs at the worst and most random times, often when it is too late to restart it. Either that or the thing just stalls out unexpectedly or does into a spin during hard turns. It definately doesn't seem very forgiving, I feel like I am fighting the I-16 first and the Germans second.

How I deal with AI 109s in the I16 on the Russian front...

Carefully. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I always start as the lowest rank so I tend to go where I`m lead... which isn`t always where I want to be.

1. I always stay at 2000m or lower. The I16 performs best at this altitude, especially for defensive turning.

2. On attack I do as much as possible to help my AI wingman, but always watch out for a rear attacker.

3. If attacked, the bank turn, with flaps momentarily on (flaps down - 1-2- flaps up) while turning will get any bogey on my 6 off me.

4. Scissoring helps too.

5. When he overshoots you must shoot immediately as once you`re behind him he will use his superior speed to just accelerate away. It` not easy and I still miss the odd chance today. But one hit is often enough to put him out of action. Always fire a 1-2 second spray.

6. If you get on the 6 of one, always watch for his wingman as they work togther. His wingman will fire at you even if he`s out of optimum range in an attempt to stop you if you fire on his friend.

7. Know when to bug out. Listen to the calls, watch the situation. If more of your side is fast dropping out until it looks like there`s a 2:1 ratio - Retreat. The AI is very god at ganaging up on fewer numbers and attacking from multiple directions at almost the same time.

8. Running home, dodge and weave all the time. Call `Tower request assistance` and hopefully tower will send backup. If No, try again a few seconds later.

You will do much running, but sometimes you`ll get your kill and it will get better. I just hope you remembered to select the aircraft you want for later years (on campaign start selection) or you could be using an I16 until 1944!

Vladimir_Berkov
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
What do you mean "aircraft you want for later years?" Won't it automatically provide new models as they become available?

I just checked on IL2 and it looks like I probably screwed up because I didn't realize you had an option to choose a fighter even for the Lvov 1941 campaign. I probably should have chosen the Yak-1 or LaGG...or at least the I-16 type 24...

Xiolablu3
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I have had IL2 for about 5 years and I still didnt know you could choose your future planes in teh campaigns.

How do you do that? I thought they automatically became available.

BTW, I would choose the Yak-1 out of the Yak1/Lagg/i16.

Try and get a Yak1b as soon as possible in 1942, thats the best RUssian 1942 plane by far and still good for 1943.

DKoor
03-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes planes become available automatically.
You can select them at the beginning of the campaign tho, which ones you prefer.... and so when you play
-after certain number of missions you are automatically moved on next theater of operations (it can as well be the same theater) and onto your new crate (it can as well be the same plane, depends what you have chosen at the beginning out of those available to you at that timeframe)
-after you've been wounded (WiA) you're automatically moved to the next subcampaign, same effect as you have finished that subcampaign normally (however that can be avoided if you hit "refly" buton)

SeaFireLIV
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I have had IL2 for about 5 years and I still didnt know you could choose your future planes in teh campaigns.

How do you do that? I thought they automatically became available.

BTW, I would choose the Yak-1 out of the Yak1/Lagg/i16.

Try and get a Yak1b as soon as possible in 1942, thats the best RUssian 1942 plane by far and still good for 1943.

I`m surprised you didn`t know about that, Xiolablu3.

@Vladimir_Berkov

Planes do change automatically, but you won`t necessarily get what you want. for ninstance, a couple of campaigns keep you with the I16 for at least 2 ongoing campaigns until around 42-43 (not 1944 as i thought, but it is available in 1944).

So if you want to avoid flying the same aircraft for what might seem forever, make your own selection. It`s simple. After start, you get a view of the campaigns for say a Fighter career. Just click on each aircraft shown as default for each campaign and change to the alternatives shown.

The I16 type 24 has the one of the best guns (cannons) of the early war years. It improves your kill ratio over the type 18 as long as you hit.

p.s. thinking about it you may not know this little tip either.

If you don`t like restarting every same mission because you didn`t complete it, even if you wern`t killed or captured then, BEFORE you start a new campaign change just ONE difficulty in the difficulty/realism settings:

`NO Instant mission success`

Change this to OFF.

With this difficulty OFF you will not need to restart if you make it back alive or are not captured. If you are captured or killed, you`ll still need to restart so it`s not a cheat.

I don`t know why this is part of the full realism settings because it`s NOT realistic, however, it does make the game unrealistically difficult.

Just in case you and any others don`t know this.

Divine-Wind
03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, never knew you could plan out your piloting resumé. The next time I get bored enough to try a dynamic campaign I'll have to experiment with this feature.

And yeah, ever since I learned what 'No Instant Success' actually did, I've left it off for every dynamic campaign. With scripted ones it makes a bit more sense, which I'll bet is why Oleg put it in. The name is a bit confuzzling, though.

DKoor
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
No instant success is perhaps the most controversial setting of them all. It actually forces player to met the criteria in a manner that he cannot resume his career if he fails to successfully end the mission (achieve mission goal).
My personal opinion is that you are punished enough by not being to claim "points" i.e. not able to gain benefit in the shape of promotions or medals. And there is also a feeling of defeat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Quite redundant setting if you want.

sgt.dumpster
03-21-2008, 12:57 PM
"ffb"..sadly does give and hold the historical truth to the early everyday nightmare to the average vvs shocked and freaked out pilot had to deal with,....bf109's owned the sky -LONGER -than ANY airplane during the almost 5+ war--astrogoth

mortoma
03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
All posters have good points so far. But it is possible to do fairly well in a type 18, but not as good as a type 24. It's a little slow for sure. The type 24 is noticably faster, has cannons and it's still difficult to fight in when against 109Fs or even Emils.

If I flew a sub-campaign in a type 18, I'd probably end up with 10 to 15 kills but I'm a hugely experienced sim pilot that is super familiar with this particular sim and is knowledgable in fighting the AI. If you know the weaknesses of the AI, which are legion, you can do ok or even well even in a type 18.

SeaFireLIV
03-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:

but I'm a hugely experienced sim pilot that is super familiar with this particular sim and is knowledgable in fighting the AI..

Modesty isn`t your strong point, is it?

You speak as though you are more knowledgeable than all the rest of us. Why?

FI-Skipper
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
mortoma FTW!!!