PDA

View Full Version : Better monitor placement

Lurch1962
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
You've probably gotten the impression that I like immersively wide view while simming. To this end, I've experimented, first with a cheap fresnel lens, and more lately with better quality (bit still cheap) reading glasses.

But until now I've had to do a little uncomfortable leaning in toward my monitor. That's all changed, now...

I've just slapped together a monitor stand out of some 12" wide pine shelving. I did this to be able to look squarely into the screen from my usual seated position, and place it so that it's within about 1 foot of my face (while wearing +3.5 diopter reading glasses so that it's in comfortable focus from this close range.)

The monitor sits on a small platform, supported by a pair of vertical pieces of the same wood standing 11" tall. This height was chosen so as to just clear the top of my CH Fighterstick, which is placed just to the right of the stand, and the Throttle is placed to the left. In between the vertical boards is where I keep the mouse.

So where does the keyboard go, you ask? Indeed, with the stand practically at the edge of my desk I had to find another spot for it. I added some 1X2 pine vertical posts immediately to the right and left of the monitor (attached to the shelf with metal angle brackets), and made them tall enough so that the keyboard could be held in place with a couple of small "clips", immediately above the screen. With this arrangement, it's like reaching overhead in a civilian airliner to toggle switches, etc.

I sure do like this new arrangement! Now I can get the BIG view while comfortably seated, and the keyboard is quite accessible when I need it (the vast majority of the controls I use are mapped to my CH HOTAS system.)

If I could show pics, I would. But alas, I'll have to engage your imaginations on this.

--Lurch--

heywooood
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
jeez bro - I dunno for sure but it sounds to me like you are just begging for vision problems if you don't already have 'em...

If your view is so important and you are willing to go to these extremes - just buy a biig fargin monitor of excellent quality and be done with the fresnel reading goggles at 12" molefactor range....seriously.

Lurch1962
05-16-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm always surprised at the alarm engendered in many people when I mention the use of strong reading glasses for use with a monitor close-up. This is no different than using, say, a binocular microscope all day long in the manufacture of small electro-optical components, as is done by thousands of worker bees in high tech firms all over the world.

The reason for the auxiliary optics is to allow comfortable relaxation of the eyes. With the glasses on, my eyes are not being strained in the slightest. The goggles do the work of close focusing for me, and I perceive an image that's farther away (and a bit larger) than would otherwise be the case.

How far from your eyes do you hold a novel when reading? For most people, about 18" is typical. If you're older and have suffered a loss of accommodation in your hardening lenses, without your reading glasses you'll probably have to extend that distance out to near arm's length. With the glasses you make up for the loss of close focus ability, and can bring the book back in closer.

Well, in effect that's exactly what I'm doing--I'm placing the monitor at just the right distance suitable for the +3.5 diopter lenses. I appreciate the concern, but trust me; it's misplaced.

Cheers!

--Lurch--

T_O_A_D
05-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Lurch do you use Track IR?

I tried the reading glasses myself about 3 years ago.

They made me sick, nearly puked.

I tried it, with FPS aswell, I could only handle it for about 30 minutes, before feeing sick.

Matter of fact the wife just recently found them all covered with dust, and quickly pointed out just how much I must of actually needed them. LOL

Peptalk2007
05-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Captivating stuff. I would love to see this. Please try to add a picture with goggles in action.

mrsiCkstar
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
seriously, you're just begging for splitting headaches etc... I would just save up and get a projector. for a screen you could use a decent quality bed sheet on a large wooden frame... doesn't cost much and you can have as big a screen as you want.

Lurch1962
05-16-2007, 04:15 PM
T_O_A_D, and mrsiCKstar,

No TrackIR here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I've been using for a good part of a year the 7"X10" flexible Fresnel lens, which placed my eyes about a foot from the screen, and now for the past three months I've been using the reading glasses. At times my sessions have gone on for 4-6 hours, with no problems of any kind. In the early days I'd get a brief twinge of a queasy feeling, but only because the huge apparent field of view delivered the "IMAX effect", which when maneuvering low over cities (and other detailed settings) induced some inner ear conflicts vs. what the eyes were taking in.

Let me assure you that I'd not do this if it caused any discomfort at all, or if it caused me to worry over long-term effects.

==============

Peptalk,

No pics coming soon, I fear. But I trust my "word painting" wasn't too convoluted. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

--Lurch--