PDA

View Full Version : Tips needed on no engine landings

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Im playing the origianl IL-2 and have found it really hard to land a Sturmovik with no power. Should I not raise the flaps until Im practically touching the ground?

Chuck_Older
05-15-2005, 03:09 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

What's your clean stall speed in that thing?

My advice is to get real good with powered landings in the plane, and then you'll have a pretty good feel for a dead stick landing. Smooth is sometimes more important than slow

haven't played the original Il-2 in a long time, so more detailed advice, i can't give

FoolTrottel
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Landing w/o power?

That's tricky ... That is hard ...

Why would you raise flaps on or 'round touchdown?

Leave 'm down while in the air, going slow you'll need the extra lift they give ya...

You might want to raise 'm once you've touched down, and are running along steadily whith wheels on the ground.

I just tried it, (in an Original IL2-3M) and, well, it's all in the approach.... yeah, that's no suprise.

Use them flaps to 'correct' the speed.... leave 'm the way you got them when touching down.
(As in, fast approach, lot's a flaps to slow down. Slow approach? Less flaps... you'll need all the speed you got left...)

Oh, and surely follow Chuck_Older's advice... practice, with power first, then without!

Have Fun!

Atomic_Marten
05-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

What's your clean stall speed in that thing?

My advice is to get real good with powered landings in the plane, and then you'll have a pretty good feel for a dead stick landing. Smooth is sometimes more important than slow

haven't played the original Il-2 in a long time, so more detailed advice, i can't give

Basically what he said.

I have little experience in landing powerless Sturmovik in game, but I have lot of experience of landing other aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

No.1 like Chuck said, landing's got to be smooth -- that means no diving, no climbing etc. just let the aircraft slowly drop in alt on final approach (critical alts). You must be patient.(just before touchdown, you can make a little nose-up just in case).
Watch your speed. You can't be on high speed -- if you wish your crash landing to succeed. Drop below 200kph on touchdown - more the better. Just watch to avoid the stall.

Also, if there is any chance, land on road. It helps a lot. If road is nowhere to be seen, you *must* search for flat terrain or water (I have always succeed in water crash landings) -- if you try to crash land on elevated terrain you will most likely crash.

FI_Willie
05-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Good advice from Chuck.

Remember that when you get low and slow, you get into the region of reversed controls. As you have no power, the ONLY way to gain speed is to lose alt. ( dive ) SO, to try to gain speed which translates into altitude, you have to get the nose DOWN. Gets kind of tricky when you run out of altitude to dive down from. I rarely use flaps on an engine out landing unless, I'm coming in really fast and need to kill some speed.

Unfortunately, "ground effect" doesn't seem to be modeled into these games, so you just have to learn by doing. IRL "ground effect" allows a plane to glide for quite a ways on a cushion of air that build under the wings when you are within a wingspan of the ground. Comes in handy in the real world when faced with an engine out touchdown.

blazer-glory
05-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LStarosta
05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Whatever happens, don't stall!

It's better to do a wheels up fast approach than a slow approach where you end up stalling 10 feet above the ground and then unrealistically blowing up into pieces.

FI_Willie
05-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Just fired up IL-2 and grabbed a mid war Sturmo. Empty loadout, Smolensk map with airbase as a target, ( seems to put you closer to your concrete runway that way) 1000mtr alt.

Dropped and turned back toward field. Over the river I killed the motor. Kept speed around 250 all the way up to a bit short of the runway, dropped the gear, and planted it with no flaps.
Braked to a stop.

Started her up, took off and flew back around to 600 alt. Speed around 240 and turning toward base, cut the engine. Worked it back over the concrete using combat flap settings, then TAKE OFF. Dropped the flaps to LANDING right after lowering the gear, ran out of elevator. Stalled it and wiped out the gear and the prop. LMAO Could have walked away from it though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If ya want the track file let me know.

T_O_A_D
05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
If you will take the time to take off with out flaps and with out or with very little elevator. Jot down that speed, The plane will take off on its own, with it own lift abilities. Then try to approach at that speed +20 kph and you will be successful nearly every time. You will have enough spead to drop flaps at last moment if needed or even flair a bit for a 3 poiint landing. Once you aquire the nack of it. You will be able to land with flaps and -20kph for a softer 3 point landing. Don't stick to 20kph as the gospel either all aircraft have slightly different attitudes on aproach.

SeaFireLIV
05-16-2005, 06:00 PM
All the above advice is good, but don`t forget above all...

KEEP CALM

blazer-glory
05-17-2005, 02:27 PM
I would like to see that track if you could send it Willie please. Email it to bboy_joe@fastmail.fm

Thanks! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

flatlander5
05-17-2005, 05:00 PM
My advice:
1) land in a river or lake. You are much less likely to blow up.

2) if you are landing on rough ground (ie not an airstrip) dont drop your wheels. Do a belly landing. You are much less likely to blow up.

3) unlike the advice above, I dont use the flaps, in my opinion they slow the plane too much and with no engine there is no way to increase speed.

4) know the stall speed of your plane and stay above it!

good luck
~Flatlander

FI_Willie
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
blazer-glory,

File is on it's way. it will have an @squadtfw.com address when it gets there.

Enjoy.

han freak solo
05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Speaking of flaps here.....

After an engine out occurs, are flaps IRL able to retract or extend? Is there a hydraulic or pneumatic accumulator providing the pressure/flow to get the flaps to still work? Or, do they work electrically from the battery at this point?

Is this modelled in the game incorrectly?

Fennec_P
05-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Depends on plane. Some are electric, some hydraulic, some hand operated.

But I imagine there would be a manual way over lowering the flaps in the case of hyrdaulic failure. In some planes, you pump a lever to lower them.

JoachimvMayern
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
In the quick mission gererator, ( Crimea ) I landed a bf109g2 with a shot out powerless engine from where the German ships were off the coast, near the Russian ships. I had a 3500 meter height advantage, and was able to glide in and land.

mynameisroland
05-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Ive landed an Fw with no elevators but it is very risky and now I preffer to bail. Likewise if you are in an Fw and you have no engine left bellyland with no flaps and retracted undercarriage otherwise you run a high risk of exploding its simply too heavy for its little wings without the lift provided by its engine.

blazer-glory
05-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks Willie. Recieved. Watched. Admired and repeated, by me. Well almost. Did'nt reach the runway but hey,I walked away from the plane! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif