PDA

View Full Version : Online "Cheating has been detected"- What exactly?

drizz01
11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
As a new player, I have just played in a few online games and at various time "Cheating has been detected" appears at the top of the screen.

What exactly is happening? Does this mean that there is a "hacked" aircraft, or some similar cheating? I have noticed that in one such game I was right behind someone and fired into him at point blank, with no effect.

Thanks for your help.

drizz01
11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
As a new player, I have just played in a few online games and at various time "Cheating has been detected" appears at the top of the screen.

What exactly is happening? Does this mean that there is a "hacked" aircraft, or some similar cheating? I have noticed that in one such game I was right behind someone and fired into him at point blank, with no effect.

Thanks for your help.

blairgowrie
11-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Usually means a slow ping. I get it all the time with my "steam" dial-up.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
It is a very badly worded error message that has become almost a legend on these boards

when you see this message simply re-interprit as A ccrappy conection has been detected.

It means some one is lagging out it does not mean that some one is cheating

Tully__
11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Some user has a poor connection, that message is very poorly worded. It simply means someone has an unstable connection or is losing network packets.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Arrgh HE got me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Dang BlairGowrie your quick off the draw today mate hehe

looks like he nailed you too Tully

VW-IceFire
11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I presume its a bad Russian translation. Means Lag detected...you can even change what it says but I forget what it was.

Mine says: <player> is lagging!

Works better...

Willey
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
It's in the i18n folder. Open the netmessages(/_de/fr).properties in notepad. Quite at the top you'll see the cheat messages, like this:

user_cheating1 Cheating has been detected! - {0}
user_cheating2 Cheating has been detected! - {0}
user_cheating3 Cheating has been detected! - {0}

I just added " - {0}" behind each line and then it tells me who's got a bad connection. You can also change the whole message, but IMHO "cheating" has established as a funny term for bad conn in FB already, so I kept it. So you could alternatively have it like this:

user_cheating1 {0} is LaGGin'.
user_cheating2 {0}'s got some packet loss.
user_cheating3 {0} is warping around.

BBloke
11-11-2004, 05:50 AM
IMHO its not just related to high/slow pings.

If you make the changes as per Willey, with for a message to show next time you are online. Press and hold S and see what the users ping is like!!

Tully__
11-11-2004, 10:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBloke:
IMHO its not just related to high/slow pings.

If you make the changes as per Willey, with for a message to show next time you are online. Press and hold S and see what the users ping is like!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not related to high ping, it's related to unstable ping (rapidly changing or spiking to high then dropping again) or lost packets. You can actually get quite good performance with ping as high as 600 in missions without not too many objects provided that the ping is steady and the "cheat detection" works with this taken into account.