PDA

View Full Version : UBI and the six-month plan

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 06:52 AM
I have become convinced that UBI really doesn't make bad games or have bad service SO LONG as you don't buy any of their products until they have been out for at least six months. By the time I bought the first Sturmovik game it was $20 and all of the patches had already been released. Granted, it took longer than six months to get all of those patches but I think a good rule of thumb is to wait at least that long so that the beta test version they release as a new product can actually be converted into a finished product with the first patch. I am not saying this to whine or even stir up trouble. I really believe this is the truth and that if you follow the six-month plan you will be much more happy with their products. I will probably get Lock On at some point in the future but I guarantee it will not be before six months has passed from the release date.

Now for all of those who are thinking this is some kind of patch whine and are going to write tired old lines like "it will be released when it is released" please don't bother. I agree that there is no point getting a patch until it is fully tested and actually fixes the lion's share of the bugs in the game. I have simply extended this philosophy to the game as well. Just give them some time to work out the kinks of their new releases and then you will get the tested and mostly finished version which will be much more enjoyable. You may even get it at a drastically reduced price as well if you just wait awhile.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 06:52 AM
I have become convinced that UBI really doesn't make bad games or have bad service SO LONG as you don't buy any of their products until they have been out for at least six months. By the time I bought the first Sturmovik game it was $20 and all of the patches had already been released. Granted, it took longer than six months to get all of those patches but I think a good rule of thumb is to wait at least that long so that the beta test version they release as a new product can actually be converted into a finished product with the first patch. I am not saying this to whine or even stir up trouble. I really believe this is the truth and that if you follow the six-month plan you will be much more happy with their products. I will probably get Lock On at some point in the future but I guarantee it will not be before six months has passed from the release date.

Now for all of those who are thinking this is some kind of patch whine and are going to write tired old lines like "it will be released when it is released" please don't bother. I agree that there is no point getting a patch until it is fully tested and actually fixes the lion's share of the bugs in the game. I have simply extended this philosophy to the game as well. Just give them some time to work out the kinks of their new releases and then you will get the tested and mostly finished version which will be much more enjoyable. You may even get it at a drastically reduced price as well if you just wait awhile.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Best Buy has reduced their price to $29 for FB at several of the stores I have been at in the Minneapolis area.
Some still have a $39 price tag. Maybe they are letting old stock just sell out at original price or something.
One store had a new shelf tag with the price on it, so it is not a mistake.

jba

The difficulty of making something fool proof is that fools are so da** creative. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 07:41 AM
Bucinda wrote:

You couldn't have said it better!

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Exactly my point. A person buying FB in a month from now could conceivably pick it up for $29 and they could download the patch the day they buy it (well maybe). They would probably even be getting free add-on planes that day as well. Another good reason for waiting is that they will be able to find someone with the same system on the tech forum and just tweak their settings in a few minutes whereas it took hours of experimenting for the first people to do it. One final good reason to wait is that you will get a real opinion on the game after actual customers have messed with it for a few months and then you will be able to make an informed purchase. I personally don't trust the compensated reviewers that do a write up on a game before it is released to the general public.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Yes,go ahead and wait 6 months Bucinda.. very smart.

But the game you`ll have in your hands will only be a fraction of the fun to the locked threads,the bickering,fighting,begging,wanting for the next patch.Guessing when it will be released and anticipating to see what Oleg has up his sleeves next.

You see,patch-day is like Christmas to us.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:22 AM
But can you really wait for six months to get the sim on your hard drive? Personally, the way I see it, the best soluttion is -
1)buy the sim the day it comes out.
2)play the buggy 'beta' version for six months. In the process, learn to tweak your computer for the best results. Don't whine about patches in the meantime, you bought a 'beta' version.
3)update the game with patches and add-ons as they're released.

As I see it, going your way means that I don't get to fly for 6months, this way I get to go up the day the sim comes out, albeit with a somewhat poorer experience.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you right. I used to know your daddy."

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:41 AM
You have it all wrong though. I could have blissfully played the first Sturmovik and waited this long for FB. My mistake was that I bought it shortly after Sturmovik because I was ignorant of the UBI modus operandi. Now I will be playing FB after doing things the hard way until Lock On has been out for 6 months at least. Its kind of like not going to the movies and just waiting for things to come out on DVD. Eventually you get to the point where you are a behind the theatre-goers but you are still getting new releases at the video store each month. After Lock On has been out for 6 months some other game will be out and then I can wait six months for it. I won't miss anything because I will be playing the completed version of games that came out 6 months earlier. It really is a sane plane and a great way to adjust your buying habits to better reflect UBI's method of doing business.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:45 AM
I will wait six months for lock on but not for the paid IL2FB add-on. I will buy it the day it comes out here as I did for Forgotten Battles. I agree lots of grief is gone in the six month period but if you love a particular front or era of aviation you can't wait.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 09:05 AM
I plan on buying any add-ons as well the day they come out because they should only add to the overall game and I don't consider that to be the same as a new game release. Trust me I understand the desire to buy a new title (especially a WWII flight sim) the day it comes out, which is why I got FB right away even though I had not spent much time on Sturmovik. Looking back in retrospect, however, I could have enjoyed Sturmovik this entire period and then just picked up FB right when it was really starting to shine as a game.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Continuing your anology with movies, while I'd wait for my Univ to play Daredevil in it's hall(Yes, it does do that!), I went and say Pirates of the Carribean in the hall. It all boils down to how good the product it, and how much you've been anticipating it. As a case in point, I didn't buy REturn to Castle Wolfenstein until the GOTY edition came out.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you right. I used to know your daddy."

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey Bucinda- I basically did what you suggest (just got FB two weeks ago)...

And while you have a good point, I think those who pointed out 1- you miss out on the bickering, arguing and patch anticipation (FUN, FUN, FUN) and 2- you don't get to fly the new planes (He-111 is a whole different experience from any plane in IL2, for example); have a better point /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I wish I'd bought FB earlier- oh well /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:37 PM
So taking your thinking to its logical conclusion you dont suggest anyone buy the game until its six months old-

Question- How many IL2 games do you think would get produced if most of use who enjoy sims follow your example.

Who is using the family brain cell today. Captain pond life.

Skinns

http://www.x-plane.org/users/skinns/Banners/New%209%20squadron.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:38 PM
I think its a pretty cheap and poor tactic to only support the developers when you feel that they have put out a completed version which is such a tremendous insult to somebody who is willing to help you and to give you even more free stuff. I don't think that there's any unpatched game with fewer bugs as FB has now in an "uncompleted beta stage." Urspine has the right idea. I was so excited the day that FB came out that I rushed to my local store, loaded it on my computer and it actually worked even better than the original IL-2 without having to serious tweak my computer. FB is fantastic with a minimal amount of bugs for a game of such magnitude. If you're going to be creating the entire Eastern front with over a hundred planes, maps, missions and a great netcode, you're bound to run into some problems. So just appreciate the gift that the Flight sim gods have bestowed upon us which is the most realistic, challenging and rewarding flight sim made to date hands down.

---------------------------------------
http://www.world-data-systems.com/aerofiles/albums/userpics/109K.jpg

I STILL love my 109!

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:43 PM
You've missed out. I bought FB the day the stores here had it, and would have paid double for the fun that I have had with it . . . AS IT IS! The patch is only going to make most things better, probably at the cost of some other things getting crappier. So, you see, I will have an entirely new game, after having the original for the first few months. You are getting the patch and the game at the same time. See? I get two games, you only get one. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

http://www.cherokee.org/Culture/images/proctorZeke.jpg
"My ancestors didn't come over in the Mayflower--they met the boat."

http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612345111

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:47 PM
I've been buying and playing old games for years! FB is one of the few games I have bought realtively new.
Not only does it keep game purchase costs down, it keeps hardware costs down. When playing old games, one has no reason to upgrade as often, and when he does, prices have gone down on hardware as well.

Sabla wrote:
- in the Minneapolis area.

A fellow Minnesotan, I presume?
I love your sig, by the way.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 03:48 PM
skinns wrote:
- So taking your thinking to its logical conclusion
- you dont suggest anyone buy the game until its six
- months old-
-
- Question- How many IL2 games do you think would get
- produced if most of use who enjoy sims follow your
- example.
-
-
- Who is using the family brain cell today. Captain
- pond life.
-
- Skinns
-

^
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ...... not to mention that someone has to help flesh out all the bugs and my god this game only has a small amount of bugs of which really none effect game play.
skinns wrote:

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 05:22 PM
First of all there will always be plenty of people to buy the game when it first comes out so I am not worried about that. Second of all, for those who have become self-appointed corporate sycophants I wonder if your parents ever taught you how to be discerning consumers or if you were raised in East Germany and really think that the Trabant was a damn fine automobile.

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Releasing a beta as your first release is part of software development, and it has been for a long time. Take my word on this, I work in software development for a very large company that thinks like this: from a business perspective... You can either A) spend millions of dollars beta testing and bug fixing your product to release it with almost no bugs 6 months from now, or B) release it with as few bugs as possible a lot earlier, start taking in cash NOW to recoup cost and let thousands of your customers bug test it for you, which you KNOW from your last 50 releases is the absolute best way to weed out obscure bugs on the multitudes of various hardware/software configuration combinations that exist amongst your user base. Not a very tough decision, is it?. ALL software companies do this. They always will. It's a no brainer.

I agree with Bucinda saying it makes sense to wait, if you can. I wouldn't suggest everyone do this, of course not! Someone needs to beta test it! And besides, the game is probably still fun with just a few bugs so long as they're not showstoppers. But, I would rather let YOU all do this, and I'll snap it up for $27 in a few weeks. And like Bucinda, I've been having so much damn fun with IL-2, which I just got a few months back, that I don't feel I've missed anything, at least not anything that won't still be there in a few weeks.

Some people don't want to or can't wait and that's cool too. I understand this completely. I know for a fact I will be picking up Doom3 the very second it hits the shelves, bug ridden and all. I will be a beta tester for Doom3, and I'm ok with that. But only because I wore out Doom 1 & 2 ten years ago and don't have anything to tide me over in that series... unlike IL-2 >8)

<div align="center">
http://www.watchhilldesign.com/posted/P39Blind.jpg
</div>

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:03 PM
There are many things that just don't matter if you wait for them or not. Movies for one are definately something I do not rush out to spend $10 on in a theater. IL2/FB is an entirely different story. Your point is well taken though.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/jjffjj/images/0-picture.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:10 PM
lazio5 wrote:
- Yes,go ahead and wait 6 months Bucinda.. very smart.
-
- But the game you`ll have in your hands will only be
- a fraction of the fun to the locked threads,the
- bickering,fighting,begging,wanting for the next
- patch.Guessing when it will be released and
- anticipating to see what Oleg has up his sleeves
- next.
-
- You see,patch-day is like Christmas to us.
-
-
-
-

Van Elvis Wrote: You are right about that. Half the fun is the forum and the waiting, its frustraiting but when the patch does get here it will be like Christmas.

http://www.hardrockhotel.com/rock/memorabilia/elvis.jpg

Thankya Thankya very much
Van Elvis

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 08:32 PM
And let me just say thank-you in advance to all Lock On beta testers. The thing with the movie analogy is that I hate going to theatres so there is a real incentive for me to wait and watch it at home. The only movie I had to see in over a year was Two Towers. It just comes down to how important havig a product "now" is to you. I know without a doubt that I will be able to wait 6 months to get Lock On and since I really believe that you get the most enjoyment out of a UBI game if you wait for the first patch and even a price drop it will be a good plan for me.