PDA

View Full Version : FB taking up to 1.20gb of RAM??? while in play

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
I had my windows task manager open while playing FB last night and I put it on my second screen so I can see it while I play. When playing the single mission US with the P47 the game takes up to 850 MB of my ram. I have a total of 1 gig in my machine. Not only that I also tried the single player USSR L5 I think it is.... and that one to up to 1.20gb of my ram. Is it me or is this game a system pig. I know that when I play Battlefield 1942 it take up to 550 mb but this is insane.

Is this normal?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
I had my windows task manager open while playing FB last night and I put it on my second screen so I can see it while I play. When playing the single mission US with the P47 the game takes up to 850 MB of my ram. I have a total of 1 gig in my machine. Not only that I also tried the single player USSR L5 I think it is.... and that one to up to 1.20gb of my ram. Is it me or is this game a system pig. I know that when I play Battlefield 1942 it take up to 550 mb but this is insane.

Is this normal?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Fortunately, I have 1 gig of ram as well.

If you are speaking truth, how does people with less memory play the game?

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
People with less RAM get disc swapping, i.e. virtual memory (harddrive simulates RAM).

To my knowledge FB uses this much RAM. The Finlandia Gulf map eats somewhere around 400 MB of ram alone.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:50 PM
That's right if you run out of ram there is a certain amount of Hard drive space that is allocated for the ram in case it gets filled up. So there is no problem playing games. And I wont lie on a board I am here to learn and find out truth. I never said I can't play the game just that I have a gig of ram and it gets filled up while playing FB and was just wondering if this was the case for everyone else.

Again can anyone else vouch for this.

Thanks Vengeanze for an intelligent and researched answer.

Message Edited on 07/09/0307:53AM by StrypheR1

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Pleasure.

If I ever have a smiliey Q I'll ask u. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Sounds good Boss

Zayets
07-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Everybody knows that windows programs ate more than they should ate. Is also windows fault but also FB programmers "fault". I believe that realease date , eye-candy and all that stuffs primed over system resource management. On the box it says 512mB recommended , FB is happy with 2 gig of RAM and I believe this won't be high enough.I think the patch will correct such features.Minimum config as written on the box will probably allow you to run with everything at min by having 12 fps , while recommended will be way better by running somehow medium-high setings but not excellent. And if you ask me , then yes , FB is indeed a system pig. that is for now , maybe the patch will correct that.
Zayets out

http://www.emicad.nl/~justdoit/il2/logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 02:16 PM
I've only got 512 MB RAM, so my hard drive is spinning like a whirling dirvish constantly while FB is running. What annoys me is that it continues to eat up RAM even if you switch to the desktop to open something else, so in most cases there's no point in even trying to do anything else while it's running.
On the other hand, totally OT but cool regardless, I've discovered that if I'm in QMB doing loadout on a plane, I can have Adobe Photoshop open and be working on a skin, and when I switch back to FB if I select a different skin and then back to the one I just updated/saved, it will display the new file.
As long as the game isn't in a mission, the memory thing isn't an issue at all.
(*sighs* Teach me to try and post something at 7 in the morning)

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 02:33 PM
"Everybody knows that windows programs ate more than they should"

Depends on the talent of the developer.

To say that all windows programs eat more memory is not a correct statement.

Additionally, people pay a price for a user-friendly GUI that is user friendly - and for non technical people, that still isn't enough and they complain for more 'user-friendly' which = more memory and resources http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's a double edge sword - but memory is cheap developers seem to not care as much to use more nowdays!

S!
609IAP_Recon

Forgotten Wars Virtual War
Forum: http://fogwar.luftwaffe.net/forums/index.php
Visit 609IAP at http://takeoff.to/609IAP

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg

Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem

Zayets
07-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Recon_609IAP wrote:
- "Everybody knows that windows programs ate more than
- they should"
-
- Depends on the talent of the developer.
-
- To say that all windows programs eat more memory is
- not a correct statement.
-
- Additionally, people pay a price for a user-friendly
- GUI that is user friendly - and for non technical
- people, that still isn't enough and they complain
- for more 'user-friendly' which = more memory and
- resources /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-
- It's a double edge sword - but memory is cheap
- developers seem to not care as much to use more
- nowdays!
-
- S!
- 609IAP_Recon
-
- Forgotten Wars Virtual War

Oh , but yes , they do ate. Yourself pointed out to one big eater which is the GUI. Wouldn't be much better if we can exit in the old DOS mode and launch it from in there IL2? without all this bagage of GUI and windows system? I think , speaking OS-ish this will be way better. Personally i liked the switch to the dOS in the old time , every unwanted darn process managing windows system was killed leaving you a clean config. To say the least , i think the programmers have little to do , all they can do is to limit the size of memory taken , but then I ask myself , is only them to think at that?
Somebody said long time ago that as long as Microsoft dictates that NT's (you can include XP here as well) developers must continue to accent existing features, then the emphasis remains on her make up and not on her muscle tone. So long as Microsoft dictates that NT's developers add new features then she will continue to gain weight.
and believe it or not , since that day the things evolved the way this guy predicted.Is sad , but is 100% the truth. by that time NT had about 30 millions lines of source code. Nowaday XP has 3 times more , and most of the new features are only eye-candy.
Zayets out
And yes , I'm a linux guy , only reason I have another comp ( far more performant) with Windows on it is because FB , Falcon4 and few other games. I don't like game consoles , that's why I have paid 1200 euros last year for one of top notch configs. today looks like I have to buy a new one.Sad...

http://www.emicad.nl/~justdoit/il2/logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
There are a few things that you can do to save on your system.

1. Go into your network and uncheck everything except TCP. The Microsoft family, and client, as well as the QOS can all be turned off without effecting your internet. These settinga are for networks. Shutting them down will lighten the load on your machine.

2. Next go to Black viper.com and tweak out your XP from all the running process's that take up memeory. There are several ways to configure it for networks, gamers, etc etc.

In short with XP you have about 20 to 30 things you can turn off to help your machine run faster.

3. Then you can go to PC Pitstop.com and fine tune your comp it self, from internet connections, to system checks etc etc. I did the first one internet download test and got a rating of 1072 which is about 600 less then i should be getting with a cable modem. After the test i now have 1691 which is right in the middle. May not seem like much to you but it did increase my frames by 25 and that does matter.

These sites and tests are free, just costs your time to go there and do them.

May you not become a dirt torpedo.

PlatinumDragon...

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
PlatinumDragon wrote:
- There are a few things that you can do to save on
- your system.
-
- 1. Go into your network and uncheck everything
- except TCP. The Microsoft family, and client, as
- well as the QOS can all be turned off without
- effecting your internet. These settinga are for
- networks. Shutting them down will lighten the load
- on your machine.
-
- 2. Next go to Black viper.com and tweak out your XP
- from all the running process's that take up memeory.
- There are several ways to configure it for networks,
- gamers, etc etc.
-
- In short with XP you have about 20 to 30 things you
- can turn off to help your machine run faster.
-
- 3. Then you can go to PC Pitstop.com and fine tune
- your comp it self, from internet connections, to
- system checks etc etc. I did the first one internet
- download test and got a rating of 1072 which is
- about 600 less then i should be getting with a cable
- modem. After the test i now have 1691 which is right
- in the middle. May not seem like much to you but it
- did increase my frames by 25 and that does matter.
-
- These sites and tests are free, just costs your time
- to go there and do them.
-
- May you not become a dirt torpedo.
-
- PlatinumDragon...

Interesting- I will give that a shot and I am also thinking of adding another gig in my machine.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 07:02 PM
FWIW I went through BlackViper's site a while back and made a "Gaming" profile - it did absolutely nothing to my frame rates. In fact, it ran 5-10 frames slower. I even started over and did it another time, with the same results.

Not quite sure why - I expected some huge changes - but didn't get any.

I'll have to try Pitstop - always looking for some new tweaks. Thanks for the headsup.

<center> http://www.autumnhullphoto.com/fbsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 07:09 PM
I had noticed that when I tried to check my mail without quiting FB. With 1 GB of ram, it still takes forever to open Outlook Express.

I guess 90% of average players don't have more than 512, and must be slowed down while running FB. But well, considering the quality of the graphics, it's probably normal.

XyZspineZyX
07-09-2003, 07:40 PM
If I were to run my ram's FSB to 233 MHZ (I have DDR400) which is the same as my CPU's FSB do you think it would make a difference?