PDA

View Full Version : Image 'backup' of game directory

NorrisMcWhirter
11-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I want to burn my entire FB+AEP+PF+skins+missions+everything directory structure off to a DVD-RW so that when I apply patches (etc) I have a backup easily at hand that isn't hogging tons of hard disk space.

Is it possible? The bottom line, I suppose, is whether the games use the registry or copy files to the Windows dir.

Anyone had any success with this?

Cheers,
Norris

NorrisMcWhirter
11-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I want to burn my entire FB+AEP+PF+skins+missions+everything directory structure off to a DVD-RW so that when I apply patches (etc) I have a backup easily at hand that isn't hogging tons of hard disk space.

Is it possible? The bottom line, I suppose, is whether the games use the registry or copy files to the Windows dir.

Anyone had any success with this?

Cheers,
Norris

Weather_Man
11-30-2004, 01:24 PM
I don't think it would be possible without the reg entries. Possibly some other windows files as well.

Best to just backup all the addon stuff and missions, etc., and reinstall.

steve_v
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorrisMcWhirter:
Is it possible? The bottom line, I suppose, is whether the games use the registry or copy files to the Windows dir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I keep a backup copy on my old computer, which can be easily accessed. Its the same as copying an FB/AEP install to another location (on your hard drive) so you have the option of both FB/AEP and FB/AEP/PF. The one fact you must remember is the initial install location. This is entered in the register and will be used in the future. Remember when AEP was released and it would not run because some had moved the initial install? Same idea. The copy must be put back in the original install location.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi,

That answers my question nicely. I would have recreated the dir structure (inc. names) as it was previously so that should work ok.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Norris