PDA

View Full Version : Campaign immersion: a modest proposal

Skycat_2
12-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I had this idea tonight that might be interesting in future sim development ...

I was reading the March 2005 issue of Aviation History magazine and came across this passage in the article Italian Trimotor Torpedo Bomber Pilot (An interview with WWII pilot Dalmazio Corradini) on page 49:

Corradini: ... In general, we would fly until we didn't come back from a mission -- captured or killed. By now war was a part of our life, and we took it as it came. Were we superstitious? Yes. Like everybody else, we didn't want to be photographed before a mission because it was bad luck -- like saying, "This is the last time we saw them!" Each one of us had his own silly ways to avoid the 'evil eye' and create a good luck situation for himself. This included special lucky charms we carried with us (usually something received from one of our girls), or some special gesture from the sign of the cross, or scratching some part of our body for good luck."
--------

So, how about the idea of incorporating 'lucky charms' into a career? At the beginning of a campaign, a player could choose one of -- say -- twenty totems that would become part of his profile. Possibly each 'good luck' item could have a minor effect (like increased damage protection); perhaps only one of them might have an effect but you wouldn't know which one when you choose (it could be randomized); perhaps none of them would have any effect. The important thing is that the power (or impotence) of each charm is kept secret by the developers.

Hey, I'm pretty sure its not the worst idea ever proposed at this forum. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skycat_2
12-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I had this idea tonight that might be interesting in future sim development ...

I was reading the March 2005 issue of Aviation History magazine and came across this passage in the article Italian Trimotor Torpedo Bomber Pilot (An interview with WWII pilot Dalmazio Corradini) on page 49:

Corradini: ... In general, we would fly until we didn't come back from a mission -- captured or killed. By now war was a part of our life, and we took it as it came. Were we superstitious? Yes. Like everybody else, we didn't want to be photographed before a mission because it was bad luck -- like saying, "This is the last time we saw them!" Each one of us had his own silly ways to avoid the 'evil eye' and create a good luck situation for himself. This included special lucky charms we carried with us (usually something received from one of our girls), or some special gesture from the sign of the cross, or scratching some part of our body for good luck."
--------

So, how about the idea of incorporating 'lucky charms' into a career? At the beginning of a campaign, a player could choose one of -- say -- twenty totems that would become part of his profile. Possibly each 'good luck' item could have a minor effect (like increased damage protection); perhaps only one of them might have an effect but you wouldn't know which one when you choose (it could be randomized); perhaps none of them would have any effect. The important thing is that the power (or impotence) of each charm is kept secret by the developers.

Hey, I'm pretty sure its not the worst idea ever proposed at this forum. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Sounds cool, but I want my survival to rely on my skill and thought processing as a pilot, rather than an added boost to performance.

Skycat_2
12-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, I know that this idea doesn't come without controversy. Of course vPilots want the game to be about being the better pilot, and maybe any built-in 'charm' might appear to be a 'cheat.'

Let me be clear: I don't necessarily care if there is a tangible effect caused by choosing a token; the idea is that players think it might have an effect. Much the same way real soldiers take to superstition and religion to better their chances in combat. And if a randomly applied effect would be applied, I wouldn't advocate it be anything major ... perhaps only a one-time invulnerability to a headshot kill, or a DM value that makes your hydraulic lines a tad bit less susceptible to damage.

Obviously 'luck' doesn't make airplanes fly different or make weapons stronger, but one could argue that perhaps there is something out there that protects individuals in dangerous situations. How many stories have we read where bullets and shrapnel are stopped by pocket bibles or coins or rifle butts? My idea represents implementating the unexplainable "X Factor" that sometimes makes the difference between life and death.