PDA

View Full Version : Dont piss of the captain!! This bugs the hell outa me!

propain999
01-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Surface attack. "Man The Guns!"

I finish off this C3 and she goes down. all is good.

I continue on my plotted course and the lookout calls out "Warship Spotted!"

I give the order to "Maintain current order" and I go to the bridge and watch as my MORONIC crew fire the deck gun at a Warship that is 6000m away. WTH!!

"Who gave you the order to fire!?!?"

No answer...

I throw the deck gunners overboard and crash dive and the warship heads right at me at full speed.

This is a terrible bug, does this happen to everyone or anyone?

paulhager
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by propain999:

I give the order to "Maintain current order" and I go to the bridge and watch as my MORONIC crew fire the deck gun at a Warship that is 6000m away. WTH!!

No answer...

I throw the deck gunners overboard and crash dive and the warship heads right at me at full speed.

If your last order was to engage with the deck gun then that's what your gun crew will do.

I always set my FLAK crew to engage aircraft at long range when I leave port, then I don't have to do it again. The default for both deck and FLAK guns is to "hold fire".

Once you've fought an engagement with the deck gun, you should explicitly set the action as "hold fire" to avoid a repeat of the situation you describe.

Foehammer-1
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
No, because i send my deck gun crew below decks whenever i finish off a ship. and if a warship appears outta nowhere when im firing at a merchant, i crash dive and wait for it to p***. and then finish off the merchant

propain999
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by paulhager:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by propain999:

No answer...

If your last order was to engage with the deck gun then that's what your gun crew will do.

I always set my FLAK crew to engage aircraft at long range when I leave port, then I don't have to do it again. The default for both deck and FLAK guns is to "hold fire".

Once you've fought an engagement with the deck gun, you should explicitly set the action as "hold fire" to avoid a repeat of the situation you describe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know, but where do you give the order to hold fire? I havent come across it.

I understand what your saying, but my command while on the bridge was to engage the C3. Not a general "Engage at will"

Ohh well.. I do what the above poster said also, I take the crew off the guns to stop them from doing it again.

paulhager
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Regarding the order on the C3, once you selected that, fire-at-will became the default. See below for giving your bridge crew orders.

If you select the Watch Officer, you'll get a number of icon-options. One of the options on the left side is bridge crew setup: normal watch, FLAK, Deck Gun, and FLAK+Deck gun. Toward the right, you'll see a Deck Gun symbol. If you select that, you'll get a new set of icons that give you various orders. On the left side of this new group of icons is fire-at-will and hold-fire. There are range options to the left of these. There are also targetting options: weapons, hull, waterline, command deck (if memory serves).

Since I like to get rid of the deck gun on VII-C's at my first opportunity, my focus is on setting up the FLAK. I set it so that the gunners will open up at long range at any target. I've found that works best. I've never come close to running out of FLAK ammo, so I don't mind if the gunners waste it on long range shots. I could, however, set the orders so the FLAK gunners will fire only at approaching targets at, say, medium range. This probably would make more sense early in the war when the FLAK capability is limited and the Allied planes are at the lowest skill level.

Incidentally, when I'm in range of Allied airbases AND using the deck gun, I always bring the FLAK crew aloft as well. It may only make a few seconds' difference but those few seconds could prove critical. The first time you're blasting away at a merchant with the deck gun and planes show up - what my daughter calls an "'Oh s**t!' moment" - you'll see the value.