PDA

View Full Version : OT: Real Uboats left?

Starforce3
06-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Are there any Uboats of any type still in exsistance, or operational (Like the WW2 aircraft we see flying all over) and if so, are there any in the US? (where did the Uboats at sea at the end of the war go when they were informed the war was over?)

gsc67
06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
When I left Groten, CT. 2 years ago there was an old desiel still floating in the water. She was kept as a reainer for some reason or another. Im not sure if she is still there or now dry docked. I last heard she was brought over to New London for something, or so I was told. But that is the only one I knew of for sure. And Im not even sure if she is still floating.

gsc67
06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I just finnished an 18 hour shift... excuse my spelling !

Realjambo
06-15-2007, 05:24 PM
A good question Starforce. There are a handful of U-Boats still around today. U-534 is in Birkenhead, Liverpool, UK, but is sadly rotting away. Here's a LINK (http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART33950.html) to some info about it.

Some U-Boat Kaleuns, upon recieving news that the Germany had capitulated scuttled their boats, deliberatley sinking them but there weren't very many at sea at this time. Others, headed for 'safe havens' - countries that were allied to Germany or were still under German occupation. Many more were distributed between the 'winning' nations of WW2 and of those some were used as target parctice, others were used for a period of time untilk they came to the end of their servicable life.

I'm sure other forum members can expand on this.

hueywolf123
06-15-2007, 05:24 PM
U-995 at Laboe in Germany

gsc67
06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm suprised that some buff & investor has not put up a few bucks to grab one for a private collection... I understand the expence of such a thing. But if people pay millions for baseballs... you figure someone would want a WWII relic to hold on to and preserve. But you are right... great question, and I am sure there will be some knowledgeable people that come along to add to this topic. As you can tell.... It seem I am not one of them !! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

WilhelmSchulz.
06-15-2007, 07:38 PM
U-505 in Chicago

Starforce3
06-15-2007, 09:44 PM
interesting. If I am ever in chicago, I'll hafta stop and see it.

AtlantikEel
06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
From u-boat.net:

U-995
Surrendered in 1945, now a war memorial in Laboe, Germany.

U-2540
Raised in 1957 after being scuttled in 1945, now in a museum boat in Germany.

U-534
Raised from the Kattegat in 1993. Now in restoration at Birkenhead, England.
(This boats fate uncertain, as the museum in Birkenhead is apparently closing for lack of funds -- AtlantikEel).

U-505
Captured by the US Navy in 1944. Now in Chicago, USA.

3 Type XXI boats are still existing in Hamburg, Germany.

Vesikko
The prototype for the Type IIA boats. Now in the Finnish Military Museum.

Midget boats
Listing the roughly 20 midget boats still around in museums around the world.

Operation Deadlight was the code name for the scuttling of the unwanted German U-boats which the allies got their hands on after the end of World War Two (WWII). Most of these (if not all) operations took place from Lisahally, Northern Ireland or Loch Ryan, Scotland. About 121 German U-boats were scuttled during the fall and and winter of 1945-1946 out of Ireland.
For some reason this is possibly the one aspect of the U-boat war that is the most difficult to get accurate information on. Some of the U-boats scuttled seemed to have simply been "dumped" wherever seemed ideal at the time while others clearly went into pre-selected locations.

Starforce3
06-15-2007, 11:09 PM
perhaps preselected locations were areas where the nazi's felt were too deep for recovery before technology advanced to the point where recovery of the vessels would no longer have any stratgic impact?

AtlantikEel
06-15-2007, 11:24 PM
No, these locations were pre-selected by the Allies as disposal locations, after Germany's defeat.

Grrbob25
06-16-2007, 01:31 PM
For Future reference U-2540 is located at Bremerhaven, Germany http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif