PDA

View Full Version : A request to the admins who control the ping limit kicks on Zekes vs Wildcats

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2006, 04:37 AM
Gents I fly on your server when I can. I am restricted because I am on dial up & I do get kicked due to ping spikes. Your limit is set to 500 & it does reset so I get 5 warnings & I am grateful for this, at least I get to fly. Is it possible for you & your team to raise the ping restriction to 650. This may be a big ask but if it doesnt affect others gameplay then its worth a try.

PF_Coastie
08-17-2006, 04:59 AM
I am not admin on that server.

But I can tell you that the kick settings are quite routine. I am actually surprised at the 5 warnings...this is very leanient. While you are spiking and getting your 5 warnings, it will cause problems for other players...especially ones close by you. One warning is what I run when hosting.

Unfortunately, the settings must meet the needs of many and not the few.

Crash_Moses
08-17-2006, 05:22 AM
Dasriech, check out the Pacific Conflict server. It has a pretty high ping kick and I routinely fly with no problems at all even when the server is full. It's full real with objective based missions.

Also, disable error control and compression on your modem and add S32=98 to your init string. This will force the v.34 protocol which will, unfortunatly, drop you to 28.8 or 36 kbs but is much more stable with low packet loss.

S!

Taylortony
08-17-2006, 05:31 AM
In your connection settings in the set up window.... change it from 56k down to 14 if it is there or the lowest connection speed, this reduces the amount of info the ping carries and speeds up your game... I run mine on a 2.2mb connection at the lowest setting....

BOA_Allmenroder
08-17-2006, 07:09 AM
If you're connecting via HL there's some HL settings you can adjust as well that might help. See warbirdsofprey.org forums; I believe the details are there.

Crash_Moses
08-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Which reminds me...check out this thread. It was immensely helpful to me.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/4611068914

Also, download TWEAKDUN from here. Made a huge improvement in my connection.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakDUN_d497.html

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
I run tweakdun, this has helped. I tried to follow the thread suggested Crash but found my ping actually increased. I also run a V.92 internal modem, which the contributors to the dial up thread say is bad.

I will have another tweak session when I finnish work & have a sleep, hopefully I will see you guys on line on th Pacific conflict server tommorow. I want to shoot down more hellcats in my 109G6 LATE. Give us more Operation Dragoon. LOVE IT.

Crash_Moses
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Roger that! That's right...you were on the other night! Lotsa fun!

Yeah, unfortunately by dropping down to the v.34 protocol your ping will increase. However, because the modem isn't constantly trying to renegotiate a better connection it's much more stable. Packet loss affects the connection much more than ping.

But yeah, if you have a winmodem you might be out of luck until you get your broadband. Oh well, see ya on Pacific Conflict!

S!

vocatx
08-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Krake, I'll drop an e-mail to a couple of the admins over there for you. Like Coastie said, I'm afraid the settings will probably remain the same.

I'm not sure what the problem has been lately, but my ping hasn't been very stable to WoP servers lately, and I've heard others say the same. My ping usually runs less than 100 to them. I believe Chicago Chad actually reset the ping warnings after I got kicked several times one night due to spikes. It could be there is some problem with the internet in the area where the server is located causing this. I'll see what I can find out.

XyZspineZyX
08-17-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks for all your help gents its apprieciated
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joopy1974
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
S!, dasreich.

As some have suggested, the current ping limit/warnings are considered to be more than fair, by many. However, I would suggest posting your concerns on the Warbirds of Prey forums, at www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org). I can't guarantee that it will change anything, but it would definitely be worth a shot, and would certainly spark some good discussion.

S!

4H_Joop
WoP admin

Crash_Moses
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Just thought of something. Had a big problem with spikes last week and after a little detective work I determined it was the Windows automatic update feature.

When there is an update available Windows will keep checking to see if it can download it and this causes some rather severe spiking. Even more frustrating (I discovered) was that once an update has started to download Windows will keep trying to download it even after you turn off automatic updates. Very frustrating! Basically I had to wait until the !@#$% update was done before I could play.

Norton Internet Security does this also so try turning off both (If not already).

S!