PDA

View Full Version : Track IR with one eye

Nimrod1977
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I lost an eye in an accident and don't have full muscle control in the other, will track IR work for me, I understand you have to tur your head for it to work so do you have to turn your head so much that you have to look to your right with just your eye, I hope I explained that well enough.

Nimrod1977
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I lost an eye in an accident and don't have full muscle control in the other, will track IR work for me, I understand you have to tur your head for it to work so do you have to turn your head so much that you have to look to your right with just your eye, I hope I explained that well enough.

WOLFPLAYER2007
07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
You can use your peripherical vision to look to the monitor while you move your head, but im not sure since i dont have this hardware.

T_O_A_D
07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I just tried it with one eye, it will work.
I don't even come close to loosing vision of the screen, when I have full head movement in the game.

Even if you do, you can advance your profile a bit and gain what you need with even less head movement.

Take a look at the track Ir link in my sig,I have a scetch with a short pencil in my mouth.
You could try and duplicate scetch and see how well you would be able to see with same range of movment.

SithSpeeder
07-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Tough call without you actually being able to try one. Where do you live? I bet there is someone in this community who may meet with you to try theirs out.

For me, I turn my head probably about 30 degrees while looking at the center of the monitor before my big schnoz gets in the way. Turning my head the other way 30 degrees while looking at the center of the monitor completes the effective range.

Does your muscle control allow you to keep your eye in the center of the monitor while going +/- 30 degrees to the sides? If yes, it'll probably work for you. If no, probably not.

Hope that helps.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

P.S. And welcome aboard! This is a crazy group, but we call it home.

Nimrod1977
07-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys, the only direction my eye won't go is to the right but it sounds like I could set it up to just use my perifrial for that dirrection.

BadA1m
07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that you lost an eye, yet glad you have the other one still. I really believe track IR will work fine for you, especially the newest TIR4 variety, it requires very little head movement to work well and you can do really cool stuff with the profiles with some time and patience, I.E.; set up "flat zones" in the center so you don't get a stiff neck trying to keep the thing steady and excelerating the speed of in game movement as you turn your head more and probably the best thing is that with the latest software you can set it up to react differently frome one side to the other to help compensate for your differing eye movement from left to right (at least it seems to me that might be helpful).

Bearcat99
07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
It should work.. you can scale the amount of virtual vs actual head turn. Just like you can do with a mouse.

SeaFireLIV
07-16-2007, 06:55 PM
It`ll work with one eye. You simply have to offset either the main trackir module position or adjust it in settings. But TIR relys on your HEAD movement, not your eye. As long as you can see, it will work. It can be adjusted so you barely need to move your head as well.

By the way, very sorry to hear of your injury. Get well quickly.