PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain

J.M.LLOYD
07-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi All.I have read many accounts of the Battle over the years,and two factors stand out regarding the fighter pilots of both sides,1 RAF pilots landing to refuel and rearm which could go on all day,if they wer not shot down and killed.2 German pilots being obliged[because of the poor range of the ME 109]to return to France or risk ditching in the channel after only 30 minutes combat over southern England On a point realism I was hoping that these factors could be made part of the much anticipated release of Maddox Battle of Britain in November, we live in hope. Taffy Lloyd

leitmotiv
07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Here's hoping. The experience ought to be less than pleasant for the 109 drivers having only, literally, minutes to engage and to disengage---one eye nervously watching for the red light. Exhaustion a huge factor for both sides.

D13th_Toppy
07-21-2006, 09:24 PM
RAF pilots landing to refuel and rearm which could go on all day,if they wer not shot down and killed.

People do get tired, even if they have another armed and fueled plane to fly or not.

ImpStarDuece
07-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Most Battle of Britain pilots flew only one or two sorties a day.

There were exceptions though with some flying up to 4 or 5 missions a day.

Flight in a high performance fighter, even one as gentle to its pilots as a Hurricane or Spitfire, was not an easy task. You have all sorts of vibrations from the airplane, changes in pressure and temperature to deal with, the brightness of the sun in your eyes at 20,000 feet, putting yourself on oxygen and other assorted nasties. The simple act of flying in a small cockpit, accelerating, decellerating, without even getting into combat situation, messes with you body in fierce ways, even if you only do it once a day. Add to this the stress of risking your life every time you went up, following orders, watching out for your squadmates, constantly staying alter for enemy fighters and you can understand why the BoB period was so hard on RAF pilots.

J.M.LLOYD
07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I could not agree more,the stress on even young men must have been incredible. I remember reading of a Hurricane landing back at its airfield and coming to a stop and just sitting there with the engine running, the ground crew quickly opening the canopy thinking that the pilot was either wounded or dead, only to find him fast asleep What men,what brave men

MrMojok
07-22-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't think having just ten minutes of combat time in a 109, then having to run back across the channel is going to be an option for this sim. No one is going to want to play like that.

It may be unrealistic to allow more, but I don't see any alternative.

biggs222
07-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
I don't think having just ten minutes of combat time in a 109, then having to run back across the channel is going to be an option for this sim. No one is going to want to play like that.

It may be unrealistic to allow more, but I don't see any alternative.

i believe that the Battle of Briatin: WoV sim by shockwave uses realistic fuel settings.... and that doesnt seem to have hurt their sales.

and anyway... there's always the "unlimited fuel" option, in single play mode. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif