PDA

View Full Version : Ummm? am i doing wrong!

wasistda
02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi all,
I have just been told about "starforce" and being a noob when it comes to this sort of thing
I thought I'd look it up in this forum,every thread seems to have been locked by "Steve V".
Is it a threat! or harmless!
Sorry Steve if i am outa place,would just like to know the facts.
S~

wasistda
02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi all,
I have just been told about "starforce" and being a noob when it comes to this sort of thing
I thought I'd look it up in this forum,every thread seems to have been locked by "Steve V".
Is it a threat! or harmless!
Sorry Steve if i am outa place,would just like to know the facts.
S~

Chuck_Older
02-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Starforce is copy protection software.

Ask the guys on Ubi's "Silent Hunter III" forums about it. I'm sure you'll get an earfull http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

danjama
02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
i dont have any issues abut it but alot of people like to cry about it

BaldieJr
02-17-2006, 05:19 PM
starforce is not a problem on my machine. all of my hard/software is legit and didn't come from goodwill.

MadBadVlad
02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Its nothing to panic about unless you are particularly paranoid about copy protection or have CD imaging software on your machine.

Works fine for me on all games that include Starforce

steve_v
02-17-2006, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wasistda:
Sorry Steve if i am outa place,would just like to know the facts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The facts are none of the IL series uses Starforce. However, Ubisoft is not alone in using it for their new releases. Facts and opinions are plentiful. I cannot attest to the reality they are based upon. I wish it were otherwise.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-17-2006, 05:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
The facts are none of the IL series uses Starforce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true of the series released in the west, but didn't the FSU (for Soviet Union) releases incorporate it?

steve_v
02-17-2006, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
The facts are none of the IL series uses Starforce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true of the series released in the west, but didn't the FSU (for Soviet Union) releases incorporate it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could you please specify which release? To my knowledge, none. Can inquire.

VW-IceFire
02-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I hear varrying opinions on the subject.

StarForce is a copy protection system. It uses a driver that is hidden on your system that disables a variety of systems to prevent copying and to ensure copyrights are held.

There are varrying issues such as how StarForce is not removed when you remove the game. Some people have reported hardware failures (unconfirmed). Some people strongly object to its installation not being mentioned during the games install. Some people report that software like Nero refuse to operate properly after StarForce is installed even when the game CD is not present and the game is not running (they want to burn Uncle Joes digital camera pictures onto a CD for instance). Some people report no problems. Its a bit of a mix.

The problem I think is mostly a communications issue. They install software on your system without you asking for it to do it. While there is precedent for both...this kind of behavior is more commonly associated with the Sony Rootkit fiasco as well as your common everyday spyware like RX_Bar that you get when you install Kazaa (supposedly spyware free but this is a lie).

As there is now proposed legislation in the U.S. on spyware as well as some fairly interesting talks with Sony regarding the Rootkit mess there may be some future laws that will at least affect U.S. citizens with what the rules and regulations are on software installation. StarForce will no doubt have to adapt to this.

My hope is that some standards are introduced so that nothing is done without informed consent (this is partly a Windows problem too) and that the software operates specifically as designed and does not interfere in any other legitimate operation on the computer.

|CoB|_Spectre
02-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Could you please specify which release? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=1104352

I don't own any software using Starforce, so I have no experience pro or con on its effect. Too, I've never been shot, but judging from reading the experiences from those who have, I don't think I'd like it.