PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Summit17
04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Well my games are finally here, got everything loaded up.
I have a few questions as I am not a real pilot, so some things are a bit confusing for me.

what is aileron?
what is prop pitch?
why and when do I need to use mixtures?
Why do I stall or black out whenever Im flying the plane hard?
How do you get out of stalls without bailing?
Also, my brakes are defined as 'B'. but when Im taking off from a carrier, I throttle up to max, and I hit b, it wont go anywhere, so if i hit b again, it sitll wont move, is there sometihng I should be doing becuase with the brakes off I should be moving.

Thanks

Jatro13th
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi mate, welcome to the sim world.

It an awful lot what you're asking to be fully explained over here in a post, so I'll give you a link to go where you can read the answers to your questions and many other things. For a quick guide, go to No12.

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page

Have fun!!!!

RxMan
04-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Your last question concerns 'chocks'.
This is not explained well on the link provided above.
The 'chocks' are some blocks of wood placed in front and in back of your wheels when on a carrier (and the 'test runways') to prevent your plane from rolling off the deck.
Proper procedure (when it's your turn to launch) is to: if needed extend wings, then start & run engine up to full rpm, increase mixture, set take-off or full flaps, release chocks, be ready! (some people lock tailwheel, I find that troublesome sometimes).
Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Summit17
04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the quick answers gents

slo_1_2_3
04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know what that thread covered but you black out cause the g's(g forces) pull all the blood away from your brain and you pass out ,this is when you pull back hard a=or at high speed and a red out is the opposite the blood is rushing to your head.
A stall you may have a chance by throttle ling up and down and trying to force the nose down and the higher your altitude at the begining of the stall the better your chances.
And adding to what rxman said you have to find chocks in the setting and assign a key to it I use ctrl+c.

Snowman1025
04-11-2006, 08:58 PM
To get out of stalls I put throttle at 0% and give full rudder in the opposite direction of the stall. It can sometimes take time, but it works!

AFJ_Locust
04-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Read everything you can at airwarfair

Ritter_Cuda
04-14-2006, 09:06 AM
read everything you can there but also come here
http://www.joint-ops.com/joil2fb/default.asp
this is a flight school they can teach you to take off, crash..er land all the baisics

Tully__
04-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Another collection of good articles: http://www.simhq.com/_air/acc_library.html

JV-44
04-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Snowman1025:
To get out of stalls I put throttle at 0% and give full rudder in the opposite direction of the stall. It can sometimes take time, but it works!

I am assuming you meant to type "Spins" instead of "Stalls".

S/F
Gunner

VW-IceFire
04-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Summit17:
Well my games are finally here, got everything loaded up.
I have a few questions as I am not a real pilot, so some things are a bit confusing for me.

what is aileron?
what is prop pitch?
why and when do I need to use mixtures?
Why do I stall or black out whenever Im flying the plane hard?
How do you get out of stalls without bailing?
Also, my brakes are defined as 'B'. but when Im taking off from a carrier, I throttle up to max, and I hit b, it wont go anywhere, so if i hit b again, it sitll wont move, is there sometihng I should be doing becuase with the brakes off I should be moving.

Thanks
1) Ailerons are the control surfaces on your wings. They control the aircrafts roll to the left or right.

2) Prop pitch is the angle to which the propeller is oriented. Most WWII fighters in this game use something called a constant speed propeller where the pitch varies by engine RPM so the games prop pitch control is sort of mislabled...but you can control the RPM of the engine using the pitch control. Don't worry too much unless you fly 109s...then ask a expert 109 pilot about it.

3) Mixture mostly for aircraft with manual mixture settings. Most of those are Russian (most American, British, and German aircraft automatically manage fuel mix). Lower mixture percentages at higher altitudes to compensate for air pressure changes.

4) Blackouts are caused by the blood in the pilots bloody rushing to his feet. The brain is starved for blood so you loose peripheral vision and then consciousness. A human body can only tolerate so many G's before blacking out.

5) Carriers require you to bind a key called "Release chocks". This allows you to build full power before letting loose down the deck.

Aeronautico
04-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Not to sound impolite but... what about giving a quick look at the manuals? I'm always puzzled the way newcomers ask questions that can easily be found in the manuals coming with the software.
Unless there's no manual and only the software...
(but the .pdf are still there)

heywooood
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
its called instant gratification...its quicker just to ask other, experienced people than to go pawing around in some text looking for answers.

and most people don't mind sharing what they know , so...

Persecutor_352
04-21-2006, 08:00 AM
@Summit,

When you are done reading all the fine information you have been linked to, check out Ramblin'Jack's "Flight Training for Dummy's" (http://352ndfg.com/IL2/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=77). You will find some very helpful information there that is explained in a clear, concise, and patient manner.

Blue skies!!

Texan...
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Welkome.