PDA

View Full Version : Do the right thing people!

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I want everyone to know that I paid for (twice), and downloaded the Pe2 add-on just like anyone else. Including the BoontyBox software.

I understand the reservations people have about the BoontyBox software, and I won't say I disagree. Please understand that I'm not an advocate for BoontyBox, or even UBI, really, but I do care very much about the future of the IL2 series into BoB.

I have seen, and been offered so called 'clean' versions of the Pe2 add-on through FTP (While i was under alias of course). They supposedly don't have the BoontyBox software. These are home-developed, not official versions of the game! And I don't have to tell you how that hurts this small community. I know I can't stop this version of the game from spreading, but please... If you obtain a copy of Pe2, pay for it. That's all I ask. If you care about this community and the games developers, you will buy a license. If you enjoy this software w/o paying for it, your a thief. It`s that simple.

You can buy a license from here (http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=386&id=97) If you buy a license and then choose not to download the game from UBI, that's your business. This community is way to small to allow dishonesty.

sabotshooter88
04-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Sell me a "Official" Clean version and I will. I know the squad I fly with not going to screw around with PE-2 until all the bugs are worked out with or without BB.

Genie-
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
sure Ivan. I'll pay. But to Oleg. Not to UBI. This was so out of line that until UBI do not change it's policy I wil not BUY a single game they will have their fingerprints on it.

Kapteeni
04-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Just DL and installed PE2 and the friggin boonty. Spend 4 hours trying to get everything work.Finally with help (Luthiers thread) got game to work. I almost paid also twice. Is it too simple just to get serial and request code for DL?
My opinion is that Boontybox only increases piracy!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif
Well! Now that said, im a happy because i have my Peshka
edit: BoontyBox is not that dangerous, coz u can delete it. But is just bad for Oleg. I hope they can make good old CD version

georgeo76
04-30-2006, 03:22 PM
If you want to protest UBI by not buying the game, fine. That's integrity.

If you want to protest UBI by not buying the game, but still want to play the game, that's thievery and hypocrisy.

The thieves will steal anyway, but if you want to use BoontyBox as an excuse, just know your no better.

TAW_Oilburner
04-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
I want everyone to know that I paid for (twice), and downloaded the Pe2 add-on just like anyone else. Including the BoontyBox software.

I understand the reservations people have about the BoontyBox software, and I won't say I disagree. Please understand that I'm not an advocate for BoontyBox, or even UBI, really, but I do care very much about the future of the IL2 series into BoB.

I have seen, and been offered so called 'clean' versions of the Pe2 add-on through FTP (While i was under alias of course). They supposedly don't have the BoontyBox software. These are home-developed, not official versions of the game! And I don't have to tell you how that hurts this small community. I know I can't stop this version of the game from spreading, but please... If you obtain a copy of Pe2, pay for it. That's all I ask. If you care about this community and the games developers, you will buy a license. If you enjoy this software w/o paying for it, your a thief. It`s that simple.

You can buy a license from here (http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=386&id=97) If you buy a license and then choose not to download the game from UBI, that's your business. This community is way to small to allow dishonesty.

Amen to that.

I could care less about PE2 (although it is a neat plane) but I am waiting for Manchuria. To get Manchuria, not only do I need this expansion but I'm assuming I need it to be somewhat successful (sales wise).

Just pay your money and follow these instructions. I have a paid for, boonty-less install (best of both worlds).

Here's a thread that shows how to remove boonty after you purchase PE2 and also shows how to quickly switch between 404 and 405 without having 2 copies on your HD. There are also luthier's instructions on adding the 2 pe2 single player mission files which were mislabeled inthe boonty install (at least when I installed it they were mislabeled).

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb....topic;f=144;t=004614 (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=004614)

Pay your money to Ubi so Oleg will at least get a little return on all he has FREELY given us (mosquito,tempest,DO335,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc)

sabotshooter88
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by georgeo76:
If you want to protest UBI by not buying the game, fine. That's integrity.

If you want to protest UBI by not buying the game, but still want to play the game, that's thievery and hypocrisy.

I'm going to continue to play the game. 4.04m

I would like to believe that the majority of the "disillusionsed" are not going to rush out and steal a copy so they can fly the Russian bomber.

I'll gladly pay my money to Oleg and then some. Money is not the issue. It's like ordering a Turkey sandwich and getting penut butter added. It's not that I can't scrap it off, but I didn't want it in the first place.

GR142_Astro
04-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm staying with 4.04. I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat or anything like that, but UBI has performed these marketing blunders over and over again. From what I understand I am cut out of the deal anyway with win98. And NOBODY is going get near my boonty box with odd installer software.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I sort of agree with the spirit of what you post, Ivan....

but, even if I were to take the route of "buying a license [on principle of supporting the developer], not downloading it, and then getting some Boonty-hacked version of it", at some point I would still look like a thief, especially if some later download software has some whatever-ware that's designed to detect install irregularities.

The "right thing to do" is for Ubi to extract BoontyBox from the download/install process, issue the community an APOLOGY for their affrontery, take a "hands off" stance toward any information on my hard drive and let me just buy a clean install of the mod. Period. Point blank. End of story. Stop the corporate/marketing bullsh*t and this whole thing blows over.

I sure wish you'd stop trying to deflect blame and responsbility on this issue to the users. We didn't start this. And as far as responsibility goes, we ARE being responsible for protecting our interests; that's why we're exposing this boondoggle for what it is.

Speaking of "starting things", how's it coming on my avatar editing, which at least one member of your "oh so righteous" moderator crew have fiddled with a number of times, including yesterday? See the "Moooo" thingee over in the left hand column?

I use your own words, and aim them back at YOU: DO THE RIGHT THING, Ivan.

A.K.Davis
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
You know, if you give him 8 grams, no one will mind Ivan.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Much easier to call for a ban on ideas you don't agree with, and likely don't even have the grey matter to understand, Davis, when it would suit you better to offer up some good defenses for BB.

Maybe then you'd have a chance to post something intelligent for a change.

VW-IceFire
04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm waiting till next weekend. Let some of the bugs filter through and then I'll get lined up and do it.

BoontyBox is just one element...its loosing its importance but I think it would have been nice to have more warning over it than just springing it on us. If anyone actually has the nerve to ask why people have reservations I will argue their ear off...there is good reason for reservation...particularly in the way it was done if not in the why. The why is very practical.

Some of the other stuff like the EXE not working properly and crashing campaigns and whatnot is not as good. Fortunately we have a dedicated community and the problems will be solved. But its just very difficult to accept all of that in one swallow.

I'll wait till the dust settles next weekend and take the plunge.

Targ
04-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Nobody like copy protection, and yes it really looks like the install had some good sized problems for some people. Nothing that has not been figuered out and fixed. The main complaint though is that boontybox is spyware/malware and collects all kinds of info on you and that they sell it. This is simply not true.
The boontybox you download has no spyware or malware in it.
This program is simple DRM software IE copy protection, a rather mild type as well. The Eula is one of the more tame versions I have ever seen and the pure mis- information being parroted by some of you is horrible.
Read the Eula for your selves.
BoontyBox Eula (http://simjunkie.com/files/boonty_Eula.txt) *Right click save as*

Where does it say that they collect information on you and sell it to third parties? I can plainly see where it says in rather plain English that they will never sell any information commercially to third parties.
This is the Eula that counts folks and if boontybox is collecting info and selling it than they will have a class action law suite on there hands as they have clearly broken there own Eula.
But have they?
As far as anyone who has actually taken the time to investigate this the answer is no, not at all.
For those of you stealing the game, rot in hell.
To those who have bought it thank you for helping support this game. I hope it is enough to get the other two add ons and that this will help with completing BoB and the next generation of flight sims from Maddox games.

georgeo76
04-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Dose it make you dizzy Stigler, the way the whole world revolves around you?

Which one of your posts was deleted? Who has stopped you from voicing your opinion about BB? Is it that some ppl disagree w/ you that makes you feel oppressed? Who the hell is defending BB? Did you ever consider it was your condescension and arrogance that puts ppl off and not your ideas?

The only thing you 'exposed' about BB was wild and paranoid speculation about it's fantastical malicious properties. I haven't seen one person say they liked BB and was happy UBI included it.
You don't like it....fine. You won't buy it...fine You want to tell us all how and why you don't like it and won't buy it, repeatedly...fine What is it that you think your being denied?

Your just up to your old malcontent ways. It's ironic that the very thing your accusing everyone else of, is exactly what your doing. Isn't your core complaint that people are expressing an opinion in opposition to your own? This martyr for the truth act of yours is wearing thin.

Toten_Waffe
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Im just p!ssed off with 2 major issues.

1)I never agreed to install BoontyBox before I paid

2)Its responsible for the CTD's and memory errors!!!!!

And as far as BoontyBox being spyware, it sure ticks all the boxes as far as the wikipedia article defines spyware.....maybe i should e-mail them tommorow and get them to change their description.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Dose it make you dizzy Stigler, the way the whole world revolves around you?

Which one of your posts was deleted? Who has stopped you from voicing your opinion about BB? Is it that some ppl disagree w/ you that makes you feel oppressed? Who the hell is defending BB? Did you ever consider it was your condescension and arrogance that puts ppl off and not your ideas?

The only thing you 'exposed' about BB was wild and paranoid speculation about it's fantastical malicious properties. I haven't seen one person say they liked BB and was happy UBI included it.
You don't like it....fine. You won't buy it...fine You want to tell us all how and why you don't like it and won't buy it, repeatedly...fine What is it that you think your being denied?

Your just up to your old malcontent ways. It's ironic that the very thing your accusing everyone else of, is exactly what your doing. Isn't your core complaint that people are expressing an opinion in opposition to your own? This martyr for the truth act of yours is wearing thin.

None of my posts on BB has been omitted...as of this writing. Time will tell. I have been censored before on this board, and not for any of the reasons why anyone should be. None of my posts are threatening, obscene or libelous. Or even OT, for that matter. So, what's your point?

Where have I posted anything saying people don't have a right to defend BB? In fact, if you bother to check, you'll see I wholeheartedly supported one guy's (ChuckOlder) right to make his own decision and buy the add-on. You need to work on your comprehension if you're gonna hold yer own in a debate with me, pal.

Who's defending BB? Open your eyes mate, it seems to be running about 50/50. Again, what's your point?

I seem to have missed the post I "supposedly made" demanding anyone agree with me. I'm just putting in my 2 shekels, just like you. Maybe the fact that I also have an opinion is what's got your panties in a wad? You tell me.

Perhaps go back, read the posts in order, nice and slow, so you'll get it, then come back here and post something that's relevant, or adds to the discussion, hmm?

Y'know, ever since that "olive branch" PM you sent me a while back, attempting to "perhaps understand my motives", you've joined the spittle-spewing fanboi masses who always jump to personal attacks on anything I post, with nothing at all to add to, or tear down the actual content in what I post. Most people can see that for what it is, you know. They're not that stupid...nor are they so blindly obedient to what "the authorities" tell them.

mortoma1958
04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
I already paid but can't DL it or extract it in Win98SE, so another "illicit" version may be something for me to think about. But I did pay for it and can easily prove it by the emails I received. So I think if I get a bootleg I would be justified?? Maybe??? Opinions??? Let me know if you think I would be a criminal, all posts back to me will be considered. But I will not be on the net for a while since I am moving tonight and have to get back on the internet at the new house. As we all know, this can take a few days or even a week or more.

Toten_Waffe
04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
What also upsets me is last night a guy posted that he was having serious problems with the install.

He posted in very poor broken English, so obviously it was not his first language.

I just thought.....mate your gonna be in a whole world of pain trying to get someone to explain how to do this for you.

It genuinely made me feel quite sorry for him.

zoinks_
04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
please buy the game and don't steal it. nice post. i don't see the elder scrolls forums filled with what's been happening here. probably because people ARE buying the game. no copy protection.

i guess there are more honest people than thieves after all. hard to believe, huh?

ochi
04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't know what the problem with boontybox is. I installed, downloaded, ran, everything ok. I was gonna delete boontybox but thought, i'll just need it for the next patch. On the boontybox window is a configuration tab. I clicked on it and it allowed me to turn off all automatic updates, scans ect. Not a peep out of it, my spyware, antivirus, firewall would freak out if it tried anything. So i'm cool with it, no problem with me.

MB_Avro_UK
04-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone 'concrete proof' that BB is a problem?

Please post your evidence if so.

I downloaded on Friday and so far my blood has not turned green and my PC runs as smooth as ever.

My on-line bank account is intact and there is no trace of spyware/malware/trojans/worms although it has started to rain.

But I do have a great download and I will do the same again without hesitation.

Just my non-paranoid thoughts...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Targ
04-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by zoinks_:
please buy the game and don't steal it. nice post. i don't see the elder scrolls forums filled with what's been happening here. probably because people ARE buying the game. no copy protection.

i guess there are more honest people than thieves after all. hard to believe, huh?

Oblivion has copy protection, if you look in the teck support forums and do a search for bethsec.dll or mod install probelms and you will see that there are tons of people having trouble with the copy protection.

Worf101
04-30-2006, 05:04 PM
I bought, I paid, I believe firmly in paying for what I get. Did what I needed to do to get Boonty Box OFF my PC but all of a sudden I'm taking a beating in FPS and I don't know why...

Wow...

Da Worfster

Recon_609IAP
04-30-2006, 05:05 PM
For those that don't pay for this game fail to recognize that this in turn will have a negative impact on future flight sims. I for one would like to see another flight sim in 5 years from now, but if you keep stealing the money from the creator of the game, you are only hurting yourself if you like flight sims.

We've had many free patches with addon material, for 1C to ask for a measly $18 USD purchase is nothing for all that has been given for free.

You want to fault Ubi - fine, but please realize that stealing this game hurts the development of future flight sims from 1C.

There is no justification to stealing this game, 2 wrongs do not make a right.

AWL_Spinner
04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I'll buy it, just like I've bought every other Maddox product, when I'm happy I've got the complete technical picture for:

o Rectifying the installation errors BB introduces (we'll see if any more crop up)
o Removing BB's self propagation from Oleg's .exe files.
o Removing all traces of BB from my registry.

This'll only be another day or two, the rate things are going, so no biggie! I'm looking forward to the Pe-2!

Targ - I appreciate where you're coming from, honestly, but:

The main complaint though is that boontybox is spyware/malware and collects all kinds of info on you and that they sell it. This is simply not true.

Isn't the whole picture. Not everyone can just accept the intrusion of extra unwanted processes not related to the Maddox product hogging their memory and CPU for purposes nefarious or otherwise. It's the unannounced inclusion of this in Oleg's .exe files that really rankles, this stuff was NOT in the product delivered, or the Russian market, and as has been seen on numerous threads, even if you ignore the tinfoil-hattery, introduces concrete flaws like memory errors whilst the game is running and amateur file naming problems during installation.

Don't worry, I'll buy it, once, twice, dunno yet, I've contributed extra in the past and will do again no doubt.

I guess what I'm saying is justifiable mistrust of this sort of delivery method does not equate to a lack of support for 1C:Maddox - the two are entirely separate issues, and will remain so!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG52Uther
04-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I think one of the problems is that BB and the problems it has caused with this install has actually driven people towards piracy.I paid for my pe2 add on,and then spent nearly 3 hours trying to install it.Maybe I am naive,but I think the majority here are honest,and do want to support Oleg now and in the future.People just want to install the add on with no problems.

A.K.Davis
04-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
Much easier to call for a ban on ideas you don't agree with, and likely don't even have the grey matter to understand, Davis, when it would suit you better to offer up some good defenses for BB.

Stigler, I'm not insulting you. I just want you banned. If there was a "Stigler Mute Button" that could be integrated into the forum interface, I'd be quite happy with that.

I mean, I consider it an invasion of my privacy and a violation of my rights as a Ubi customer that I am forced to even risk accidently reading your posts.

Where in the EULA or website privacy policy does it say that by using Ubi services I give up my right not to be assaulted, violated and, dare I say, RAPED with Stigler-Spam?

You've long since made it clear that you reap great pleasure from every failure of the series, so I just don't see the point of nice people like Ivan indulging you long term.

chris455
04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by sabotshooter88:
Sell me a "Official" Clean version and I will. I know the squad I fly with not going to screw around with PE-2 until all the bugs are worked out with or without BB.

WHAT BUGS??????????????????????
I D/L'd the add-on, Boontybox and all, NO PROBLEMS.
It D/L'd without a hitch, installed without a hitch, and ran without a hitch.
Of course I did:

Buy the official version.
Read and followed the instructions.
Wrote down and saved the unlock key.

What is the issue here???

I think some people are listening to the problems of a few and thinking that their experiences are indicative of the experiences of all. (maybe the people who had no problems are too busy enjoying the add-on to post how simple the D/L and installation was???).

Bottom line: If you want Pe-2, buy it from UBI under their terms and conditions. If not, don't. Use your dollar (or Euro, or whatever) votes to let them know how you feel. But don't let others make up your mind for you. You would think to listen to some folks around here that BoontyBox makes the MyDoom virus look appealing.

It's a piece of cake. I can only hope that Manchuria and 1946 are this trouble free.
Thanks again for another great add-on, Oleg and Co.
Chris

Rjel
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Speaking of "starting things", how's it coming on my avatar editing, which at least one member of your "oh so righteous" moderator crew have fiddled with a number of times, including yesterday? See the "Moooo" thingee over in the left hand column?

I use your own words, and aim them back at YOU: DO THE RIGHT THING, Ivan.

I haven't often agreed with Stigler's viewpoint thru the years, but I do here. Why should he be held up to ridicule for voicing the opposing view? If changing his avatar settings has been done by a mod, then that's pretty childish. I would imagine that if I had accomplished it as an everyday poster, I'd be looking at a banning.

Evilskippy1966
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
I must have messed up somewhere. I'll I had to do is remove boonty from start up and set the service to manual. It doesn't run then, or eat any resources. I'm good for the next download in a few months. The only installation problem I had was that IL2 is not on my default drive. I just copied the pe2.exe to the correct drive and ran it.

My anitvirus, antispyware, and firewall hasn't complained either. It notified me when it connected to download the pe2.exe file and when I had to enter the keycode. That's it.

For horribly malicious spyware, it's pretty inept since you can disable it, remove, or block it at will http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Toten_Waffe
04-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by chris455:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sabotshooter88:

WHAT BUGS??????????????????????
I D/L'd the add-on, Boontybox and all, NO PROBLEMS.
It D/L'd without a hitch, installed without a hitch, and ran without a hitch.
Of course I did:

Buy the official version.
Read and followed the instructions.
Wrote down and saved the unlock key.

What is the issue here???

I think some people are listening to the problems of a few and thinking that their experiences are indicative of the experiences of all. (maybe the people who had no problems are too busy enjoying the add-on to post how simple the D/L and installation was???).

Bottom line: If you want Pe-2, buy it from UBI under their terms and conditions. If not, don't. Use your dollar (or Euro, or whatever) votes to let them know how you feel. But don't let others make up your mind for you. You would think to listen to some folks around here that BoontyBox makes the MyDoom virus look appealing.

It's a piece of cake. I can only hope that Manchuria and 1946 are this trouble free.
Thanks again for another great add-on, Oleg and Co.
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you say "what bugs?"

Have you tried using the campaigns with boontybox still installed and using the 4.05 exe's.

Try it and then tell me there is no bugs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:
For those that don't pay for this game fail to recognize that this in turn will have a negative impact on future flight sims. I for one would like to see another flight sim in 5 years from now, but if you keep stealing the money from the creator of the game, you are only hurting yourself if you like flight sims.

We've had many free patches with addon material, for 1C to ask for a measly $18 USD purchase is nothing for all that has been given for free.

You want to fault Ubi - fine, but please realize that stealing this game hurts the development of future flight sims from 1C.

There is no justification to stealing this game, 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Agree 100%, but...

why does Ubi villianize itself by not making the purchase and install of this add-on painless, unobtrusive and no subject to suspect add-on software routines? If this were a "simple download", with no privacy/invasion issues, I'd have no problem handing over my $20 or whatever if I want the Peshka.

Let's not change the real subject. This is less about piracy than it is about a total lack of respect being shown consumers with regards to their right to privacy on their PC against datamining, and perhaps more insidious things than that.

Waldo.Pepper
04-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Imagine what Ubi may do to BOB unless we stop it now.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:

Stigler, I'm not insulting you. I just want you banned. If there was a "Stigler Mute Button" that could be integrated into the forum interface, I'd be quite happy with that.

I mean, I consider it an invasion of my privacy and a violation of my rights as a Ubi customer that I am forced to even risk accidently reading your posts.

Where in the EULA or website privacy policy does it say that by using Ubi services I give up my right not to be assaulted, violated and, dare I say, RAPED with Stigler-Spam?

You've long since made it clear that you reap great pleasure from every failure of the series, so I just don't see the point of nice people like Ivan indulging you long term. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davis, you have that right right now. It's called "Don't read my posts".

What you "consider" above is idiodic and moronic, and is only sensible in your fevered little mind. Sorry if you don't like it, but tough. I've got as much right to an opinion as you. Perhaps if you had the ability to merely express yours more cogently and intelligently, you might blow my arguments right out of the water.

Maybe that's the source of your frustration, that you just can't?

Targ
04-30-2006, 05:39 PM
ok, enough.
How the heck do you know stiglr as you have not even bought the dang thing?
You are just paroting other mis informed people.
How does boontybox data mine peoples computers? What "other" insidious things does it do? Please be specific, please read the boontybox Eula as well. I posted a copy of it up a few post.

Toten_Waffe
04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Quote "how does boontybox data mine peoples computers"

Well im sorry Targ to say this but.....before I started using the 4.04m exes Boontybox was running in the background when I played using the Pe-2 addon. When I then opend up the Boontybox program it told me that id played the game for 'x' amount of hours and the last time I used it was 'x' hours ago. So you are now telling me that this information was not 'mined' from my computer and then sent elswhere while I still had Boonty installed?

If so why does Boonty need to run in the background while you play IL2 in the first place?

It all comes down to the fact.....

Why were not told that Boonty would be installed before we paid?

LEXX_Luthor
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Oleg did not want Boony Box either.

JG52Uther
04-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Oleg did not want Boony Box either.

Well its a PR disaster for him I think, and it does not bode well for the future unless they can sort it out.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Targ,

I don't know for a fact, as I have not bought the thing (and won't until I am sure), and I have stated that, too. Also, I'm not a software engineer, either, and don't feel I should NEED TO BE to ameliorate the very real risk this "product" has to be less than above board.

But, the mere suspicion that this could be the case is enough for many to hold off on the purchase.

AND, I might add, to come to a forum such as this one and debate the risks, the merits, the corporate disrespect and arrogance at having fitted the BB software to a add-on in the first place....

The more you mods scramble around trying to squash this, the more beholden you look and the less objective, I might add. (By the way, is the Moooooo! under my avatar yours? You might make yourself useful by using your mod powers to find out which one of you it was; I'm the guy who supposedly controls the account and even I can't edit it)

Whatever the truth is in this matter, it's bound to come out in the wash; er, unless you guys enact a policy to simply padlock all the threads and totally stamp out all traces of the discussion.

The EULA, from what snippets I've seen, does NOT rule out any of the behavior we are leery of. Typical of a lawyerese spew, it's full of caveats: "coulds" and "mights" and "not exclusives" that end up saying nothing, and obscuring the true intention of the communication, let alone the product it's attached to. I haven't seen ANY rationale from Ubi for the mere necessity of the program, either. That's the 64,000 dollar question, isn't it? WHY WAS IT ATTACHED TO THE DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL PROCESS IN THE FIRST PLACE when the sim has been based on install routines AND copy protection routines on the CDs that didn't have any datamining stuff on it?

That's why we're all here discussing this. It's RELEVANT. It's IMPORTANT. And there are some very big issues of PRINCIPLE at stake, as well.

I suspect all you mods know that to be true, and that's why, despite every urge in your mouse index fingers, you haven't just put the "padlock smackdown" on the whole affair.

Just read the two posts that appeared above this one as I wrote it: no, this BB things still stinks.

sabotshooter88
04-30-2006, 06:05 PM
If Ivan and Targ did more moderating that slamming we could probably get this all worked out.

Thanks guys.

KC

Targ
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Toten_Waffe:
Quote "how does boontybox data mine peoples computers"

Well im sorry Targ to say this but.....before I started using the 4.04m exes Boontybox was running in the background when I played using the Pe-2 addon. When I then opend up the Boontybox program it told me that id played the game for 'x' amount of hours and the last time I used it was 'x' hours ago. So you are now telling me that this information was not 'mined' from my computer and then sent elswhere while I still had Boonty installed?

If so why does Boonty need to run in the background while you play IL2 in the first place?

It all comes down to the fact.....

Why were not told that Boonty would be installed before we paid?

Yes., I am telling you that information was not mined and sent elseware, boontybox considers this a feature. Plus you have the option of turning all of that off.
SturmoLog also keeps track of how long you have played the game and the last time you used it, What does that mean?

Taylortony
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Sorry Ivan but NO, I will not buy software downloaded off the web as One.... I do not possess the CD to reinstall if I reboot my Hard drive at anytime and Two.... I will not buy software with built in Spyware..............

I will not, mind you, download illegal copies of it either, so I will wait until I can get a clean version on CD legitimately or simply keep my wallet in my pocket and play the pre PE2 version

This will go for any additional updates released as well......... If it hurts Maddox sales and jeopardises future releases of that I am truly sorry, I love and as you know have actively supported this game with my skins etc....... but I will not compromise my integrity nor allow spyware to inflict itself upon myself and my PC so UBISOFT can make a quick buck.......

The sad thing is this download has a very very narrow market, which is more or less the fan base you find online... those sitting at home playing offline may well not know of its existance and as seeing it is a very minor update ( as in small amount of new planes etc) will probably not outlay the quite large amount of cash to buy it for what it contains... remember we have had free patches containing a significant amount of more free planes before....................

This will not bode well for the future releases... as I am afraid now a cracked version as you state appears to be on the web, persons worried about the issues with Bonty bollox may well decide for the first time to for want of a better word, to steal the add on so that they can remain current for future add ons and that is sadly a serious state of affairs................ If UBI could have handled the release of this more badly I fail to see how..... Not only have they split the community over this, they have by adding Spyware lost potential sales and have driven some of those that would have purchased the add on to steal it............... myself as I said I will wait or do without............

No.. "Do the right thing people" will change this, perhaps you should be directing your plea to UBISOFT.

GR142-Pipper
04-30-2006, 06:10 PM
The "right thing to do" is for Ubi to extract BoontyBox from the download/install process, issue the community an APOLOGY for their affrontery, take a "hands off" stance toward any information on my hard drive and let me just buy a clean install of the mod. Period. Point blank. End of story. Stop the corporate/marketing bullsh*t and this whole thing blows over. The right thing (and the easy thing too, btw) is to simply issue an unlock code. That's the only thing that need be purchased. This code would only work once. This way people could download the software, install their unique unlock code, and then commence playing.

I sure wish you'd stop trying to deflect blame and responsbility on this issue to the users. We didn't start this. And as far as responsibility goes, we ARE being responsible for protecting our interests; that's why we're exposing this boondoggle for what it is. Honestly, Stig, he's not making the users the bad guys. He's simply asking everyone to be mindful of the limited number of people in this community and not be a thief. It's not an unreasonable request. The request that I would like to ask Ubisoft in return is for them not to be stupid. This Boonty Box contraption is just that. Lose it.

GR142-Pipper

Taylortony
04-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Targ:
ok, enough.
How does boontybox data mine peoples computers? What "other" insidious things does it do? Please be specific, please read the boontybox Eula as well. I posted a copy of it up a few post.

you read an abridge version i would suggest you actually read a few of the posts and read the full version about what they mine see

http://www.boontybox.com/howitworks.php?intMode=5&intIdSite=94

as mining goes Jet Set Willie would be proud of them

Targ
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sabotshooter88:
If Ivan and Targ did more moderating that slamming we could probably get this all worked out.

Thanks guys.

KC

Lol, it has all ready been sorted out KC. Keep up if you can!
What has not been sorted out is the hystaria and the FuD that continues to be spread around. Heck I even hosted the older il2.exe files (still up) and the fixed .mis files (still up as well) and where to place it.

Taylortony
04-30-2006, 06:24 PM

What has not been sorted out is the hystaria and the FuD that continues to be spread around. Heck I even hosted the older il2.exe files (still up) and the fixed .mis files (still up as well) and where to place it.

Yeah right, will wait and see if it fixes this fiasco in the long run when add ons come out...................

Targ
04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Targ:
ok, enough.

you read an abridge version i would suggest you actually read a few of the posts and read the full version about what they mine see

as mining goes Jet Set Willie would be proud of them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true, that is the full and complete Eula from the install. Install boontybox and at the Eula prompt copy and paste it into a text file.

Taylortony
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
but by using bonty box you are agreeing by their terms in full

Your Consent To This Privacy Policy.
By using this Software / Site, you agree to this Privacy Policy. This is our entire and exclusive Privacy Policy and it supersedes any earlier version. Our Terms of Use take precedence over any conflicting Privacy Policy provision. We may change this Privacy Policy by posting a new version of this Privacy Policy on this Software / Site, which it is your responsibility to review.

and you are using their software and their terms take precedence over what you may believe you are using.....period.. That drivel and piffle you are quoting isn't worth the data stream it is written on

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Why are you guys twisting nature of this thread, all i asked for is to pay for the product, no matter how you got it. Pay the dues, that`s all. If you not intending to buy it (That`s for you Stigler) simply stay away from this discussion.

georgeo76
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
I think people are confusing Ivan's post for a plea to buy the add-on. His plea is really not to steal the add-on. But I'm not surprised that people 'offended' by the dishonest nature of the BB software would then proceed to steal it all the wile using BB as an excuse.

I'm glad that Stigler has such high standards about endless speculation and debate. But you curse your darkness types might be surprised who works behind the scenes to light a candle. Why you only need read some of Luther's posts to see what actual contribution is.

I agree with Stigler about one thing. I think a wait and see approach is the wisest. The real difference is that I think BB is harmless until I'm shone otherwise while he comes from the opposite direction.

I understand why some are put off by the viral nature of BB, but all of the behaviors have benign explanations too. I made that argument here (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=144;t=004642)

Taylortony
04-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I think people are confusing Ivan's post for a plea to buy the add-on. His plea is really not to steal the add-on.

Of which i whole heartily agreed with and have STATED IT IN THIS THREAD........what i dont is this insinuation that the Eula that it comes with is the gospel according to everyone it aint......... the real one takes presedence over that regardless of what Targ would have you all believe....... hecks its even written into the main one

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Why are you guys twisting nature of this thread, all i asked for is to pay for the product, no matter how you got it. Pay the dues, that`s all. If you not intending to buy it (That`s for you Stigler) simply stay away from this discussion.

Oh, so now you presume to know whether or when I might be intending to buy the upgrade, huh? And my "permission" to discuss it hinges on that? How special. You know what to do with that idea...

Well, just so you can be comfortable knowing for sure, I'll probably pony up for it when UBI gets rid of the BoontyBox. As I've stated in a couple of posts. Pretty simple.

And while you're on here controlling my conduct on this forum, how about you control your MODS and do something about the "Mooooo" under my avatar?

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, so now you presume to know whether or when I might be intending to buy the upgrade, huh? And my "permission" to discuss it hinges on that? How special. You know what to do with that idea...

Well, just so you can be comfortable knowing for sure, I'll probably pony up for it when UBI gets rid of the BoontyBox. As I've stated in a couple of posts. Pretty simple.

And while you're on here controlling my conduct on this forum, how about you control your MODS and do something about the "Mooooo" under my avatar?

First of all i did not put your Mooo in there, so you ask around about that one...second of all, you made it pretty clear:

Hmmm...

Shall I go "get in line" to download a software that I pay for that installs all kinds of insidious spyware (and possibly worse) on my PC?

I think not. No Petlyakov was ever worth that.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 07:30 PM

First of all i did not put your Mooo in there, so you ask around about that one...

Yeah, but you can fix it. You did it last time.

Question: why should the onus be on ME to PM and poll all your MODS (I don't presume to know who all of them are, to tell ya the truth), knowing nobody will own up? It's simpler to just get one of you to fix it. And perhaps nobler to publicly apologize on behalf of the whole crew for pulling such a sophomoric stunt, not once, but THREE times now, and forswearing such blatant abuse of mod priveleges in the future.

Once again, it's principle, something I'm finding some people just don't seem to understand around here.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
...and second of all, that is ONE post, out of context with others I've made that just as clearly state that, minus the Boonty Box, I might have been one of the first in line to buy the add-on...and may in the future if and when BB is removed.

zoinks_
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM

Oblivion has copy protection, if you look in the teck support forums and do a search for bethsec.dll or mod install probelms and you will see that there are tons of people having trouble with the copy protection.

i just quickly looked and you are right. it looks like paying customers are having some problems running the game after downloading plug-ins/mods or something. i'll look into this more. thanks for pointing this out.

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 07:35 PM
...and second of all, that is ONE post, out of context with others I've made that just as clearly state that, minus the Boonty Box, I might have been one of the first in line to buy the add-on...and may in the future if and when BB is removed.

Fair enough.

willyvic
04-30-2006, 07:37 PM

First of all i did not put your Mooo in there, so you ask around about that one...

Do you or do you not have the ability to edit his avatar and text? If so, I believe he is requesting that it be done. NOT an unreasonable request.

WV.

SeaFireLIV
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM

Don`t worry. I`ll either buy it, or not buy it. I won`t steal it.

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by willyvic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:

Do you or do you not have the ability to edit his avatar and text? If so, I believe he is requesting that it be done. NOT an unreasonable request.

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, yes, i do your honor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

AKA_TAGERT
04-30-2006, 07:43 PM

You can buy a license from here (http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=386&id=97) If you buy a license and then choose not to download the game from UBI, that's your business. This community is way to small to allow dishonesty. Agreed 100%

willyvic
04-30-2006, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyvic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, yes, i do your honor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry bro, just hits me wrong. All this pissin' in each others wheaties.

WV.

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Don`t worry. I`ll either buy it, or not buy it. I won`t steal it.

What made you think that i am worried that you, personally, will steal it.... eh SeaFireLIV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Old_Canuck
04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ochi:
I don't know what the problem with boontybox is. I installed, downloaded, ran, everything ok. I was gonna delete boontybox but thought, i'll just need it for the next patch. On the boontybox window is a configuration tab. I clicked on it and it allowed me to turn off all automatic updates, scans ect. Not a peep out of it, my spyware, antivirus, firewall would freak out if it tried anything. So i'm cool with it, no problem with me.

ochi, this is the most encouraging post I've seen yet. If it's possible to switch off auto updates, etc. and let the firewall monitor it I just might download it. Is it on an English server somewhere?

WWMaxGunz
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
If you obtain a copy of Pe2, pay for it. That's all I ask. If you care about this community and the games developers, you will buy a license. If you enjoy this software w/o paying for it, your a thief. It`s that simple.

I am in thorough agreement Ivan. I remember how things looked with the flight sims cancelled
from 1998 to 2001 and talk of very few sims in the future and less good while MS fulfilled
their end of that and was looking to dominate flight sims.

Every sale counts, will they keep count of both sales and registrations? You know contracts,
if 1C gets paid by the registered copies then a sale alone won't cut it.

Even more is will the next addon install onto 4.05 that has not been through Boonty? Since
that is also the protection would not the next addon require something it has or does?

Last is the Boonty "don't-do" W98. How many sales and future sales will that cost? Not
forever but now, when the sales count most. Oleg should have words, this is not his doing
yet there is this loss.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
04-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ochi:

ochi, this is the most encouraging post I've seen yet. If it's possible to switch off auto updates, etc. and let the firewall monitor it I just might download it. Is it on an English server somewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=386&id=97

I uninstalled BoontyBox from the start menu (having backed up the Pe2 installer first) no problems to report so far. Two missing mission files easily rectified. Hope it helps.

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I hope we won't have to go through this again?

crazyivan1970
04-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Ivan. I hope we won't have to go through this again?

That i cannot promise http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 09:17 PM
sorry, but I have to ask...

If you mods can't police yourselves for conduct, how can you be trusted to control the forums?

I don't even have to go to my usual hyperbole to make a real apropos point of this, do I?

I mean, if I somehow gained the power to edit a post or an account of one of my "rivals" on this forum, for a laugh, or for more sinister purposes, you'd suspend me, or worse, in a heartbeat. And you'd be well within your rights to do so. It's not funny, it's actually quite serious.

I'm afraid, just for principle's sake (there's that word again), I'm going to have to call ALL the mods on the carpet and see, who among you will make a pledge NOT to edit users' avatar descriptors without their consent and knowledge.

Anybody willing to man up?

AKA_TAGERT
04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
sorry, but I have to ask...

If you mods can't police yourselves for conduct, how can you be trusted to control the forums?

I don't even have to go to my usual hyperbole to make a real apropos point of this, do I?

I mean, if I somehow gained the power to edit a post or an account of one of my "rivals" on this forum, for a laugh, or for more sinister purposes, you'd suspend me, or worse, in a heartbeat. And you'd be well within your rights to do so. It's not funny, it's actually quite serious.

I'm afraid, just for principle's sake (there's that word again), I'm going to have to call ALL the mods on the carpet and see, who among you will make a pledge NOT to edit users' avatar descriptors without their consent and knowledge.

Anybody willing to man up? Poor Stigie

A.K.Davis
04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:

Your Consent To This Privacy Policy.
By using this Software / Site, you agree to this Privacy Policy. This is our entire and exclusive Privacy Policy and it supersedes any earlier version. Our Terms of Use take precedence over any conflicting Privacy Policy provision. We may change this Privacy Policy by posting a new version of this Privacy Policy on this Software / Site, which it is your responsibility to review.

and you are using their software and their terms take precedence over what you may believe you are using.....period.. That drivel and piffle you are quoting isn't worth the data stream it is written on

That is not true! That is a website privacy policy. It is not the terms for the particular engagement entered into between us, Ubi and Boontybox. Please stop spreading this around telling people it is a description of what the Boontybox program used for the Pe-2 Add-on does or will do. For this situation, only the EULA is relevant.

Here, for example, is Charter's "privacy policy":

Personally identifiable information - Personally identifiable information necessary to provide services includes Your name; address; telephone numbers; e-mail addresses; social security number; driver€s license number; bank account number; credit card number; billing records; service records; payment and deposit history; customer correspondence; and the services You subscribe to and use. Charter also collects technical information about Your computer hardware and software, cable modem and/or other cable service or Internet service related devices, and customer-provided customization settings and preferences. By using Charter€s Internet service, Customer consents to our collection of this information and other information communicated to Charter such as e-mails, responses to surveys or e-mails, information provided in chat sessions with us, registration for information, or participation in promotions or contests. In addition, if You rent Your residence, we may have a record of whether landlord permission was required prior to installation of our cable facilities and Your landlord€s name and address. Charter may also collect additional personally identifiable information from third parties to enhance our customer database, and Charter may maintain research records containing information obtained through other voluntary subscriber interviews or surveys.

And here is SBC's:

Information we collect and use

SBC collects and uses customer information such as name, address, and telephone number. We may combine customer information with personal information -- billing, payment, and transaction information (including credit card numbers, account numbers, and/or social security numbers) as well as demographic information.
We may use personal information to monitor our customers' quality of service and/or to provide products and services.
We also use personal information to market and sell SBC-offered products and services.
We collect email addresses from customers to provide purchase confirmation and product/service information. We also obtain customer email addresses from third parties in order to complete a customer profile. Email addresses may be used for marketing SBC-offered products and services.

All companies that engage in internet commerce have these policies. It is meant to "cover their butts," especially from frivolous lawsuits. Much like signing a waiver before you partake in an even remotely dangerous activity, that waiver does not mean you are actually going to die, nor would it protect the company if they engaged in illegal, malicious or negligent behaviour. The broad and inclusive language would protect them only against trivial accusations. THESE STATEMENTS ARE GENERALLY NOT CONSIDERED LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACTS IN COURTS OF LAW (at least not last time I checked).

You cannot use this website privacy policy as evidence of what the program you downloaded from Ubi does or will do. Nor should it raise your suspicion beyond the level it shoudl be at the second you choose to partake in ANY internet activities.

Targ
04-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I have tried to explain this to him several times.
He wont hear it as his mind is all ready made up that boontybox is spyware/malware.
No anount of reason or proof will convince him otherwise.
I posted a link to the dang Eula and everything but nooo, not good enough.
Face it, some people dont get it and never will.

georgeo76
04-30-2006, 09:44 PM
What is this 'logic' argument your trying to use with all your so called facts? TT isn't about the facts, he feels the truth.

http://alienintelligencer.com/images/colbert.jpg

That is not true! That is a website privacy policy. It is not the terms for the particular engagement entered into between us, Ubi and Boontybox. Please stop spreading this around telling people it is a description of what the Boontybox program used for the Pe-2 Add-on does or will do. For this situation, only the EULA is relevant.

Targ
04-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Dang I forgot something..
Stigler, I will never promise to not give someone a custom member tilte without there knowledge.
Look around, you think crash asked for "I put the M in stupid" NO!
How about slo_1_2_3 "wheels on the bus go round and round" NO WAY JOSE!
He is but a young 16 year old but wears his custom member title LIKE A MAN and with pride!
HOOORAH!!!!
Title Bandit we love you!
(whom ever you may be)

ps I think it's RBJ, he is a mod you know or at least some think he is a mod http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A.K.Davis
04-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I request that whoever burdened community members (also herein known as "the body of perpetual victims") with the member titles "Ubi moderator" be immediatly punished. What an unfair and selfish act to chain and oppress some unfortunate with that title. The injustice of it inflames my hemorrhoids (or righteous sensibilities? I confuse them sometimes.), as it should the entire body of perpetual victims.*

* By reading the above statement you agree that the terms of punishment shall be self-flaggellation with the nearest convenient quadropedal animal.

Targ
04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Mine used to say "voted worst mod"

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

snif, I loved that title.

La7_brook
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM

You can buy a license from here (http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=386&id=97) If you buy a license and then choose not to download the game from UBI, that's your business. This community is way to small to allow dishonesty. c card thing is not good not all have them and what about all off liners ,ubi ones so that was 95% of sales were from them / give us cold hard CD,s http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

AKA_TAGERT
04-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Just warms my hart to see everyone comming up to speed on something only a few of us cared enough to know about Stigie.. Beter late than never.

Bearcat99
04-30-2006, 10:43 PM
My problem was I had to go all around Dicks Hatband to get the d@mn thing. The UBI store wouldnt take any of my cards.... not a one.... having to go through a 3rd party and all that is a lot of unnecessary legwork... legwork that could have been avoided if UBI just made the thing easier to buy. Even the Boonty box is not really a problem if there is a workaround... a hassle? Sure.... but nothing insurmountable.

However, for my credit card... which is the same one I used ....after two days of trying to use UBI for PayPal.... with not a problem is not accepted by the UBI store.... which is exactly what happened to me.... then UBI needs to correct that problem as I can't be the only one that happened to. I shouldn't have to go all over creation... and even consider sending checks and cr@p when this is the 21st century... and I dont live in some backwoods copper wire wilderness where my next neighbor is 10 miles away.. I am 20 miles out of Washington DC....

Why UBI couldn't just at least sell the d@mn thing on the US site as well.... (I dont know if that was the problem... maybe my bank couldnt do pounds or Euros.... I dont know.... ) is totally beyond me... and a real stupid move if you ask me. It isnt like it would have broken the bank to set up the space.... or at the very least since HELLLOOOOO this is an international community.... set up the system so that it will take multile denominations.... well... dollars anyway... and I dont know if that per se was my problem. I know that my card was good.... still is... as I said I used it for PayPal today.. went through fine...

I have never been one to accept a free ride.... I have always prefered to pay my own way.... After the debacle that went on with PF you would think these idiots would come up with a easier, more accessable way to do this. It almost seems that they just either could care less about this series.... or this community... To release a product for online sale... and not put it on every site that you have .... and to make it hard to buy... and to release it on a Friday... with no backup plan to cover problems.....and any fool knows there are always problems with stuff like this is asking for trouble.. and a lot of this could have been avoided if UBI had just learned a lesson from PF... but they turned around and did the exact same thing.... only this time they did it over the internet. There is no reason why if I am going to pay for a product I should have to do any calculations other than how many I am going to buy and adding up the numbers on the screen (shipping where applicable etc...) so I know how much I am spending. I shouldn't have to do any conversions... no guessing... and certainly no translating..... The Boonty box is a side issue AFAIC... make the darn thing accessable.. and easy to buy and you will have less of the stuff you are talking about Ivan. And I am not saying for you to do that.... I realize you may have an inside track as far as information from 1C goes... but as far as UBI policy.. you are in the same boat as the rest of us. I shouldn't have had to wait 2 almost 3 days and go through two other people to get something that was available to me the same day it was released...... but unattainable because the distribution system was FUBAR.

I sure as all get out hope the next addons are done better...

I agree with you though Ivan....

Stigler_9_JG52
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, Targ, at least I can say this:

You're "man enough" to admit that resorting to such craven trickery as editing a community member's avatar label without his or her consent or desire is NOT beneath you.

Personally, I'd figure only an idiot would own up to that, as it doesn't take long to see the inherent abuse of power in that... not to mention the fact that you're misrepresenting people "for grins and giggles". and of course, the fact that you can easily do this from behind your "badge" while other rank and file forum members can't.... gets more dispicable the more you think about it.

Guess you might as well admit it was YOU. But then, you wouldn't have been the ONLY one to have done that....

Man, every trip to this forum exposes some new low... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Maple_Tiger
04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Buy the addon damt. If you don't, I'll poor maple syrup all over anyone who doesn't.

Targ
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
I only hand them ou to people whom I think would be cool about it and get a good laugh over it.
Most keep them as a badge off honor, a very select few seem to not like it and ask to have them removed.
Relax and loosen the tie there stigie babe. Someone payed you the highest compliment this forum has to offer and you flatly rejected it.
No biggie, well to you it is but such is life.

EDIT:
Dang, Mr. Butterworth beat me to the first post cherry!
Thats it you are getting a custom title!.. oh wait.

georgeo76
04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/georgeo76/Oppressed.gif

It's the violence inherent in the system....be sure.

MOH_Hirth
05-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Brothers
Is very important suport Oleg and Team NOW, not only Pe-2 is a great addon but show auor gratitude for a lot free pachts he give us and garantee investment in the next work(BOB and pachts).
Image we all get and dont paid who work hard and well, Result: no good games in future.
Thath software is a figth to make the games a
possible and viable job. THINK ABOUT!

LEBillfish
05-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Thieves have their purpose......

You see, if someone is a thief as it is often said, they are most likely a liar. More so, they are cowards afraid to be forthright, and obviously lazy taking the easy way out.

There is a reason they say "he's a liar and a thief"....It goes hand in hand. More so, it clearly shows their lack of intelligence as someone with half a brain would figure out a way to do it honestly.

Yet that's not really their place. You see, their place in this world is to remind me and those like me.......Just how much "better" I am then some others. Now better does not mean having more money, or status, or power and so on....It means that I am a superior person in that I take the higher road, and if I cannot have that which I want, I do without retaining my pride.

Now many when young believe being "a badboy" is cool, or independent or wild........In truth it is quite the opposite, and I can tell you for a FACT the real bad boys I mean really bad, scary dangerous types, base their actions on a code of honor so perform those bad actions with absolute pride..........Thieves don't, so they're not bad boys, just pathetic and petty.

There is NEVER an excuse......In fact without going into detail I can tell you for a FACT....Any that can be here reading this are not suffering, lacking or poor....If you believe so you have absolutely NO concept of what poor is.

SO their place like the player on HL "Wolf" (won't say his squadron as the nick might have been bogus) who wanted a free copy and "proudly" stated he was a thief.....Thank you. As it's nice to hear every day that I'm not the bottom of the ladder, others, sadly many, well below me......I their better.

There is never an excuse as in the end like many young men in Jamaica show daily, in the end all you have is your name and your actions determine its weight........

Think this is all bluff and bluster?....Guess again, as I'll ALWAYS know I'm "better" then a thief.....Don't believe me?...Ask me, I'll be glad to talk down to you if one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
05-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Does the russian CD work with an English language install ?

NAFP_supah
05-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Well I did the right thing and paid for it, now I'd have liked to be able to play it but apparently I manually need to edit my registery ..... doesn't that sound like a tad bit user unfriendly ? :S UBI pulled a pretty stupid prank on maddox games by using this boontybox POS. I understand the need for copy protection but this is just driving customers away.

willyvic
05-01-2006, 12:55 AM
What is this 'logic' argument your trying to use with all your so called facts? TT isn't about the facts, he feels the truth.

http://alienintelligencer.com/images/colbert.jpg

Ah, somebody has been watching sixty minutes tonight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WV.

AKA_TAGERT
05-01-2006, 01:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/georgeo76/Oppressed.gif

It's the violence inherent in the system....be sure. OMG! Classic Monty! Nice!

Gumtree
05-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Down here in good old Oz,we must buy the d/l from the Uk, I suppose its the same for all english speakers.
What my gripe is ,that when I try and convert good old South Pacific Peso's to Sterling I get shafted, then I get charged a foreign currency fee by my bank for the privelege of buy this add on ...all up I pay not much less than the price of AEP.........and what do I get?

I get one plane in various models and some new ground targets !!

Now I know my memory isnt great ..but I do beleive for a few bucks more AEP had alot more to offer.ANd a hard copy without the attached instalation hassels of this patch.

This patch has cost alot for not much substance in my opinion.

Whilst I dont like to see people rape the producers of our games by ripping them from the net thus discouraging these same programmers from spending their time trying to make a living making these great games we all love and share our pastime playing.....I also feel that we are being taken for a ride with these paid add ons.

This is just my opinion and hopefully will not offend any readers here.

AWL_Spinner
05-01-2006, 02:00 AM
then I get charged a foreign currency fee by my bank for the privelege of buy this add on

If you really get charged a foreign currency fee just for using your card against Sterling or Euros or whatever that's pretty lousy!

I can understand if you're drawing foreign cash, most banks charge for that, but every credit/debit card provider I know doesn't charge extra for online transactions against foreign currency. They just make their money off a slightly more unfavourable exchange rate, there are no extra fees to contend with!

I used my UK cards all round Oz without any unwanted "extras"! Maybe you just have unscrupulous banks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Understand what you're saying about the content vs AEP, but again, just compare to MS Flightsim payware. Three times that cost for one aircraft?

Overall cost per hour for this game series is the best value entertainment I've ever purchased - can't be bothered to work it out but it's going to be something like 0.000000001 pence an hour, over the years http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gumtree
05-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Hmmm true true,

I have paid lots of South Pacific Peso's for this game series but I must admit ,if I was to break it down to pesos /hour virtual flying it would be negligable.

The_Gog
05-01-2006, 03:16 AM

This community is way to small to allow dishonesty.

Ummm...Pot, this is Kettle!

NerdConnected
05-01-2006, 03:47 AM
crazyivan1970,

I fully agree. The price can't be the problem and the addon is well worth the money. The new Pe2/3 looks beautiful.

I really hope the other addon's will be offered at similar prices and also as a download, but with well tested and less intrusive distribution/drm software.

However, I would first have a very serious talk with UBI I were Maddox. Releasing a not properly working BoontyBox at friday (no support from UBI or BoontyBox, no FAQ etc, etc.) that 'corrupts' the current game installation is unacceptable. UBI modifed the executable that caused errors and crashes to the desktop for many of us.

This very likely hurt sales and profits for Maddox and people like you and Luthier had to put in overtime. Worse, Maddox got bad publicity while it's UBI's fault.

Normally not my thing, but I would sue them or ask for compensation before even talking about the next addon.

I can't understand why UBI, one of the biggest distributors, doesn't use a professional DRM/distributing product like e.g. STEAM and rely on such software as BoontyBox which in the end, only hurts existing and potential customers , UBI and Maddox.

The only one that, in the short term, benefitted from this was problably BoontyBox but most of us now associate that name with malware/spyware so it problably didn't do them any good as well.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the Pe-2 addon ;-)

Mark

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by NerdConnected:
crazyivan1970,

I fully agree. The price can't be the problem and the addon is well worth the money. The new Pe2/3 looks beautiful.

I really hope the other addon's will be offered at similar prices and also as a download, but with well tested and less intrusive distribution/drm software.

However, I would first have a very serious talk with UBI I were Maddox. Releasing a not properly working BoontyBox at friday (no support from UBI or BoontyBox, no FAQ etc, etc.) that 'corrupts' the current game installation is unacceptable. UBI modifed the executable that caused errors and crashes to the desktop for many of us.

This very likely hurt sales and profits for Maddox and people like you and Luthier had to put in overtime. Worse, Maddox got bad publicity while it's UBI's fault.

Normally not my thing, but I would sue them or ask for compensation before even talking about the next addon.

I can't understand why UBI, one of the biggest distributors, doesn't use a professional DRM/distributing product like e.g. STEAM and rely on such software as BoontyBox which in the end, only hurts existing and potential customers , UBI and Maddox.

The only one that, in the short term, benefitted from this was problably BoontyBox but most of us now associate that name with malware/spyware so it problably didn't do them any good as well.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the Pe-2 addon ;-)

Mark

Agree 100% http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I would also DEMAND that UBI provide a web page with a description of BoontyBox and why its being installed BEFORE proceeding to the check out when purchasing online.

Steam does this by explaining that you need to download steam software before you can even click the add to basket button.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Did the right thing, but I have to say that for such a so-called small community it does depress the hell out of me to see the willingness with which we are prepared to, with little or no proof cry wolf!

These little hissy fits that are generated each time Maddox treat us to an update, most of which have been free, have become old and boring over the years, and for my part just leave a bad taste in the mouth.

One thing that was common amongst the pilots of ww2 was a certain 'espirit de corps'. A Unity under a mutual idea if you will. It is obviously not a quality that this community deems worthy of simulation.

On a lighter note I am using a micro keyboard right now and it has made me wonder, that if some of you were forced to tie your right hand behind your back and respond only using one hand. Would you actually bother ?

I am not sure that I would, I know of only one forum member who does and that is not by choice.

I have yet to see him make a negative post.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
05-01-2006, 05:19 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

ElAurens
05-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
Did the right thing...

Great post sir.

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/salute.gif

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 05:41 AM
I did the right thing, and bought it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Problem is about UBIsoft though......I have not seen a single piece of critisism directed anywhere near Oleg with the release of this patch.

If you try to compare us virtual pilots with real pilots during WW2......I think that the "espirit de corps" would have become slightly strained if someone had installed a BoontyBox in their aircraft engines that caused them to cut out halfway across the channel with nothing but an obscure error message ringing in their ears as they plummeted towards the ground. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Dr...Watson
05-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Why call it BOONTYBOX or whatever in the 1st place. The name alone makes you think twice.

Well, I logged on, and downloaded, it then said my activation code has been sent to my email. Turns out my email was one I registered with years and years ago. No chance I will be able to get the game going.

9.99 + vat for an aircraft + some bug fixes etc. It's not expensive but if we payed 9.99 for other aircraft that were included in bug fixes then I would have pay hundreds of pounds by now.

I only buy it to keep upto date online, an easy way for them to make money.

Surely the last thing you need is a HUGE installation thread about how to solve all the problems. What a complete mess this whole release is...well done!

msalama
05-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Well I will buy it, eventually, when the dust has settled a bit. But not just yet, having lately flown a virtual Piper Cub instead of anything in IL-2 anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
I did the right thing, and bought it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Problem is about UBIsoft though......I have not seen a single piece of critisism directed anywhere near Oleg with the release of this patch.

I sugest you re-read my post, as you appear to have mis-interperated the context.

My congratulations on your purchase though and I am sorry to hear you have had problems.

Mine, was thankfully painless.

This is what I meant by 'espirit de corps'

slo_1_2_3,

I'll buy the addon for you. I have blown 20bux on worse thing in the past. Why not send it to a young guy with a passion for this game which you most definatly have. Just go here, www.war-clouds.com/forums (http://www.war-clouds.com/forums) and sign up. Send me a PM there and we will work out the details. My username there is sparx.

SPaRX

its nice to have some one prove me wrong http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toten_Waffe:

I sugest you re-read my post, as you appear to have mis-interperated the context.

My congratulations on your purchase though and I am sorry to hear you have had problems.

Mine, was thankfully painless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully understand the context of your post and dont think I disagree with anything you wrote.

My whine has nothing to do about being ungratefull in anyway.....and I do agree with your oppinion on the patch dramas of the past are usually way over the top. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

In no way at all do I regret having bought the Pe-2 addon either.

My issue still resides with UBI about being uninformed about Boonty before splashing the cash not with anything to do with the game itself. I still would have bought it anyway.

I just used your "espirit de corps" analygy as an example http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

At the end of the day its the love of the sim that is the reason we are all here.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-01-2006, 06:26 AM

At the end of the day its the love of the sim that is the reason we are all here.

Agreed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Crash_Moses
05-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
My problem was I had to go all around Dicks Hatband to get the d@mn thing. The UBI store wouldnt take any of my cards.... not a one.... having to go through a 3rd party and all that is a lot of unnecessary legwork... legwork that could have been avoided if UBI just made the thing easier to buy. Even the Boonty box is not really a problem if there is a workaround... a hassle? Sure.... but nothing insurmountable.

However, for my credit card... which is the same one I used ....after two days of trying to use UBI for PayPal.... with not a problem is not accepted by the UBI store.... which is exactly what happened to me.... then UBI needs to correct that problem as I can't be the only one that happened to. I shouldn't have to go all over creation... and even consider sending checks and cr@p when this is the 21st century... and I dont live in some backwoods copper wire wilderness where my next neighbor is 10 miles away.. I am 20 miles out of Washington DC....

Why UBI couldn't just at least sell the d@mn thing on the US site as well.... (I dont know if that was the problem... maybe my bank couldnt do pounds or Euros.... I dont know.... ) is totally beyond me... and a real stupid move if you ask me. It isnt like it would have broken the bank to set up the space.... or at the very least since HELLLOOOOO this is an international community.... set up the system so that it will take multile denominations.... well... dollars anyway... and I dont know if that per se was my problem. I know that my card was good.... still is... as I said I used it for PayPal today.. went through fine...

I have never been one to accept a free ride.... I have always prefered to pay my own way.... After the debacle that went on with PF you would think these idiots would come up with a easier, more accessable way to do this. It almost seems that they just either could care less about this series.... or this community... To release a product for online sale... and not put it on every site that you have .... and to make it hard to buy... and to release it on a Friday... with no backup plan to cover problems.....and any fool knows there are always problems with stuff like this is asking for trouble.. and a lot of this could have been avoided if UBI had just learned a lesson from PF... but they turned around and did the exact same thing.... only this time they did it over the internet. There is no reason why if I am going to pay for a product I should have to do any calculations other than how many I am going to buy and adding up the numbers on the screen (shipping where applicable etc...) so I know how much I am spending. I shouldn't have to do any conversions... no guessing... and certainly no translating..... The Boonty box is a side issue AFAIC... make the darn thing accessable.. and easy to buy and you will have less of the stuff you are talking about Ivan. And I am not saying for you to do that.... I realize you may have an inside track as far as information from 1C goes... but as far as UBI policy.. you are in the same boat as the rest of us. I shouldn't have had to wait 2 almost 3 days and go through two other people to get something that was available to me the same day it was released...... but unattainable because the distribution system was FUBAR.

I sure as all get out hope the next addons are done better...

I agree with you though Ivan....

I have the same problem BearCat. If you're using Visa I think it has something to do with the Verisign fraud protection feature. Problem is, if you didn't get your card from Visa you have to have your bank activate it for you. Otherwise you can activate it from Visa's website.

Where did you end up getting it from? I've found it on the BoontyBox website so I'm gonna try that from work after-hours. Regardless, I'm going to get it and I'm going to pay for it so no worries there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stig, what's wrong with "Moooo"? Just out of curiosity. Heck, I'll take it if you don't want it (my little boy loves cows). It's not like they gave you "I'm a big butt head" or "I can't fly BFM so I post all day" or something like that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Unpucker, life's too short!!

S!

dieg777
05-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I have bought it - have registration number and conformation e-mails but bootybox POS will not run - I extract it sucessfully and run and pick language and NOTHING my pc hangs up . many will know me from community help so if I have to spend over 3 hours trying to get this software to give me a game I have honestly purchased without success then I believe that there are obvious problems.

I bought it out of repsect for Oleg and the developers as a thankyou for all the free patches- PE2 has no interest for me but it was worth while for me to support the team.

I will think hard and fast about downloading future versions if I have to go through the same hassle.

I have e-mailed UBI and await their reply to resolve my issue.

Bearcat99
05-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
Where did you end up getting it from? I've found it on the BoontyBox website so I'm gonna try that from work after-hours. Regardless, I'm going to get it and I'm going to pay for it so no worries there.

Someone got it for me.....

repoman11
05-01-2006, 08:05 AM
I did have a payment problem. My Visa wouldn't work because the Verified By Visa wouldn't accept my information. So I had to use my Mastercard. I don't like to do that, it is an actual credit card, rather than a debit card like my Visa.

With that out of the way, I was annoyed by the Boonty Box business. But it worked with my 28.8 dialup connection to download the entire patch. It even allowed me to pause the download for a number of hours.

Installation and verification went smoothly. I'm now 4.05. I'm not going to uninstall Boonty Box; I just ran MSconfig, and unchecked it. It won't be running on my next reboot, but I can start it up if I should need it for some reason (such as the next patch maybe?).

But this is a bad business. I don't like empty servers. We hardly needed additional hoops for people to jump through in order to take up this sim. This process neeeds to be streamlined, so that we have full servers with all of the same version of the game.

But we have to be willing to pay to offer the developers incentive. And this is really peanuts. I spent about $450.00 upgrading my computer recently, mostly for this sim. Think about what you've spent on hardware, and compare it to what you've actually paid for the game itself.

I actually contemplate moving to be able to get broadband, mostly for this game. The trouble is, I'd have to pay probably $200.00 more a month in rent if I moved. Add the cost of broadband, and you're looking at about $235.00 a month in increased expenses. That's why I probably won't, but I do sometimes think about it; mostly because of how much 28.8 blows for playing this game online.

Bogun
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by repoman11:
...Installation and verification went smoothly. I'm now 4.05. I'm not going to uninstall Boonty Box; I just ran MSconfig, and unchecked it. It won't be running on my next reboot, but I can start it up if I should need it for some reason (such as the next patch maybe?)...

Repo,
Did you notice that even after you stop or uninstall Boontybox - the Boonty Game service will still remain on your PC?

Do you know that even after removing this service it will be reinstalled next time you start IL-2 without telling you anything?

The behavior of this software is beyond disgusting... I will not forgive UBI for installing this **** on my PC. The worst €" some people are blaming Oleg and Maddox Games.

FlatSpinMan
05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
@Dieg - have you had a look in Program Files> BoontyBox for the PE-2.exe? You probably did as I know you know what you are talking about when it comes to PCs. Lord knows you helped me oput in the past. If you go there you should just be able to copy and paste the .exe to desktop or wherever and install it as per usual. Then swap the il2.exe and il2fb.exe files from 4.05 for those from 4.04.

dieg777
05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
@Dieg - have you had a look in Program Files> BoontyBox for the PE-2.exe? You probably did as I know you know what you are talking about when it comes to PCs. Lord knows you helped me oput in the past. If you go there you should just be able to copy and paste the .exe to desktop or wherever and install it as per usual. Then swap the il2.exe and il2fb.exe files from 4.05 for those from 4.04.

thanks for trying to help mate but....
the problem is I cant download anything to install as boontybox hangs as soon as I run it so In stuck - I have tried turning off firewall and have e-mailed requesting info on services that must be running or disabled to get this POS to work - http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Ill keep all informed as to how I get on- I have full copy of all versions of the game and I have installed large downloads like The last Days etc but this has got me beat and slightly PO

AKA_TAGERT
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
My issue still resides with UBI about being uninformed about Boonty before splashing the cash not with anything to do with the game itself. I still would have bought it anyway.
WOW! And I thought I had alot of free time on my hands.

Stigler_9_JG52
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
People, come ON....

This whole thread is a thinly disguised attempt, once again, to change the whole subject and deflect the debate. Standard "get your daily talking points fax from the White House and FOX News" tactics.

This is NOT about "cheating Oleg". VERY few people have come out against the idea of simply paying for an add-on.

This is all about Boonty Box. What it (really) is, why it's (un)necessary, is it safe, and what the h3ll was Ubi thinking by attaching it to the add-on in the first place.

And, to prove that point, why would people even start floating the idea that "it might be OK to purchase a download, but not actually use the Boonty infected product, but find a "shady" install version"?

Boonty is the whole issue here. So, "do the right thing people" and put the focus and the blame squarely where it belongs: UBI.

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Whats your point TAG?

I dont get it......the highlighted part of my quote you used makes perfect sense in the context of the rest of the post.

You clearly do have to much time on your hands then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_Hitcher
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Stigler-

You think it is just a coincidence that this Boonty Box thing came out right after Tony Snow was installed as the Press Secretary at the White House? Come on, Man! This whole debacle was clearly designed by George Bush, **** Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and Halibuton to distract the flight sim community from the current oil and gas prices we are all having to pay. They don't want us to know that they are planning to begin charging us all for the simulated fuels we are using! Boonty Box is being used to calculate our simulated fuel use and then generate a bill from Haliburton charging us market rates for our fuel consumption. I can't believe you haven't figured this conspiricy out yet! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Vigilanty
05-01-2006, 10:23 AM
CrazyIvan is right. Boontybox sucks but if you got it, pay for it.

sabotshooter88
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sabotshooter88:

Thanks guys.

KC

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I€m sorry I€m soooo far behind.
After wading thru 58 topics on PE-2 with over 1700 responses it appears that you are right.
The majority of the community has it figured out.

I€m glad you showed me the errors of my way. I€m still not buying it until UBI€s fingers are out of it and will stick to 4.04m

BueJack
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
You know it is bad marketing practice to make your clients pay 2x for the same product, then give them something they were not expecting. What are they thinking http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

People generally do take exception to this and will work out ways around this. It's generally not that hard as you can see that this BB thingy is in the 'same vein' as SF. It doesn't take a rocket scientest to come up with an alternative clean working anti-BB, and it will be here soon.

This I'm afraid, reeks of 'militant marketing' from UBI who've now come to distrust their own honest clientbase.
If Oleg had his own website where we could buy his products from him, no problem. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Also I want a disk in my hand when I hand over the cash - whether I make a backup of the download or buy from a shop. hint hint!!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

yeaimcalm
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
A free PE-2 add-on - Now were even for being put through all the trouble with this series. Well - almost even.

Capt._Tenneal
05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Got it. Paid for it. Followed all instructions and I'm now enjoying the Pe-2. Thanks to all involved. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AWL_Spinner
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Bought it this morning and installed it without a hitch.

Not because the process, or stripping Boontybox from my system, is transparent and straight-forward as it should be, but because of some excellent work by Luthier and other community members on diagnosing the problems and quickly coming up with solutions.

Be interesting to see what happens with the next two installments.

For now, I'm happy with with my unboontified Pe-2, and am off to learn the bombsight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AKA_TAGERT
05-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Whats your point TAG?

I dont get it......the highlighted part of my quote you used makes perfect sense in the context of the rest of the post.

You clearly do have to much time on your hands then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Point is.. your only upset that you didnt know in *advance* in that you said you would have done it (booty) anyways. So it has nothing to do with booty or what it does or does not do.

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok TAG I see your point now.....apologies if my response sounded a bit short.

Your right, not knowing that Boonty was going to be installed, and also what it does still slighlty annoys me somewhat......but better than whining here I suppose my best course of action would have been to e-mail UBI.

When I said I would have downloaded it any way it is purely due to the fact that there is no other way of obtaining this product at the moment and I like the sim too much to miss out on an addon like this.

I only have and can afford one PC and this fullfills all my gaming, work and college needs. There is alot of valuable information on my PC that I just cant risk losing. I do back up onto Cd's and have a portable hardrive aswell. I also spend a lot of time and money on keeping my anti spyware/ virus protection programmes up and running.....so to buy a game and have a software company install a program on my PC without my consent that resembles spyware in many cases.....that grates abit.

Maybe im just overeacting with a bad case of patch fever and need a lie down. Probably explains the rash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

crazyivan1970
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Maybe im just overeacting with a bad case of patch fever and need a lie down. Probably explains the rash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think alot of people overeacted for the past few days http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Danschnell
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Well I'm now very annoyed that my own thread about the Boonty was locked. I got rediculed without having a chance to reply. Now I'm definately not ever getting PE2, even with a 'clean' version. I wasn't harrassing MG. I only posted exactly what the EULA said, and my opinion that I didn't like it.

I understand Boonty doesn't turn my blood green or rape my dog, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to voice valid concern over a program that looks every bit like spyware. Maybe they aren't mining information from my computer... but the EULA technically means that they COULD if the WANTED TO, and thats an insult. I'm having reservations about what 1000s of legitimate companies actually have done in the past.

And now will come the inevitable "you don't like Boonty because you want to pirate the game" and "you are just being hysterical" etc etc all of which will be untrue and really I just don't care. So long as I know I haven't pirated anything and so long as I know UBI don't have my money I will be perfectly happy.

crazyivan1970
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Talking about overeacting Danshell, someone said something to you on internet forum... want my job for a week? That includes PM by the way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Danschnell
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
CrazyIvan I don't care about it anymore and thats that.

I gave my opinion, and I'm not buying PE2, despite being a huge fan of IL2. I'm not going to make a huge big deal of 'I'm leaving the forums!!!' in the hopes anyone will care or anything sensationalist like that.

All there is to it is... I'm not buying because of the potential risks, and I'm through. Now I will be quiet and let people get on with enjoying the game and the forum. Cya.

AKA_TAGERT
05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok TAG I see your point now.....apologies if my response sounded a bit short.

Your right, not knowing that Boonty was going to be installed, and also what it does still slighlty annoys me somewhat......but better than whining here I suppose my best course of action would have been to e-mail UBI. NP and Agree 100%

Originally posted by Toten_Waffe:When I said I would have downloaded it any way it is purely due to the fact that there is no other way of obtaining this product at the moment and I like the sim too much to miss out on an addon like this. Roger, as would most, problem is most try to come off like they would have stuck to their princables and NOT downloaded it. But, we know that is not the case and that most of this booty revolt has nothing to do with privacy or freedom and has everything to do with too many people with too much free time on their hands and no real challenges in life. I only wish people would get this fired up about real issues in life.

Originally posted by Toten_Waffe:I only have and can afford one PC and this fullfills all my gaming, work and college needs. There is alot of valuable information on my PC that I just cant risk losing. I do back up onto Cd's and have a portable hardrive aswell. I also spend a lot of time and money on keeping my anti spyware/ virus protection programmes up and running.....so to buy a game and have a software company install a program on my PC without my consent that resembles spyware in many cases.....that grates abit. Which is the case for most people.. Glad to see your backing up and taking precautions.. Because anyone that believes their PC is some safe place to keep anyting has bigger issues that booty software.

Originally posted by Toten_Waffe:Maybe im just overeacting with a bad case of patch fever and need a lie down. Probably explains the rash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Not hard to do in this forum.. it is 10% facts and 90% emotions. Take Ol Stigie for example, read one of his post and you would think flight sim software is what makes the world go round.

crazyivan1970
05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Danschnell:
CrazyIvan I don't care about it anymore and thats that.

I gave my opinion, and I'm not buying PE2, despite being a huge fan of IL2. I'm not going to make a huge big deal of 'I'm leaving the forums!!!' in the hopes anyone will care or anything sensationalist like that.

All there is to it is... I'm not buying because of the potential risks, and I'm through. Now I will be quiet and let people get on with enjoying the game and the forum. Cya.

Cya, good luck wherever you go

crazyivan1970
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
Take Ol Stigie for example, read one of his post and you would think flight sim software is what makes the world go round.

Oh boy... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Popey109
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
So, is ubi going to do the right thing and fix the memory crashes and missplaced files? Forget boonty for a moment! the DL is broken! should I pay for a broken DL\addon?...not trying to be a smart ars, but...if these are real problems why would I buy it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

WTE_Galway
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
If i could i would get it and pay for it.

My understanding after wading through a thousand threads is that you only can get it if you install Il2 (even temporarily) on the machine that you use to buy and download the addon.

Sorry but that is not an option for me, my gaming rig and the system I use to go online are seperate and installing Il2 on the online system is simply not possible.

If it were possible to legallyobtain the Russian CD i would do that but that does not seem an option either.

MLudner
05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
I already did it. Did NOT pay twice. Works fine. I had two minor headaches, cured both quickly.

Taylortony
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by A.K.Davis:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taylortony:

[URL=http://www.boontybox.com/howitworks.php?intMode=5&intIdSite=94]http://www.boontybox.com/howitworks.php?intMode=5&intIdSite=94[/URL

I would suggest you revisit the site put your glasses on and read the first part of it... IT DOES RELATE TO BONTY BOX and take Georgeo and Targ along with you.......

I quote the first paragraphs......... I have even highlighted it for you........
BOONTY BOX END USER LICENCE AGREEMENT

Boonty, Inc. ("Boonty") <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">maintains this Software (BoontyBox) </span> and the web site related to the BoontyBox as a convenience to our customers. By accessing, browsing and/or <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">using this software </span> / web site, <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by the following: </span>
A) TERM OF USE
B) PRIVACY POLICY
C) PRODUCT TRIAL AGREEMENT
and to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.

If you do not agree, you should not review information or obtain products or services from this Site/Software and you should not download neither install the BoontyBox..

Targ
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
The Eula for the software you download off the boonty site is different than what you downloaded for the add on.
The only Eula that matters is the one that goes with the software you installed on your computer.
So that privicy policy from that web site has zero to do with the software Eula.
Sorry but you are wrong and I wish you would stop spreading this FuD.

Targ
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Oh, by the way...
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=144&t=004689

steve_v
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry but you are wrong and I wish you would stop spreading this FuD. Me too. Its childish and irresponsible to continue to behave this way. Very disappointing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

RAF92_Moser
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Targ, hate to seem like I'm watching you, but you're sure making your rounds with that link now aren't ya?

Targ
05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Sucks to be all those people who claimed it was spyware/malware right now.
Some will own what they did, some will stick to there guns and most will just slink back into the shadows.

Tator_Totts
05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
The Eula for the software you download off the boonty site is different than what you downloaded for the add on.
The only Eula that matters is the one that goes with the software you installed on your computer.
So that privicy policy from that web site has zero to do with the software Eula.

Excuse my dumbness I am from North Carolina. What is (Fud)? Does this mean ****? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Edit for: Dang can not even say cr@p

Targ
05-01-2006, 07:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD

It is whats been going on around this joint since Friday night.

Toten_Waffe
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah it really sucks to be me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I definitely assumed at frst that it was some sort of devious spy/malware......and to be honest who can blame us when out of the blue a program starts downloading itself onto your PC with no warning and then begins scanning your registary and logging our playing information.

Almost all of this could have been prevented if at some point before checking out when buying PE-2, UBI had provided a small paragraph (less than 50 words)explaining that Boonty would be installed and what it would. Very simple and avoids most of the hysteria. Maybe in your powers as a mod you could suggest this to UBI? Or I can e-mail them tommorow.

Also will the 4.05 exes in the download be fixed to prevent the CTD's? As im sure everyone who buys it is not a regular visitor here.

Thanks for your time.

Tator_Totts
05-01-2006, 07:56 PM

Thanks Targ for the reply. I want to buy the addon not for the material but just to support Oleg for the past material.

Do you think UBI will change the download this week or should I just go ahead and do the download now and do the instructions that have been posted.

Thanks
Mike

Crash_Moses
05-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Tator_Totts:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Targ:

Excuse my dumbness I am from North Carolina. What is (Fud)? Does this mean ****? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Edit for: Dang can not even say cr@p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...I thought it meant, Fouled Up Distribution.

I think I'll join you in a few head wonks, Tator. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Targ
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I doubt that the boontybox copy protection will be removed and if it is than I suspect we will like even less the replacement.
I really dont know though what will happen but I doubt Ubi will release the add on without copy protection and if they changed it would take some time to come up with something else.
The fix for boonty box is very simple if walked through it.
I have all of the files you need for any of the problems you may have.
If you are on win98 boonty will not install at all though.
Hopefully Ubi fixes the sloppy boonty install process, that would be the best thing.
Boonty is completly safe to install, and very easy to remove as well.

Targ
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tator_Totts:

Edit for: Dang can not even say cr@p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...I thought it meant, Fouled Up Distribution.

I think I'll join you in a few head wonks, Tator. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, yeah that is the norm around here is it not?
Ok, it means that as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

sabotshooter88
05-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Tator_Totts:

Thanks Targ for the reply. I want to buy the addon not for the material but just to support Oleg for the past material.

Do you think UBI will change the download this week or should I just go ahead and do the download now and do the instructions that have been posted.

Thanks
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck in finding which post to use...According to Targ it's been figured out a long time ago. It could be post 289, 1509, or 1634. I'm sure one of them will be correct.

Targ
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Please,
there are links all over the place on this board and over at simhq and they are stickied as well.
Since you seem to not be able to find them I will make it even more simple for you.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9691071834

willyvic
05-01-2006, 10:15 PM

Being an old military guy I thought it meant ****** Up Data. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

WV.

crazyivan1970
05-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Being an old military guy I thought it meant ****** Up Data. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Taylortony
05-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Bonty Box the Download Pox

brought on to you by

UBISOFT, soon to be rebranded... PositivelyLimp

Edbert
05-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Just to add my worthless opinions to the list...

I think the relative ease with which PC games are pirated is the cause for such obnoxious CP malware.

UBI has officially stopped using Starforce, BB may be nasty but at least it is not installing itself as a service.

I have tried-before-I-buy many titles via illicit methods. But every (!) game I played more than an hour I have paid for, the irony is that many of them are still in the shrinkwrap since the hacked copies do not require the media and (usually) come malware free. But there have been many times I played a free demo then bought the title only to find it really sucked and I regretted buying it, so I am okay with the ethics of what I do, I probably buy 6-8 titles a year and have done so since the late '80s. I think it rewards those developers and producers who create a quality product and hopefully punishes those who do not.

I just bought the complete DVD edition of IL2 despite owning real copies of all four releases partly for selfish reasons (I wanted to do a clean/complete install without all the swapping/patching, but also because I want to support the hard work of the developers and hope they continue bringing me so much entertainment.

The bottom line is that if BB ruins the Pe2 add-on for you then don't buy it, but if you don;t buy it then don't play it. If it drives you to use a hacked copy and you still play it then buy it and simply don;t install the BB version. But whatever you do do not play it without paying for it. I may be rationalizing here...we all do to one extent or another...but if you play without pay then you are a theif. If you pay for it you should be able to hack it in any way you want despite the EULA, of course you take the risks of any unwanted behavior like corruption and crashing.

Which brings me to my last point...
The PC Game genre (and more specifically the simulators) are in trouble right now. Many new titles are only coming out for consoles simply because they make more money and are easier to develop (they don't have to support 1,000 different video cards for example).It is a slippery slope and a downward spiral. The more folks pirate software the more intrusive the CP stuff will get. The more intrusive the CP stuff gets the more folks will pirate the software. Both "sides" will continue this until the PC game market will dwindle to nothing.

Bearcat99
05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Where did you get the DVD.. I went to Just Flight and couldnt find it.... I want to get it for a friend....

Crash_Moses
05-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Where did you get the DVD.. I went to Just Flight and couldnt find it.... I want to get it for a friend....

Got mine from GoGamer (http://www.gogamer.com)

Edbert
05-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Got mine from GoGamer (http://www.gogamer.com)
Ditto, paid $2.99 for insured shipping and got it in 7 business days.

Worf101
05-02-2006, 07:43 AM

WV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my old unit it meant ****** up Darlin' or ***** up Dammit!!

Da Worfster

ViFF101
05-02-2006, 08:15 AM
BB may be nasty but at least it is not installing itself as a service

Edbert,

go to Start->Run>Msconfig.exe

You will find a service running there called Boonty. You can never uninstall it because its embedded in the il2fb.exe of version 4.05m every time you run it.

ViFF

Edbert
05-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ViFF101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BB may be nasty but at least it is not installing itself as a service

Edbert,

You will find a service running there called Boonty. You can never uninstall it because its embedded in the il2fb.exe of version 4.05m every time you run it.

ViFF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrmmm...so it IS a service eh? I stand corrected then. FWIW, I have not bought the Pe2 add-on at this time. I just got 4.04 (the complete edition DVD arrived last Friday) up and running with all the settings and tweaks and add-ons. After seeing this I am taking a wait and see attitude.

Frankly I don't care much for moving mud or flying multiple-engined aircraft in general, so I think that a critical mass will need to be acheived before I'll go and get it. When the online community gets to the point where old version rooms get scarce I'll have to buy it.

AWL_Spinner
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Hrmmm...so it IS a service eh? I stand corrected then.

Yes, it is, but you can strip it using regedit after uninstalling Boonty.

It doesn't put up much of a fight, and there's an excellent walk through of this on a link inside Luthier's comprehensive installation guide.

If you follow that, you can be all done inside 25 minutes (download included).

Regarding Boonty's cheerful respawning from the il2fb.exe/il2.exe files, you can get unboontified ones from the link in my signature. These are from 4.04m and work perfectly well with the Pe-2 expansion.

Yes, it's a pain, but no, it doesn't do anything you can't get rid of.

AKA_TAGERT
05-02-2006, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BB may be nasty but at least it is not installing itself as a service

Edbert,

You will find a service running there called Boonty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, true, in that all programs SERVE US

You can never uninstall it because its embedded in the il2fb.exe of version 4.05m every time you run it. bold face lie

A.K.Davis
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hrmmm...so it IS a service eh? I stand corrected then.

Yes, it is, but you can strip it using regedit after uninstalling Boonty.

It doesn't put up much of a fight, and there's an excellent walk through of this on a link inside Luthier's comprehensive installation guide.

If you follow that, you can be all done inside 25 minutes (download included).

Yes, it's a pain, but no, it doesn't do anything you can't get rid of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is even more than is needed. Just replace the .exe files with the originals and add/remove boontybox. If you are really anal you can hunt down the several registry entries that remain.

AWL_Spinner
05-02-2006, 09:23 AM
..and the service. Which is not removed with add/remove or uninstall.

You calling me really anal?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Edbert
05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
For clarification...

You can run 4.04 unbootified but if you run 4.05 it rebootifies you.

Yes or no?

Low_Flyer_MkVb
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I uninstalled Boonty and can run the game from either the new 4.05 desktop icon or the old one...no difference whatsoever....go figure.

AWL_Spinner
05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
For clarification...

You can run 4.04 unbootified but if you run 4.05 it rebootifies you.

Yes or no?

Correct:

4.04 is unboontified.

4.05 includes bootified game .exes that, if you have manually removed boonty, reboontify you every time you run the game.

However, you can replace the boontified 4.05 .exes with the 4.04 ones and the game works perfectly happily, and you'll never be reboontified.

Until the next release!

In addition to the tinfoil hat goodness of removing boonty, it should also be pointed out that doing this is ALSO good value from a stability point of view: it's a recommended semi-official work-around for memory errors in 4.05 caused by the boonty .exes.

bigchump
05-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I did the right thing.

I didn't have any problems with the install, except my 800kb cable internet only DL'd @ 90kb.

My IL-2 folder is not the default one, and I had no problems at all with the registry or BB finding my game.

I thought there were new maps included(!)??

It costs about $18 US for one plane and some ground objects. I was looking forward to some new maps.......

iroseland
05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Did the right thing as well.

I really like this game. Its fun, which is something that I cannot say about alot of other games on the shelves. I downloaded/boontyboxed the add on from work. put the exectuable on my flash took it home and ran/installed it there. All with no problems. I just uninstalled boonty box at work, again no problem. Yea, I am no fan of this distribution method, but it was not that bad in the end. I think that the thing that has folks confused about boonty is that it leads them to believe they need it to install the add-on.. Not the case, you need the reg code and the pe-2 executable, thats it.. Its an annoying way to get the executable, but again at least it worked. As for Ubi, I dont agree with boonty, but they are simply playing follow the leader. The whole industry is shifting to this, I expect to see more, and worse implimentations. Ubi is a bit mislead, not evil. At least, we dont need to have boonty loaded for the patch to work, and once installed it is easly shut off and or removed.

Finally, the add on is worth it. Thanks to Il2 I spend pretty close to nothing on games per year. So, I dont feel bad about paying for these add ons at all. Also, the pe2 was fun to fly and even more fun to shoot down 8^) This plane has the potential to help fix some of the maps on a few server out there. I look forward to running into a flight of these on the murmansk map on spits v 109's instead of a wall of b25's

BSS_AIJO

Breeze147
05-02-2006, 11:33 AM

waffen-79
05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I did the right thing as well

...so? when they will let my buy my Ar-234?

Taylortony
05-02-2006, 01:25 PM

You can download the damn add on off that site therefore it is the terms for it...............

Taylortony
05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Edbert:
Just to add my worthless opinions to the list...

UBI has officially stopped using Starforce, BB may be nasty but at least it is not installing itself as a service.

No doubt urged on by the fact someone is suing their a+s because of it..

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Ubisoft+drops+Sta...469bbfd32b3f 44fefcd6 (http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Ubisoft+drops+Starforce+protecti on&id=4262&sid=ce993535db10469bbfd32b3f44fefcd6)

WTE_Galway
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
is the only difference between the 4.04 and 4.05 executables the booty files ??

i suppose it may even turn out the memory errors are not caused by the boonty additions but are the result of some other change in the code

more importantly is it possible we are loosing bug fixes and changes by regressing the exe files ?

A.K.Davis
05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
is the only difference between the 4.04 and 4.05 executables the booty files ??

i suppose it may even turn out the memory errors are not caused by the boonty additions but are the result of some other change in the code

more importantly is it possible we are loosing bug fixes and changes by regressing the exe files ?

See Luthier's thread stickied up top. He is in charge of the add-on and all these questions are answered there. (if only they would read...)

civildog
05-03-2006, 02:13 AM
DL'd the thing in one try, installed it flawlessly the first time, deleted all the Boonty stuff, rarely been happier. Gamewise anyway, always happier during sex, maybe a little happier when I first played FarCry but as far as FB is concerned I'm pretty happy about the Pe add-on. Yup, pretty happy right now. I'm not having sex right at the moment, but I'm still happy.

Manos1
05-03-2006, 04:45 AM

WB_Outlaw
05-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ViFF101:
You can never uninstall it because its embedded in the il2fb.exe of version 4.05m every time you run it. bold face lie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Tag, how did you get a 4.05 version of il2fb.exe that does not recreate the C:\Program Files\Common Files\BOONTY Shared\Service\Boonty.exe file?

--Outlaw.

Freelancer-1
05-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I have to admit, this is the first time I paid for something I have no intention of installing. But Oleg and crew need their Rubles and who am I, after the years of enjoyment this game has given me, to deny them what they've rightfully earned.

AWL_Spinner
05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Freelancer-1, that seems like a shame. There's enough information out there now to be secure in the knowledge you can run a clean install process that leaves you with 4.05m and no trace of boonty.

I confess I'm a bit of a tinfoil hatter and I'd not have done it if this wasn't the case.

If you've paid for it, you may as well enjoy the Pe-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WWMaxGunz
05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Paid. My order #81463 appx 18:50 US EST.... how could I not??
Hopefully next addon will be more W98SE friendly but by then I may have W2000 or XP anyway.

Up The System!