PDA

View Full Version : Floating docks...

Foehammer-1
09-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Humm, are they called floating docks? I forgot. Anyway. Does anyone know how those docks are built? As if, how are the ballast tanks or whatever arranged?

It can't be (IMO of course) that the whole side of the thing is hollow, with no compartments.

Here is why I'm asking. It takes two torpedoes (not modified with green plastic explosive) on average to sink a ship along the lines of a Large Cargo or a troopship. I understand the idea of compartments in those ships. However, it only takes one torpedo to the side to kill a floating dock, and you get the "She's going down" message very very fast compared to any other ship. If the thing was completely hollow inside, I'd understand... But is it really hollow?

Kielhauler1961
09-18-2008, 08:17 AM
They had large 'ballast tanks' in the hull and submerged and surfaced in exactly the same way your U-Boat does.

Check your Captain's Log and see what the 'kill' is recorded as. I believe under GWX you don't get anything like the full tonnage credit for a floating dock and it is listed as being a...tugboat or similar, can't remember.

Foehammer-1
09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh no, it's recorded, alright. That's how I got my 49K in a IID :P

Interesting. Guess I blew out the dividing walls between those ballast tanks... Cause I sank one in Norfolk in '42 in the previous career, before reinstall