PDA

View Full Version : I think there's some pencil-pushing AI trying to get me and my crew killed.

Khan_Drichthyes
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I had a photo recon mission waaaaay up into the China/Korea area to photograph any carriers. I got the pictures, but not before lightly bumping into a anti-submarine net. -Whoa, I never encountered that before. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I looked around with the outside view, and saw several mines just on the other side of the net! "Holy jumpin' Saints-a-plenty, riding sidewise on a candy-pink fatboy!!!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Thankfully I didn't get tangled or blown up. -Can I get tangled in the game?

Well... After completing that mission and following up with quite a few ships sunk in the Sea of Japan, I return to base and discover the very same recon mission assigned to me.

Now I had to wonder what I could have done to some NPC at Midway to dislike me so much, that he sends me right back out there. Could it have been a former Jr Officer who got a dark mark in his Fitness Report, and then transferred off the boat? Somebody saw I was promoted to Captain, and thought I could take whatever they dished out? ...Lockwood been swiggin' the alcohol from the torpedoes???

Oh well... Grumble we may, but go we must.

Oh, and I made it. ...along with 58,000 tons of shipping sunk on the way back. I had to turn the fuel to "Unlimited" though.

Khan_Drichthyes
06-14-2010, 07:12 PM
One of the reasons this mission irked me so much was that the whole area was pretty much no deeper than 100 feet. I really hate operating in shallow waters.

Yooperbacker
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Pretty crazy getting the same patrol twice in a row.

Are you playing SH4 patched to 1.4 or SH4 with U-boat missions?

PhantomKira
06-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Tangled? Not exactly. At slow speed, you'll take damage but bounce along the net. If you do a David G Farragut "Damn the torpedoes!", and go charging in at top speed into a net, you'll get stuck "in" it, as the game won't register that the boat's there until after the boat's gone a ways. Thereafter, the boat will be stuck and grind itself to death due to being stuck in the subnet. Your engines don't have enough power to pull you off if you get really stuck.

As for the mines, they're deadly. I've had several times when I've been in time compression and the game has just quit, saying "you're dead! Sorry!". That's a mine. I've been lucky enough to catch one on external camera once or twice, and they do have deep water mining in SH4, so don't think you're safe until you have lots of water under the keel. If it's shallow enough to bounce sonar off the bottom, it might be mined.

As for surviving a mine, you have to be really, really shallow, like in a harbor and you have to surface immediately before what's left of the hull collapses. Then you have to sneak past the coastal guns and spotlights (who all heard the massive explosion, and saw the column of water) and limp home as you'll be in no condition to fight. If you're below periscope depth, survival is highly unlikely due to the massive damage that the contact detonated mines cause.

Khan_Drichthyes
06-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised that it's even possible to survive a mine detonation. I'd expect it to break the sub's keel and split it in two.