PDA

View Full Version : Convergence

redhornet07
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
So, I like to fly Spitfires and 109's alot. It seems to take me far too much ammo to down another fighter and I like to use the philosophy of Rene Fonk when in combat.

I have convergence for guns and cannons on the Spit set at 185 meters, what do you others use?

For the 109s I have the convergence set at 250 meters, does it really matter with a 109 considering the cannon fires through the prop and the guns are on top of the engine?

What am I not doing correctly?

berg417448
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Convergence for nose mounted guns should matter if it is modeled correctly in game because there should be a vertical component as well as horizontal:

http://www.cybersniper.com/bulletdp.gif

WTE_Galway
11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by redhornet07:
So, I like to fly Spitfires and 109's alot. It seems to take me far too much ammo to down another fighter and I like to use the philosophy of Rene Fonk when in combat.

I have convergence for guns and cannons on the Spit set at 185 meters, what do you others use?

For the 109s I have the convergence set at 250 meters, does it really matter with a 109 considering the cannon fires through the prop and the guns are on top of the engine?

As stated above if you are not in convergence you may end up shooting too high or too low.

250 metres is way too far out for the mg to do anything useful. it is ok for a cannon convergence though.

One problem people commonly have with the 109 is neglecting the need to use rudder when shooting. The 109 tends to slip a lot under combat power.

This means you need to ether give it a fair kick of right rudder to center the ball when shooting under full power or aim somewhere out around the respective wingtip http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PanzerAce2.0
11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redhornet07:

As stated above if you are not in convergence you may end up shooting too high or too low.

250 metres is way too far out for the mg to do anything useful. it is ok for a cannon convergence though.

One problem people commonly have with the 109 is neglecting the need to use rudder when shooting. The 109 tends to slip a lot under combat power.

This means you need to ether give it a fair kick of right rudder to center the ball when shooting under full power or aim somewhere out around the respective wingtip http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually found an easy way around this problem: zero power dives. You won't overspeed, AND you don't have to deal with slip http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Freiwillige
11-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I just researched this very question for U.S. fighters. American fighters came set from the factory at 300 yards. So I went online and found a conversion chart. 300 yards = something like 283 meters.
SO armed with my new found knowledge I adjusted my simulation and walla....I get far more critical hits at most realistic ranges. Before I had em set close like 150 M. and found that when the enemy is close enough I cant keep him in my sights long enough! Stupid AI UFO Rolls.
So try the historical setting it works well.

b2spirita
11-10-2008, 06:45 AM

Remember that convergence is quite a personal thing, so you wold be best offI MO just playing around with the settings and seeing what works best for you personally.

noobisoft
11-10-2008, 07:31 AM
What's a good way of measuring distance in the game? I know about how close I tend to get to a target based on visual cues before opening fire, but is there any way to pause the game and actually measure how far away I am from the target at this point and thereby be sure to set the correct convergence distance?

Choctaw111
11-10-2008, 08:12 AM
In your difficulty settings, there is an option that will allow for icons to display and give you what you want. Just flip the "no Icons" switch to the off position. This will show, in text, what type of airplane and how far away it is while you're flying.
A great tool for learning gunnery.

Edited 'cause I can't type http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
I hate leaving grammatical errors.

Sirrith
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
I just researched this very question for U.S. fighters. American fighters came set from the factory at 300 yards. So I went online and found a conversion chart. 300 yards = something like 283 meters.
SO armed with my new found knowledge I adjusted my simulation and walla....I get far more critical hits at most realistic ranges. Before I had em set close like 150 M. and found that when the enemy is close enough I cant keep him in my sights long enough! Stupid AI UFO Rolls.
Factory convergence wasn't exactly the best. IIRC, a lot of pilots wanted it set much closer.

squareusr
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
just flying with icons on won't be the fastest way to learn range estimation, because with visible icons you won't even try to estimate.

but after you activate icons in the difficulty screen, you can bind a key to the "toggle icons" command and then make the enabled icons invisible again: that way you can fly with "invisible icons on" and only make them visible when you want to test your estimate in pause mode.

Uufflakke
11-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by noobisoft:
What's a good way of measuring distance in the game? I know about how close I tend to get to a target based on visual cues before opening fire, but is there any way to pause the game and actually measure how far away I am from the target at this point and thereby be sure to set the correct convergence distance?

This tutorial will help you to calculate the distance to your enemy by using your revi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnJeM3wjew

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Sirrith:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Factory convergence wasn't exactly the best. IIRC, a lot of pilots wanted it set much closer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I imagine it's still a good place to start.

crucislancer
11-10-2008, 02:43 PM

I have mine set at 200 meters generally, though I make changes for certain planes or situations, like 300 meters if I'm going into a dedicated ground attack situation.

For the Spitfire, you only have 60 rounds per cannon until you get to the Mk VIII/IX, IIRC. Convergence is only part of the equation, though. Making sure only to fire when you are in convergence range and you are sure you can hit the plane in a spot that will bring it down with a short burst: Engine, cockpit, wingroots. Sitting directly on their 6 isn't always the best option, either, as you might just be chewing into an empty tail.

I tried the convergence that US pilots used (300 yards is actually 274.32 meters), but it wasn't close enough for me. I recall someone posting something about the P-47 convergence that had the inner guns at 250 yards and the outside guns at 350 yards, or something to that effect, to give the pilot a box of fire. It works, but it's not for me. One of those things that shows that convergence is very much a personal thing.

Crikey2008
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by noobisoft:

Try this speculative idea. Setup mission takeoff position on carrier...set enemy aircraft tracking at 20 - 30m ASL towards carrier head on to your cokpit view...set distance for the ship's guns to open fire at 200m range...150m...etc.

This may help in judging range from the cockpit view normal and cockpit gunsight view. Take notice of when the enemy aircraft fills the gunsight rings and when it fille the effectively the whole cockpit screen

Then take to the air. An aircraft filling the side windscreen is roughly about 50m away from you.

Divine-Wind
11-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I think it would probably help to point out that you can't set the firing range for ships, only rate of fire, skill, and sleep timer.

K_Freddie
11-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Fighters = 150m (although I've read that in BoB, the allied pilots unofficially set this to around 75m).
For ground attack a/c: MGs = 400m, Cannon/Rockets = 300m, rocket Delay = 10 secs, Bomb Delay = 3 Secs
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif