PDA

View Full Version : Russian translation

kiddknapp59
01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Help me out here with a bit of translation. I€ll give you the scenario. I flew an IL2 mission, blow up the train; you know the mission. Ok fine, four IL2, me in the lead. We get jumped on the way and I shoot down an enemy plane, my boys take out the other; horray for us. We hit the train, blow it up, and head home. Here is the language barrier problem.
We get back to base, I€m in the lead. I get landing clearance. Now in English, if they tell me I am clear full stop it means it is my turn to land. In Russian it apparently means €œevery man for himself, first guy to land wins€. I got hit by my wing man and died.
While we are on the subject, a few others. Attack flak in English means attack the flak guns. The ones on the ground, shooting at us. In Russian this means €œfly around and shout encouragement. I don€t think these guys have hit a single gun.
Rejoin seems to mean €œgo about your business chasing a smoking wreck of an enemy plane that is currently no more dangerous than a box of puppies€. Long winded translation, but you get the idea. I€m sure there are others I have forgotten, but those are a start.
I€ve vented now, I feel better. In English that means I have a donkey.
I should be allowed to kill my wingman without retribution.

kiddknapp59
01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Help me out here with a bit of translation. I€ll give you the scenario. I flew an IL2 mission, blow up the train; you know the mission. Ok fine, four IL2, me in the lead. We get jumped on the way and I shoot down an enemy plane, my boys take out the other; horray for us. We hit the train, blow it up, and head home. Here is the language barrier problem.
We get back to base, I€m in the lead. I get landing clearance. Now in English, if they tell me I am clear full stop it means it is my turn to land. In Russian it apparently means €œevery man for himself, first guy to land wins€. I got hit by my wing man and died.
While we are on the subject, a few others. Attack flak in English means attack the flak guns. The ones on the ground, shooting at us. In Russian this means €œfly around and shout encouragement. I don€t think these guys have hit a single gun.
Rejoin seems to mean €œgo about your business chasing a smoking wreck of an enemy plane that is currently no more dangerous than a box of puppies€. Long winded translation, but you get the idea. I€m sure there are others I have forgotten, but those are a start.
I€ve vented now, I feel better. In English that means I have a donkey.
I should be allowed to kill my wingman without retribution.

BBB_Hyperion
01-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Hehe good post .)

MO_JOJO
01-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Sounds familiar.

Hey, while were on the subject of translating Russian, let me attempt to post a photo below and see if someone can put this in English. It's funny without knowing what the guy is saying. I like the extended rudder on the German plane to accomodate his many kills.

Translation please:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/MO_JOJO/vykusi.gif

SabreF-86
01-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I have no idea what they are saying, but it pretty funny. Also reasonably accurate. The russians did run some tests on putting wings and tail on one of their light tanks so they could tow it behind larger aircraft. I imagine the tests were concluded when the tanks running gear exploded after going from 0-80 or 90 mph in no seconds flat. I imagine it would have had the handling characteristics of a greased anvil.

Don't ask me where I read about it, but I do remember seeing a set of drawings on the set up in some magazine somewhere

Sabre

MO_JOJO
01-11-2005, 03:26 AM
It was the KT-40, or A-40, I believe, and I read on the Russian Aviation Page that the makers got it to fly, but never produced it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/MO_JOJO/kt-40-1.gif

Maybe we could do a caption contest for this one, eh?

MO_JOJO
01-11-2005, 03:27 AM
A contest on the cartoon above, not this sketch of the real thing.

SabreF-86
01-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Flying yes, I could see that. Landing is the part that would scare the daylites outta me. I'd hate to have been the test pilot of that one. Would have been awarded Hero of the Soviet Union for not filling his drawers first time he looked at it.

Sabre http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Magistertc
01-11-2005, 05:06 AM
The gunner is saying (approximately) "have a taste of this" - his middle finger is sticking out of his fist. The sign on the plane says "our answer to Krupp." The pilot is singing the opening line of a song called "Sten'ka Razin" which is a kind of pop macho chauvinist folk song. Why he is singing that, I dunno, they had better war-related songs than that.

HansKnappstick
01-11-2005, 05:13 AM
The "Stenka Ryazin" song, while being a war song, is also quite cool and easy-going. You do not sing it marching or standing attention, but rather laying flat at the campfire. Thus I can perfectly understand the idea of that soviet pilot singing it on the cartoon.

MO_JOJO
01-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks, Magistertc! I wasn't sure and thought of some good lines he might have used. Did you notice the rounds ricocheting off the right (armored) wing and the tow hook on the nose? As said before, pretty funny stuff even without translation, but thanks again.

P.S. What do you think the German guy has tied to his rudder?

-HH-Quazi
01-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Good reading, but how to stop this from happening to the m8 again? Here is what works for me. Command them to return to base when you start on your way. If you make another command after you have already commanded them to return to base, then repeat the return to base command. Make sure it is the last command they get from you before you land. Then, when you ask for clearance, and get it, they will break away. If for some reason one of them is being a hard head, like the wingman, then command them to "break" right before you land. Works for me.

Stoyanov
01-11-2005, 05:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
P.S. What do you think the German guy has tied to his rudder? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A pair of Eyes to "check his 6" and a pen to wright his victory on the V stabhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Breeze147
01-11-2005, 07:50 AM
I also like when you order an attack and everyone answers "Unable To Comply". Well, okay then fellas, we'll just circle around in the flak until your done passing around this month's Playchika and then we'll attack, okay?