PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two fighters

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 01:06 PM
I just got a wake-up call on my dogfighting skills. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I'm playing the Experten campaign, still in the early parts of it. On this mission I and one other Emil are flying CAS on our tenous toe-hold on the Smolensk map. Russians are attacking, we're gonna Jabo them. We get to the target area, and I take out two armoured cars with my SC250. Feel pretty good about it, as I've been having problems landing bombs close enough to take out hard targets.

Ok, now here come the Russian fighters. Two migs and an I-16. Pretty soon both forces shoot each others down and I am left all alone in my Emil 7/B vs a mig. I can tell you, it was not easy! I tried everything I've read about: I tried spiral climbs, I tried extending, I even tried turning with him. It was futile, and by rights I should have been a smoking hole in the ground. He climbed with me, he turned inside me, he was faster in level flight. The few times I had him in my sights, my poor gunnery skills betrayed me. The times I tried to turn with him, I was bleeding myself dry on E, while he skipped away.

Truly, the Emil (at least in my hands) is outdated as a fighter aircraft by 1941! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

After many sweaty-palmed minutes he's on my six and I can't shake him. Fortunately I am able to enter a shallow dive to keep him at a little distance. I'm heading for base and flak. Green tracers all around me. A few impacts. Just a little closer....closer...I'm sweating bullets. Finally I see the airstrip and go screaming over it (inasmuch as an Emil can "scream"... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ), praying that the flak gunners are on the job. Tracers stop coming. I enter a slight bank, looking over my shoulder. And there! Yes! The mig is heading home, black smoke pouring from his engine.

The relief is tremendous! I'm all shaky and land my aircraft, not feeling up to chasing him and bringing him down. Live to fight another day!

It was one of the tensest moments I've had in FB. Just had to share with y'all. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak
That don't impress me much

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 01:06 PM
I just got a wake-up call on my dogfighting skills. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I'm playing the Experten campaign, still in the early parts of it. On this mission I and one other Emil are flying CAS on our tenous toe-hold on the Smolensk map. Russians are attacking, we're gonna Jabo them. We get to the target area, and I take out two armoured cars with my SC250. Feel pretty good about it, as I've been having problems landing bombs close enough to take out hard targets.

Ok, now here come the Russian fighters. Two migs and an I-16. Pretty soon both forces shoot each others down and I am left all alone in my Emil 7/B vs a mig. I can tell you, it was not easy! I tried everything I've read about: I tried spiral climbs, I tried extending, I even tried turning with him. It was futile, and by rights I should have been a smoking hole in the ground. He climbed with me, he turned inside me, he was faster in level flight. The few times I had him in my sights, my poor gunnery skills betrayed me. The times I tried to turn with him, I was bleeding myself dry on E, while he skipped away.

Truly, the Emil (at least in my hands) is outdated as a fighter aircraft by 1941! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

After many sweaty-palmed minutes he's on my six and I can't shake him. Fortunately I am able to enter a shallow dive to keep him at a little distance. I'm heading for base and flak. Green tracers all around me. A few impacts. Just a little closer....closer...I'm sweating bullets. Finally I see the airstrip and go screaming over it (inasmuch as an Emil can "scream"... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ), praying that the flak gunners are on the job. Tracers stop coming. I enter a slight bank, looking over my shoulder. And there! Yes! The mig is heading home, black smoke pouring from his engine.

The relief is tremendous! I'm all shaky and land my aircraft, not feeling up to chasing him and bringing him down. Live to fight another day!

It was one of the tensest moments I've had in FB. Just had to share with y'all. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Emil is faster than Yaks1s/I-16s/I-153, but less manouvarable than them..However the Emil is Slower than the Mig3.. Mig is however not as agile as Emil, except maybe in altitudes over 6000 m.. and remember, that the AI-planes cheat.. they don't have the same physics modelling as human planes.. however it is pretty easy to avoid AI planes gunfiring, if you keep turning all the time, so the AI-planes never hit you.. and waste their ammo.. AFter wasting their ammo they fly straigt level without evading and are easy targets.

Against human opponents it is ofcourse harder, basicly you loose every time, if you are entering a turnfight with Yaks and Ratas.. instead you have to B&Z. Though It is hard to B&Z Ai-planes, since they can see you all the time, through the clouds, through everything /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Official Sig:

<center>http://koti.mbnet.fi/vipez/shots/Vipez4.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Vipez- wrote:
- Emil is faster than Yaks1s/I-16s/I-153, but less
- manouvarable than them..However the Emil is Slower
- than the Mig3.. Mig is however not as agile as Emil,
- except maybe in altitudes over 6000 m.. and
- remember, that the AI-planes cheat.. they don't have
- the same physics modelling as human planes..

Yup, fully aware of it. I did not mean to say the mig was "uber" in any way (what a laugh), just that it kicked my pants. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I'm starting to get acquainted with the aircraft, now I have to work on my gunnery skills. I mean, the mig is famous for breaking apart from a mere touch of fire, yet I couldn't take it down at all. Must have simply missed him every time...not a good testament to my gunnery skills /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

--
Joques
Ok, so you've got a Yak