PDA

View Full Version : Change from X1900XT to 7950GX2???

ytareh
10-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Have a chance at a SWEET pc deal (used) with 6300 cpu/ECS SLi mobo /2Gb Crucial Ltd Ed RAM and a 7950GX2.....Im a bit wary of the nlatter .Is this graphics card going to be any much better than the X1900XT.I do tend to be an ATi guy having tried a 6600GT for a few weeks....(better fps but lower IQ on the green side ,right!?)Am I right that there are major issues both generally with the 7950GX2 and specifically relating to this game?Serious overheater too?Any help appreciated asap...Thanks as always!

Airmail109
10-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Have a chance at a SWEET pc deal (used) with 6300 cpu/ECS SLi mobo /2Gb Crucial Ltd Ed RAM and a 7950GX2.....Im a bit wary of the nlatter .Is this graphics card going to be any much better than the X1900XT.I do tend to be an ATi guy having tried a 6600GT for a few weeks....(better fps but lower IQ on the green side ,right!?)Am I right that there are major issues both generally with the 7950GX2 and specifically relating to this game?Serious overheater too?Any help appreciated asap...Thanks as always!

dude wait for the 8800gt, price will be 180 dollars ish

it wouldnt be much better except for games that support SLI, try and buy the rig without the card

-HH-Quazi
10-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I got a sweet deal on a 7950GX2 m8. Installed it yesterday but had to reinstall in pretty quick as it was heating up the chipset on my DFI SLI-DR to the point on making it beep. Hot isn't the word. Try scorcher. I was able to run it with the side of the case off and a fan blowing in. I am pretty familiar with nVidia drivers and I couldn't get it to give no better bench numbers at the settings I play at than my X1900XTX or my X1950XTX. So I went back to my X1950XTX, which I found to be a good bump over my X1900XTX. My guess it is because of the memory & core clock differnces between the two. But there is one thing I do love about nVidia & SLI. That is the SLI AA setting. It takes away the "supposedly" performance increase of having two GPU's, but in turn it takes away all the jagged edges and smoothes the scene out. Looks great.

slipBall
10-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
I got a sweet deal on a 7950GX2 m8. Installed it yesterday but had to reinstall in pretty quick as it was heating up the chipset on my DFI SLI-DR to the point on making it beep. Hot isn't the word. Try scorcher. I was able to run it with the side of the case off and a fan blowing in. I am pretty familiar with nVidia drivers and I couldn't get it to give no better bench numbers at the settings I play at than my X1900XTX or my X1950XTX. So I went back to my X1950XTX, which I found to be a good bump over my X1900XTX. My guess it is because of the memory & core clock differnces between the two. But there is one thing I do love about nVidia & SLI. That is the SLI AA setting. It takes away the "supposedly" performance increase of having two GPU's, but in turn it takes away all the jagged edges and smoothes the scene out. Looks great.

Hi Quazi.....I have been looking to up-grade my card....could I install a X1950XTX in a older mb? it's a 939 pin Gigabyte

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-12-2007, 07:30 AM
My 7950GX2 has been running without issue once I got some adequate drivers (96.89's I think) and tweaked the settings in the NV control panel. Doesn't get too hot and provides excellent frames. But probably not significantly better than an X1900XTX.

My intention is to wait until the G92 comes out and replace my 7950GX2 with that...then hand it down to one of my kids.

Airmail109
10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
My 7950GX2 has been running without issue once I got some adequate drivers (96.89's I think) and tweaked the settings in the NV control panel. Doesn't get too hot and provides excellent frames. But probably not significantly better than an X1900XTX.

My intention is to wait until the G92 comes out and replace my 7950GX2 with that...then hand it down to one of my kids.

G92 (D8P) is an 8800gts revision, with pcie 2.0 (backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.1) , 112 shaders instead of 96 and scaled down to 65nm. The card will be called the 8800gt. It'll be released in November.

D8E is Nvidias next gen enthusiast card, which will be released Q1 2008

-HH-Quazi
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:

Hi Quazi.....I have been looking to up-grade my card....could I install a X1950XTX in a older mb? it's a 939 pin Gigabyte </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sure. As log as it has a PCI-E slot for the graphics card. And just FYI. Just over the last two weeks the X1950XTX's in regular or Crossfire Edition have been finishing their auctions on eBay for less than $200. A few have been listed with Buy It Now fixed prices of $185 & less. Of course a long term warranty is not available unless the seller is a member of Square Trade & you can pick one up fairly cheap yourself.

TheGozr
10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Well i agree with TB i will not get any 88xx serie it's not worth it when you have a 7950GX2. I have the 7950 GX2 overclocked great no overheat fantastic card. Always better to have a strong CPU for SLI.
Get what you can cheap for now and teh new cards will arrive and much better than 88xx or 79xx.