PDA

View Full Version : The F4U Corsair, according to one who flew it

Objektskaya
04-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I had a very cool conversation earlier today with my grandfather. He was a Marine aviator in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam, eventually retiring after over 30 years of service.

His first combat assignment was flying F4U's. I forget the exact model and location of this assignment, but he remarked that the early version had a "bird cage" canopy and short tailwheel strut that combined with the airplane's long snout for lousy forward visibility, especially when taxiing and landing. He said it was common to zig-zag when taxiing, because that was the only way you could see where you were going.

He also remarked that setting 6 degrees of left (or was it right?) rudder trim was part of the pre-takeoff checklist. I didn't think to ask him how you could get it that specific. I suppose they put a piece of tape or paint mark on the trim knob to mark the proper setting.

He had finished up flight training in Brewster Buffaloes and spent some weeks literally learning the R-2800 engine of the F4U inside and out at Pratt & Whitney's plant before going on to fly F4Us in combat.

We also discussed the lack of ammo counters in all American fighters. As he put it, "you used the least you thought you needed to do the job, and hoped you had enough for the rest of the mission."

He verified that level bombing wasn't really possible in the F4U - it was strictly dive bombing for any kind of accuracy. The exception was when weather was so bad they couldn't see ground targets anyway. In that case, he said, they sometimes dropped under ground radar direction.

Later onm he flew F9F-5 Panthers in Korea. That is an era sorely under-served in flight sims. I'd love to see a sim done to the depth and accuracy of IL-2 1946, except featuring the Korean War.

It was a really nifty conversation, and I thought I'd share.

beNdeR__
04-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Great story!

Speaking of Korean war combat sims, I actually have a quite old (1997 I believe) combat sim called Sabre Ace that I installed recently on an old computer, and I was surprised to see quite a few planes seen in 46. Some planes I remember off hand in the game are the F-86, Mig15, F-80, F-51 mustang, twin mustang, yak-9, Il-10, La-7, F4U, and two of the grumman "cats", if I remember correctly the F7F and F9F.

Unfortunately I can't get a serial port to work on the computer so I can't play it with the old CH fighterstick I use. The game is pretty cool however, not very sophisticated modelling but impressively features full voice and a bunch of interesting missions.

I definitely would love to see a good new sim about the Korean war or even the beginning of the Vietnam war, just before missiles became the weapon of choice.

Ba5tard5word
04-18-2008, 10:09 PM
interesting stories.

yeah I wish they would make an expansion for Il-2 for Korea, all they need is a group of Korea maps and a few extra planes and we'd be good to go!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ffb
04-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
interesting stories.

yeah I wish they would make an expansion for Il-2 for Korea, all they need is a group of Korea maps and a few extra planes and we'd be good to go!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Work In Progress http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif