PDA

View Full Version : BOB ? what is this :P

Adseh
10-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I know BOB stands for battle of britain, but everyone keeps mentioning it, e.g. wait for BOB to see ......(insert plane here)....
is it an enitirely new game made by another company or another game made by maddox like pacific fighters?

Skyraider3D
10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
But will it be entirely new, I wonder...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3551088863

Troll2k
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
There is a recently released BoB 2:Wings of Victory.This is an upgraded version of the original Rowan's BoB.It is produced by Shockwave I believe.

However Oleg and 1C are working on their own BoB.This is expected to be released sometime in 2006.At this point it is supposed to be a totally new game and engine.Time will tell.

Skyraider3D
10-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Flight model will be the same or similar to PF 4.x though, I believe.

VW-IceFire
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Skyraider3D:
Flight model will be the same or similar to PF 4.x though, I believe.
PF 4.0x just scratches the surface of what Oleg is working on for the FM he has said. What it does do is let him test some of the early schmes that they can plug into the PF code.

Some of the other things like advanced weather effects will come with the final project. We'll see how far he is willing to take it on CPU cycles and how much detail will be put into things.

FritzGryphon
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Click on my sig to see development screens for BoB.

Chuck_Older
10-20-2005, 07:59 AM
But will it be entirely new, I wonder...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3551088863

Come on now. It's no secret that this sim now is a test bed for certain aspects of FM that they want to use in BoB.

Don't start spreading stuff like this. There is no secret agenda to use this FM in BoB

JG53Frankyboy
10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Troll2k:
..............However Oleg and 1C are working on their own BoB.This is expected to be released sometime in 2006.At this point it is supposed to be a totally new game and engine.Time will tell.

unfortunatly most propably more in 2007 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Skyraider3D
10-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
There is no secret agenda to use this FM in BoB
I've worked too long in the games industry to believe that.

Rebel_Yell_21
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Herein lies the problem. If it will be a totally new engine, then it would seem that nothing could be learned from flight modelling changes within the old engine, as the code will be completely inapplicable.

I cringe at the thought that BoB will just end up to be an evolution of the current engine. But, hopefully, those worries will be for naught.

Chuck_Older
10-20-2005, 09:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I've worked too long in the games industry to believe that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for you. Your bad attitude doesn't affect me though

here's the point: you seem to beleive it's a secret that the FM for BoB is being tested out in this sim

It's no secret. Everybody is so surprised to find out about this. Oleg came out and said that the sim is going to be a test bed for BoB. It is no secret. Folks need to start paying more attention or something I guess, but I have no connections, I'm not in the industry, and I know it's not a secret because I know about it

Tully__
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Chuck in no way implied there was no agenda, only that it's not a secret. Oleg has publically announced patches 4.x & later will be test beds for aspects of the FM/physics engine under development for BoB. If it's a secret, it's the worst kept secret I've ever seen.

Chivas
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Geez...BOB's engine will be an advancement on what Oleg has learned from IL-2 engine. There is no big secret agenda here. This is how people advanced from the stone age. To suggest that there is something wrong with this...is just stupid.

Skyraider3D
10-20-2005, 01:14 PM
First of all, Chuck, the only person with a bad attitude here is you. The "clashaholic" subtitle in your nickname says it all. But because I paid for this game and have some background knowledge (aeronautical engineering degree and being a senior 3D game artist working on simulators) I do put a few questionmarks with the development of this game. Nuff said.

Secondly, developing BoB on IL-2/PF is an obvious thing. No secrets there. What I do not like however, is that with each patch the game is totally different again. It's simply not acceptable. Imagine releasing a strategy game and then turning it into a first person shooter after a patch. Nobody would accept this, not even if the next game is going to be the best FPS ever. But what happens here is a bit similar, though not as extreme perhaps. I bought this game as a sim and now it handles a bit like an arcade! Next patch? who knows...
If I want to be a beta tester, I can do this at work. But I want to enjoy this game and not learn to fly again with each patch. It's simply not right. Let's just hope it will be worth it in the end...

-HH-Quazi
10-20-2005, 01:28 PM
I bought this game as a sim and now it handles like an arcade, next patch? who knows...

You're kidding, right? And if not, "handles like an arcade", in what ways do you think it handles like an arcade? I've played arcadish flight sims before, where no matter which ac you decide to fly, they all have the same FM characteristics. I can't think of any two ac in this sim that handles the same. Actually, I have to change my tactics when I switch from one ac to another. So if you could share your thoughts on what part(s) of this sim handles like an arcade...

Skyraider3D
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
See the link in my first reply.

Chivas
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Maddox efforts to improve this sim with FM and other tweaks are totally acceptable. If the tweaks don't suit you, thats unfortunate. You have the choice to go back to a patch that more suits your version of reality, fly a sim that you can tweak yourself, or if you fly on-line, learn to live with it.

Most of the tweaks have been easy adjustments. You may have to tweak your tactics alittle but not much. I know my favorite ride the 109 is more difficult to fly and shoot,but I know within a couple weeks it will be second nature. There are no adequate alternatives for me at present(at least until Olegs BOB comes out). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chuck_Older
10-20-2005, 01:58 PM
First of all, Chuck, the only person with a bad attitude here is you. The "clashaholic" subtitle in your nickname says it all. But because I paid for this game and have some background knowledge (aeronautical engineering degree and being a senior 3D game artist working on simulators) I do put a few questionmarks with the development of this game. Nuff said.

Secondly, developing BoB on IL-2/PF is an obvious thing. No secrets there. What I do not like however, is that with each patch the game is totally different again. It's simply not acceptable. Imagine releasing a strategy game and then turning it into a first person shooter after a patch. Nobody would accept this, not even if the next game is going to be the best FPS ever. But what happens here is a bit similar, though not as extreme perhaps. I bought this game as a sim and now it handles a bit like an arcade! Next patch? who knows...
If I want to be a beta tester, I can do this at work. But I want to enjoy this game and not learn to fly again with each patch. It's simply not right. Let's just hope it will be worth it in the end...

Maybe you should have just said that to begin with instead of making out like there's some secret that the FM in this sim is a test for BoB

As for the personal stuff...whatever. I'm not paid to change your opinion and I don't run for a popularity contest here

Tully__
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
The "clashaholic" subtitle in your nickname says it all.
Titles are bestowed, not chosen... that title is not Chuck's fault.

Skyraider3D
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
He earnt it surely http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Chuck_Older
10-20-2005, 03:16 PM
He earnt it surely http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Yup. Love the Clash

FoolTrottel
10-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Yup. Love the Clash

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif The Clash Rocks!

Treetop64
10-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Click on my sig to see development screens for BoB.

While obvious works in progress, those screenies are fabulous! Jeez! Is every nook and cranny in the cockpit of that Spit modeled in 3D? Every nub on every knob and wheel? That's going to cause some rigs to suffer a friggn' stroke!

Oh, and is that a Lysander towards the bottom of the screenies slideshow? A friggin' Lysander?! How cool is that?!?! To have such a crappy plane in a cool-arsed sim is nothing short of...of...COOL!

Skyraider3D
10-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Now what would be really interesting, is to have an accurate Lysander-secret-agent-drop-in-France-at-night mission. Navigating at night at tree top level while sneaking between countless bases full of 109s would be rather challenging!

Chuck_Older
10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Now, the above I agree with 100%

Support aircraft are completely ignored. There is only one powered a/c in the sim I can think of - C-47

What about the Liason aircraft? The Allied equivelant of the Storch? Completely missing.

So are workhorses like the Lysander. Swordfish? Duck?

heck, the Ju-52s can't even carry bombs

More varied utilitarian aircraft are needed

Skyraider3D
10-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Now, the above I agree with 100%
Now that's a first! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I once played on a server where the only goal was to make carrier landings. At first I thought "Boring! I wanna shoot!" but it turned out to be really good fun. No reason why we can't have some trainers in the game, etc... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
The Bf 108 for BoB looks good too!

Chuck_Older
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't disagree just to disagree http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif if I think you're right, I say so. You're right