PDA

View Full Version : Modification

AerialTarget
05-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Just how modifyable is this game? Can users edit aircraft specifications for offline use and use with other players using the same modifications?

ImpStarDuece
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM
In terms of FM, DM and Weapons modeling the sim is locked tighter than a drum. Its Olegs baby and he and his team make the decisions on how the game flys.

I am not the one to ask for the details but from what I understand it is essentially impossible for users to alter or adjust any of the aircraft specifications. Most of us here like it that way.

There was a very large stink kicked up about this when PF first came out by players switching over from the CFS serise, particularly CFS2 flyers. The 'this game is cr@p/incomplete/biased against X,Y or Z nation' crowd crawled out of the woodwork booing and hissing that they couldn't change things as they saw fit. Similarly the 'where can I download the ##### plane' people were also rudely shocked that they couldn't import aircraft models into the game.

ClnlSandersLite
05-25-2005, 12:18 AM
particularly CFS2 flyers. The 'this game is cr@p/incomplete/biased against X,Y or Z nation'
You sure sound determined to make it look like the naysayers are all from "that other sim". I came off of AEP, FB before that, and IL2 before that. I for one feel that PF IS incomplete, although I wont go into reasons here. There are also those that are feel that the game is **** for reasons unrelated to CFS. In addition to that, EVERY flight sim I've ever played since online communities got to be a big thing have been accused of bias, and I've been around for quite some time now. If a flight sim somehow manages to avoid that, then it's either: 1) not a real flight sim 2) Not of a competitive nature or 3) Total ****.

Troll2k
05-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Also the maps are locked.The best you can do is add objects to existing maps using the full mission builder.

ImpStarDuece
05-25-2005, 01:30 AM
And you sure seem determined to take my quote very neatly out of context http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I qualified my statement about why I thought CFS flyers were complaining in the initial stges. Firstly, they were new to the sim (ie PF had just come out) and things were very different to what they had previously flown. There were things that they could do in CFS that they couldn't do in PF. I'm sure to some it felt like they had spent money to go backwards in some areas.

Secondly, the fact that the game was unable to be modified caused a lot of voiceriferous disagreement on these boards, again mostly on first release. Some people felt that they were never going to get a product that matched the scope of their past flight sim. They didn't know the history of developer support that the serise has. Afterall, Microsoft developed the basic engine for CFS and then went and left it alone, not something that 1C seems to be doing.

I didn't mean come off like it was only CFS flyers that had issues with the game or lack of modability. Infact I have quite a few issues with the game myself. I just don't see the need to complain about them. I'm quite happy with the product, the way that the code is kept locked and the support 1C has delivered. I didn't have a net connection for the first 12 months I owned IL2 so I had no idea about the 'patches'. Seriously, its still keeping me thoroughly entertained even though my joystick packed it in last week http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif.

ClnlSandersLite
05-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Also the maps are locked.The best you can do is add objects to existing maps using the full mission builder.
This is really the only thing that bugs me as far as the sim bieng closed goes. If the community could make maps, we could open quite a few areas of operation. Not that big a deal I guess, just use some imagination and suddenly smolensk is southern france http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

And you sure seem determined to take my quote very neatly out of context
I didn't mean come off like it was only CFS flyers that had issues with the game or lack of modability.
Sorry, I thought that was what you where infering.

jessi1
05-25-2005, 07:51 AM
CFS hahahahahahahah what ****, i must admit i did buy it and flew for a whole hour before i realized.....it's **** hahahahhaha, i whant my money back. Long live IL-2 CFS HAHAHAHAH