PDA

View Full Version : My first ever convoy

baggygreen
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Up until my 3rd career I had never encountered a convoy, despite having made it to 1942 and 1941 respectively. Now I'm in May 1940, VIIB, and on my way to AM97 (are they insane?!?). I really hate going through the channel, so i took the long way around from Wilhelmshaven, and off the northwest coast of Ireland i got a report of a convoy only 100 miles to my west, so i scampered off after them.

I was kind of over-excited at finally having a convoy, and i didnt want to risk losing them, so i went there at flank and got them at 5pm - **** it was still light! Perfect position though, going at 1 or 2 knots right in front of the convoy, 200m to the starboard side of the huntI at forward picket. I got through him and hit a T2 (also my first ever), then dove to 140 and raced east to set up again. Same deal, then i nearly hit a small US tanker (bastards are still neutral, my posterior!!!) and got a T3 instead, 1 mag T1.

I stayed in the middle of the convoy this time to evade, and the hunt and 2 flowers never found me - possibly because i was literally just underneath a US C3. I took out a C2 next, it took me 4 fish though, a couple of mags and a couple of impacts. Whoever called them the cockroaches of the sea isnt wrong!!! then i damaged another C2 with my stern tube, and as i fired again to finish him off i misjudged the angle, ended up 1 shotting a C2 with a 1m T1 impact. I hope to finish off that C2 later, as he's damaged and running slowly.

I dont know if that convoy was always going to be there or not, but i had just installed 1.4b and regardless of weather or not that put the convoy in or not, its a bloody awesome patch, i love it!

cheers,
Baggy
(Sucks to the Rest of the World team, cant even knock us off!!!)

baggygreen
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Up until my 3rd career I had never encountered a convoy, despite having made it to 1942 and 1941 respectively. Now I'm in May 1940, VIIB, and on my way to AM97 (are they insane?!?). I really hate going through the channel, so i took the long way around from Wilhelmshaven, and off the northwest coast of Ireland i got a report of a convoy only 100 miles to my west, so i scampered off after them.

I was kind of over-excited at finally having a convoy, and i didnt want to risk losing them, so i went there at flank and got them at 5pm - **** it was still light! Perfect position though, going at 1 or 2 knots right in front of the convoy, 200m to the starboard side of the huntI at forward picket. I got through him and hit a T2 (also my first ever), then dove to 140 and raced east to set up again. Same deal, then i nearly hit a small US tanker (bastards are still neutral, my posterior!!!) and got a T3 instead, 1 mag T1.

I stayed in the middle of the convoy this time to evade, and the hunt and 2 flowers never found me - possibly because i was literally just underneath a US C3. I took out a C2 next, it took me 4 fish though, a couple of mags and a couple of impacts. Whoever called them the cockroaches of the sea isnt wrong!!! then i damaged another C2 with my stern tube, and as i fired again to finish him off i misjudged the angle, ended up 1 shotting a C2 with a 1m T1 impact. I hope to finish off that C2 later, as he's damaged and running slowly.

I dont know if that convoy was always going to be there or not, but i had just installed 1.4b and regardless of weather or not that put the convoy in or not, its a bloody awesome patch, i love it!

cheers,
Baggy
(Sucks to the Rest of the World team, cant even knock us off!!!)

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Unless you hit the fule bunkers, theyre a pain in the *** to sink. You got lucky.

Chrystine
10-06-2005, 08:47 PM

Good deal Baggy_,

Yes, that was me who referred to the C2 as the Cockroach of the Atlantic.

As Wilhelm rightly says €" hit the fuel bunker.

Not all that long ago (and since my €˜cockroach of the Atlantic€ statement), I decided to give something a try: I took the advice offered by Lecek given here repeatedly over time, for how to kill a C2 with one torpedo every time.
I€ve since had 20-25 opportunities to €˜test€ the soundness of that advice and claim €" and can verify it is 100% accurate (not surprisingly).

Close range to within 999 to 350 meters, set impact pistol and depth 3 to 3.2 meters and hit the fuel hold.
Barring your torpedo being a dud €" it effectively becomes a fire and forget missile.
Lock it up, fire, and you can turn your attention elsewhere as soon as you press the fire button: that C2 is dead.

It€s so far worked for me 100% of the time. One torpedo €" one €˜Cockroach.€ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

&nd thanks for inculcating that great advice, where-ever you are Lecek.
Works like a charm!

Best,
~ C.

baggygreen
10-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Chrystine,

I have no idea how to hit the fuel bunker or any other particular part of the ship - i fire and it normally gets around the middle somewhere, i havent got the mod showing the vulnerable parts of each ship - or any other mod for that matter.

everybody - Is there any way to specifically target one section of a ship?

3.JG51_Molders
10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Good job

bunkerratt
10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
ok man.theres a mod file for the reconition manual...it has the fuel/ammp/powerplant/keel...in color ..i belive it's called the full verneralibity mod..i have it running on mine along with about 12 other mods...it's a nice addon ..find it on the subsim site.good hunting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

JU88
10-20-2005, 01:58 PM
You can get the fuel bunker on C-2 automatically or manually, assumming you're using WO solutions.

Get in to the usual 90 degree postion within a 1000 meters and lock scope on the C2.

Set torpeedo to impact detonation.

open tube (press Q)

Open the merchent section of the recognition manual, Find the C2, providing your range its under 1000m and you angle is good weak spots appear in the manual, choose the fuel bunker and when the arrows over the C2 in in you retical turn green, hit fire. bye bye C2.

You can achive the same thing with out the manual.

Set your torpeedo to impact and running depth of 6 meters.

lock scope to get the solution, when the target is green, unlock the scope and move the cross hairs just in front of the C2s funnel on the super structure area,

Then fire - you should hit the fuel bunkers.
Its more or less the same for the C3.

Happy hunting.

Kaleun1961
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
"Cockroach of the Atlantic." I love it!!!!!!!! I missed your original reference to that one, Chrystine. I just love it!

It reminds me of a scene in Das Boot. I have the director's cut and always listen to it in German. It's slowly helping me build up my German vocabulary. There's one scene where, I think it is Ario, calls the skinny guy a cockroach in German. The way it comes out is so cool, right at the end of some other sounds, so it sort of stands out and hits me as very humourous. You hear him say in a scathing voice, and I will spell it phonetically, [German speakers please provide a correct spelling, please] ****-a-laggy! So funny!

Kaleun1961
10-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Gee, I got hit by the auto-censor again. Ok, I will try it again: kawk-a-laggy

P.S. Gratulieren on the convoy attack, Baggy. There's nothing like a first successful convoy encounter to build the morale. As you get more familiar with your boat, you can become a very bold Kaleun, taking your boat quietly right into the convoy and blowing out its entrails.

JU88
10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
grapes, i wonder if grapes is censored on here?

(edit) LOL nope! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - on another forum it was g****! im gonna go to the green grocer and get me some f******* G*****!

Kaleun1961
10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Isn't it weird? You can say "bastard" but not c-o-c-k. The censor will not let s-l-u-t get through either, not that I have the need for it very often. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif