PDA

View Full Version : Buyers Beware Whirlwind Over Vietnam

Dagnabit
05-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I cannot say much good about this sim/game.
I bought it yesterday, and have been fighting with it since.
It recomends Vista, and XP, on the box, but on Vista all I get are CTDs when I hit the "fly" button. And on my XP machine when I hit "fly", it waits till the progress indicator runs out (as if the game is really loading) and then freezes up. Upon checking around the web for some reviews I am seeing others with similar probs. Others mentioned different probs with lousy graphics, high learning curve with very little (russianized english translations) offerings so far as instructions go. Looks like another one for the shelf until 1-C, gets out some patches.
I really like the choppers, and I hope they can iron this one out, but for now I would suggest waiting for most prople on this one.

Regards
Dag

M_Gunz
05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Dagnabit:
I cannot say much good about this sim/game.
I bought it yesterday, and have been fighting with it since.
It recomends Vista, and XP, on the box, but on Vista all I get are CTDs when I hit the "fly" button. And on my XP machine when I hit "fly", it waits till the progress indicator runs out (as if the game is really loading) and then freezes up. Upon checking around the web for some reviews I am seeing others with similar probs. Others mentioned different probs with lousy graphics, high learning curve with very little (russianized english translations) offerings so far as instructions go. Looks like another one for the shelf until 1-C, gets out some patches.
I really like the choppers, and I hope they can iron this one out, but for now I would suggest waiting for most prople on this one.

Regards
Dag

At least until the fixes to be known and posted clearly. But there's still gonna be some that
can't run it, just hope it's a slim minority before it hits the bargain bins.

FE_pilot
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, but i already wasted $30 dollars on a piece of SH**T game. The game ran fine until the downloading bar was finished, then the game crashed back to desktop with no warning.

I found another use for the game disks though. Target practice for my new G36 BB gun.

leitmotiv
05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
F---ing pathetic. For shame 1C, and bodes ill.

Dagnabit
05-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by FE_pilot:
Thanks for the advice, but i already wasted $30 dollars on a piece of SH**T game. The game ran fine until the downloading bar was finished, then the game crashed back to desktop with no warning.

I found another use for the game disks though. Target practice for my new G36 BB gun.

HK? Most cool!!! I collect guns and have an HK91,(semiauto version of the G3) maybe this disc will make it to the range too my .308 hand loads for this one, shoot soooooo nice. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Regards
Dag

Xiolablu3
05-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Wait longer after the loading bar finishes, it takes quite a while.

BaldieJr
05-02-2007, 08:07 AM
It crashes with error. Whats to wait for?

Someone made a mistake and 1C's name is all over the product.

ploughman
05-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Do they not test a DVD or two before they release the game, just in case they've compiled and published a load of pap?

Capt.LoneRanger
05-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Do they not test a DVD or two before they release the game, just in case they've compiled and published a load of pap?

I guess they do - up until the publishers deadline...

crucislancer
05-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I was thinking about picking this one up until I saw the Gamespot review. Maybe if they patch it up real good I might pick it up later, but shame on them for releasing a product that hardly works.

BuzzU
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't know why a gamer would go to Vista so soon?

Treetop64
05-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I've always wondered why game developers push an unfinished product out the door. Remember Battlecruiser 3000? Can't developers exercise some flexibility in their timetables?

It's silly.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I'd rather wait a few weeks or months for the kinks to get ironed out, rather than get a fragmented peice of work that simply pisses me off. Then I have to wait a few weeks or months for patches to make the game playable anyway.

As far as I'm concered, Oleg and crew can take as long as they need to get BoB set up properly for realese. If they have to delay release until the summer of '08, oh friggin' well. That's life.

Dagnabit
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by BuzzU:
I don't know why a gamer would go to Vista so soon?

Hi BuzzU,
The Vista machine I bought is by Velocity Micro, and is a gaming PC with alot of goodies, at a good price. These are handbuilt and hand tuned, it runs like a scalded cat, and until now it has run every XP game that I have loaded with no major probs. The interface, and search options are great, and I use it for alot more than just gaming. I still really like my HP Media Center with XP. So I guess you could say I made the "move to Vista" because I could have my cake and eat it too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Regards
Dag

Xiolablu3
05-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
It crashes with error. Whats to wait for?

Someone made a mistake and 1C's name is all over the product.

WHen I played it at a friends house it took a loooong time after the loading bar finished to start the game, but this was with winXP and an ATI X800.

The game is quite fun, and seems quite realistic (more a sim than a game) but quite hard, I only played the first level.

Dagnabit
05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Other things that I am noticing today, are that the game isnt retaining the options control settings when I close the game and restart it with either XP, or Vista.
I emailed 1-C yesterday and I am anxious to see how long it takes for a response. Especially since they have made the brag about how dilligent their support prople are for this game.
Xiolablu, Thanks for the heads up but I ran my stopwatch for 10min. and still no action. Even 5min. in my estimation too long to wait for any game to load.
Regards
Dag

leitmotiv
05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Dagnabit---huge thanks for the Velocity Micro tip. I am sold. Which one did you buy? How is their support? Is it really good? I am looking for a company to build my BOB computer and they look like the people. Cheers, L

Dagnabit
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Dagnabit---huge thanks for the Velocity Micro tip. I am sold. Which one did you buy? How is their support? Is it really good? I am looking for a company to build my BOB computer and they look like the people. Cheers, L

leitmotiv,
You're most welcome.
I got the "Gamers Edge 1500", and though it isnt their top end model it is sooooo sweet.
Anyway...I havent had any problems with it so I cant speak from personal experience about their service and support, but I have a techi friend who works for Best Buy, who has assured me that they are top notch on these issues.
They build all of their machines with leading mfgrs. components off the shelf items, so upgrading is no prob.
The cases are a little larger than many mainstream PC names but they are aluminum and temps are always cool, and they are good looking. I was surprized to see a floppy disc on this one (old school eh?) but its very handy for game manuals, or quick notes and such where you dont have to waste a whole CD or DVD, to save small ammounts of data.
As you can see on their site they will build it they way you want it, and then back it up.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. If you go to Vista let me know as I have some onfo that will be helpful.
Regards
Dag

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Many thanks, Dagnabit. If some stock behaves, I'll be buying around BOB time, and I'll PM you if I have any questions, thanks for the the kind offer. You saved my bacon. My previous puter maker, Predator, went belly up, and I've been looking for a top notch replacement!