PDA

View Full Version : 256 or 512 VRAM? Stuttering Solution ?

Chris0382
02-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I just discovered this article and would like to know if people with 512 VRAM on their cards get stuttering. I have a 7600 GT 256 VRAM and 2GB Ram x2 3800+ CPU and have the exact problem as this describes. I also run at 1600 x 1200 and some high settings. Im wondering id a new card with 512 VRAM may cure this. May also rig up some VRAM cooling.

Article

This is the reason why the amount of VRAM is increasingly becoming larger and more important on modern graphics cards. The more information that can be held onboard the graphics card's VRAM, the more quickly the GPU can process data and not have to pause to allow more data to be loaded up into VRAM. For example, games with high resolution textures require more VRAM space. When space runs out in VRAM, existing unused textures have to be switched out and new ones loaded up from your hard drive and/or system RAM into the VRAM. This slight pause which results is commonly referred to as hitching (when data loads into VRAM) or stuttering (when data loads up from the hard drive first), and is most noticeable when you enter new areas or see new objects during a game. Your graphics card literally pauses to wait for new data to be loaded for display before continuing.

Performance Tip: This step highlights the importance of having more VRAM on your graphics card. If running a game on a card with less VRAM, you must lower your texture settings and/or resolution, otherwise you will get more hitching/stuttering as data is constantly swapped into and out of the VRAM. This is particularly true if you have a slower hard drive and less system RAM as well. Note further that cooling the VRAM properly is also essential, as almost all cases of noticeable graphical glitches (also called 'Artifacts'), and many crashes and lockups, are due to overheating VRAM. Remember that the temperature sensor on your graphics card is not located on the VRAM - it is on or close to the GPU; so your VRAM can often run much hotter.

Chris0382
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Also helpful:

In any game if you find tearing annoying, you should enable VSync. If you find your FPS has halved, you should then specifically try enabling Triple Buffering, as this can help fix the FPS drops related to enabling VSync, but it introduces the possibility of hitching on graphics cards with less VRAM, and possible control lag on some systems. See the Triple Buffering setting below for details.

link

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Enabling 3xbuffering is a trade off; it enhances performance yet messes up performance by taking up V-Ram.

Also how true is this: From another person not the manufacturer.

If you are running a Dual Core/Processor system, and are running a 90 series driver, have you disabled Threaded Optimization in the nVidia control panel? It makes a world of difference with it OFF.

VW-IceFire
02-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I read so much about this stuff that its blatantly obvious to me but I think this may help folks who aren't sure which way to go.

The 8800 series video cards from nVidia show their VRAM advantages at high resolutions (such as 1600x1200) with almost no benefit at lower resolutions except when you're using very high AA and AF settings. I don't run a monitor with that level of resolution so I'm considering the new 8800GTS with 320mb because the performance difference is marginal at lower resolution.

Ultimately its a sum total of all system components...a fast hard drive and well matched CPU, RAM, and GPU/VPU make for the best systems.

Chris0382
02-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Ultimately its a sum total of all system components...a fast hard drive and well matched CPU, RAM, and GPU/VPU make for the best systems.

Yes defragging my partitions even helped a bit today.