PDA

View Full Version : found intresting web site about WW2VET

Stafroty
02-19-2006, 06:30 AM
http://ipmslondon.tripod.com/modelingarticles/id8.html

"Among Hermann's classmates was Hans-Joachim M****ille, whom Hermann charitably describes as having "a lack of recognition" of rules (perhaps due to his father being a high-ranking officer) and a tendency to party late and sleep in as he felt fit. "

*** I see that M****ille had balls to be himself, not doing what other "chickens" do with rules, (have to obey rules cos they are there, no capability to use own brains) he sure had nuts and thats why he was so great i think, as he made things questionable, old "truths" etc..***

"reconnaissance version for his personal plane. This was a much different aircraft from any other he flew. First off, it had a rear view mirror, which none of his other planes were ever equipped with. Second, the plane was built to a much higher level than standard fighters. All of the rivets had been filled and sanded, and the plane had outer gear doors (like the Bf-109K-4) which sealed the wheel wells very well. This gave his plane much better performance and endurance than the other aircraft in his unit, so he was always the last man in the formation to land."

****intresting points arent these?? still pilot accounts but still, truth in them im someway, how would combat pilot know all that?****

" While based at Antwerp, his unit found it essential to park their aircraft in revetments to protect them from allied fragmentation bombs, which were very effective."

**** i think Herman meant the opposite, that not to park AC in revetment bacause, bombs would not sink in ground, but enxplode over it, sending fragments in all directions, while the bombs which sink in ground before going off, would send fragments only upwards.. same as one would be in rocky terrain in artillery fire, i would prefer myself soft terrain..****

" During one dogfight over Italy, Hermann tried to come to the rescue of a FW-190 Jabo pilot who was being attacked by a Spitfire. During the combat, the Spitfire put a cannon round into his plane which exploded on the cannon breech in between his legs, wounding one of his knees. Afterwards, Hermann ended up in a hospital with the FW-190 pilot he tried to save in the bed beside him!"

**he sure was lucky, that the cannonround hit the cannon breech..**

"As one would expect, Hermann had many things to say about the Bf-109. He pushed the Bf-109 about as far as it would go with regards to performance, having once flown a Bf-109F-4 up to 13 000 metres (over 40,000 feet), where he had to breathe direct pressure oxygen and the temperature was -70 degrees C. "

**not impossible, id say. its just he for sure wasnt flying fast accorging to IAS up there..**

" He also dove a Bf-109 to an indicated air speed of 950 km/h, and had a wing root fairing pop off!"

***not only account where those speeds are dived at with 109:s, remember same happened to spit, as well. How accurate test results we have on US fighters?*** none of those planes werent developed for those speeds, for sure.***

" Hermann remembers all Bf-109s as having very strong torque, which could be quite unforgiving to a novice pilot"

**remember one patch earlier? i bet that wasnt real eighter, it was like flying the bubble, not plane. not intrested much anymore about this sim, really. i got feeded up, sad.**

"Below them, they spotted a formation of six Me-262s in line-abreast formation. The Spitfires immediately dove in to attack, and Charlie shot a plane down in the first pass. Once the battle was joined, however, it was discovered that the planes were in fact P-51D Mustangs with wing tanks (which appeared to be the Me-262s engines from above). What was truly bizarre, however, was the fact that the aircraft continued to fly straight and level even as they were being attacked, and that there were no pilots in the cockpits! Charlie believes that these planes were some sort of Allied secret weapon "robot planes" (akin to the Aphrodite remote-controlled B-17s and B-24s used to attack high-value targets); at any rate, once the Spitfires returned to base, all records of the fight (including gun camera film) were destroyed."

***makes sense in somehow***

" Hence, as they were in the circuit awaiting their turn to land at Manston, Charlie's wingman became quite concerned when he spotted a jet flying nearby. After repeatedly warning Charlie, "Leader, jet, 3 oclock," he broke off to attack the Meteor (Charlie was unable to risk breaching security by telling his wingman that it was a British jet). His wingman put a single 20mm round through the Meteor's tail before he was convinced to break off the attack. Charlie ended the war with 500 hours in a Spitfire cockpit."

***again. makes sense. there were things which would not be spoken, at all, because of kind of secrets, some secrets stayed till to these days, and im not talkin the jets***

"as Herman put it, as news of the assassination began to come out, "we all hoped that it would work."

***only the true nazis or nowaday blind people would not think so, no matter the nationality, germans were scum,all of them, right?***

"Postwar, Hermann had a long and productive career in the electronics industry in Canada, while Hildegard worked with the National Research Council in Canada, helping to produce their first supersonic wind tunnel and working with Atomic Energy Canada trying to devise ways to store spent uranium fuel rods. "

***we know now where the Uranium rods are stored at http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, theres oil as well***

"From Charlie Fox's recollection of "a white puff" that he would see whenever a German plane kicked in its MW50 boost to Hermann Weber's description of the Bf-109K-4 as "the ultimate death trap for pilots," whose pilot was "all shook up" whenever the engine-mounted 30mm gun fired, we gain an amazing insight in to the world of sixty years ago by listening to veterans (by the way, the Bf-109K-4 was, according to Hermann, a very poor dogfighter due to its altered centre of gravity)."

***in game, those white puffs would be nice, whenever somekind of boost is siwtched on, as well, no exhaust buffs, or trail of the enemy planes like in real, as least, in film "battle of britain, we can see blackishgrey opague trail when planes were flying, in some shots of the film, exhaust gases.. about 30mm cannon, i think myself, that, it make plane vibrate, but not as many would think, as you can think the rate of vibratings is the rate of fire, right? the "massage machine" vibrates just as fast its engine makes it move. hehe.
About 109 K4 as an dogfighting plane, we still have statictics how it would turn at 6km alt, is it like P39 cobra, which really has engine in its rear section? makin it much more maneuverable (or just more gentle on the stick movements on up/down (horizontal right?) but not any better on turning the turn, but just raising the nose..)
sad that he didnt explain it more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif***

" He also believed that the P-51 was "a much hotter airplane" than any Bf-109."

***does this mean engine overheating? ;P or just personal likin of the planes***

" Among the most interesting and unexpected pieces of information I heard was Hermann's assessment of Romanian fighter pilots. Having flown with and sometimes commanded Romanian pilots, he felt that they were of a higher quality than German pilot, especially in their flying skills, due to the fact that they were drawn from the nobility and that almost all of them already knew how to fly before they joined the Romanian air force."

***Same as can be seen in the MOVIE battle of the britain where English commander tries to tell to Polish pilots where to turn "reply please" they replied, and turned one by one on attacking Heinkels under them down on the right. English speakin commander was left alone to lead his "ghost squadron" while Polish knew what was needed to do, not that "playin with ranks" made the war any better or easier for mens who were there, playin witht he biggest bets there is...***

***Anyway, nice read, even if it still lefts something open for assuming, thats sad, but thats our pain, not the interviewed persons, who thinks us silly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif***

Stafroty
02-19-2006, 06:30 AM
http://ipmslondon.tripod.com/modelingarticles/id8.html

"Among Hermann's classmates was Hans-Joachim M****ille, whom Hermann charitably describes as having "a lack of recognition" of rules (perhaps due to his father being a high-ranking officer) and a tendency to party late and sleep in as he felt fit. "

*** I see that M****ille had balls to be himself, not doing what other "chickens" do with rules, (have to obey rules cos they are there, no capability to use own brains) he sure had nuts and thats why he was so great i think, as he made things questionable, old "truths" etc..***

"reconnaissance version for his personal plane. This was a much different aircraft from any other he flew. First off, it had a rear view mirror, which none of his other planes were ever equipped with. Second, the plane was built to a much higher level than standard fighters. All of the rivets had been filled and sanded, and the plane had outer gear doors (like the Bf-109K-4) which sealed the wheel wells very well. This gave his plane much better performance and endurance than the other aircraft in his unit, so he was always the last man in the formation to land."

****intresting points arent these?? still pilot accounts but still, truth in them im someway, how would combat pilot know all that?****

" While based at Antwerp, his unit found it essential to park their aircraft in revetments to protect them from allied fragmentation bombs, which were very effective."

**** i think Herman meant the opposite, that not to park AC in revetment bacause, bombs would not sink in ground, but enxplode over it, sending fragments in all directions, while the bombs which sink in ground before going off, would send fragments only upwards.. same as one would be in rocky terrain in artillery fire, i would prefer myself soft terrain..****

" During one dogfight over Italy, Hermann tried to come to the rescue of a FW-190 Jabo pilot who was being attacked by a Spitfire. During the combat, the Spitfire put a cannon round into his plane which exploded on the cannon breech in between his legs, wounding one of his knees. Afterwards, Hermann ended up in a hospital with the FW-190 pilot he tried to save in the bed beside him!"

**he sure was lucky, that the cannonround hit the cannon breech..**

"As one would expect, Hermann had many things to say about the Bf-109. He pushed the Bf-109 about as far as it would go with regards to performance, having once flown a Bf-109F-4 up to 13 000 metres (over 40,000 feet), where he had to breathe direct pressure oxygen and the temperature was -70 degrees C. "

**not impossible, id say. its just he for sure wasnt flying fast accorging to IAS up there..**

" He also dove a Bf-109 to an indicated air speed of 950 km/h, and had a wing root fairing pop off!"

***not only account where those speeds are dived at with 109:s, remember same happened to spit, as well. How accurate test results we have on US fighters?*** none of those planes werent developed for those speeds, for sure.***

" Hermann remembers all Bf-109s as having very strong torque, which could be quite unforgiving to a novice pilot"

**remember one patch earlier? i bet that wasnt real eighter, it was like flying the bubble, not plane. not intrested much anymore about this sim, really. i got feeded up, sad.**

"Below them, they spotted a formation of six Me-262s in line-abreast formation. The Spitfires immediately dove in to attack, and Charlie shot a plane down in the first pass. Once the battle was joined, however, it was discovered that the planes were in fact P-51D Mustangs with wing tanks (which appeared to be the Me-262s engines from above). What was truly bizarre, however, was the fact that the aircraft continued to fly straight and level even as they were being attacked, and that there were no pilots in the cockpits! Charlie believes that these planes were some sort of Allied secret weapon "robot planes" (akin to the Aphrodite remote-controlled B-17s and B-24s used to attack high-value targets); at any rate, once the Spitfires returned to base, all records of the fight (including gun camera film) were destroyed."

***makes sense in somehow***

" Hence, as they were in the circuit awaiting their turn to land at Manston, Charlie's wingman became quite concerned when he spotted a jet flying nearby. After repeatedly warning Charlie, "Leader, jet, 3 oclock," he broke off to attack the Meteor (Charlie was unable to risk breaching security by telling his wingman that it was a British jet). His wingman put a single 20mm round through the Meteor's tail before he was convinced to break off the attack. Charlie ended the war with 500 hours in a Spitfire cockpit."

***again. makes sense. there were things which would not be spoken, at all, because of kind of secrets, some secrets stayed till to these days, and im not talkin the jets***

"as Herman put it, as news of the assassination began to come out, "we all hoped that it would work."

***only the true nazis or nowaday blind people would not think so, no matter the nationality, germans were scum,all of them, right?***

"Postwar, Hermann had a long and productive career in the electronics industry in Canada, while Hildegard worked with the National Research Council in Canada, helping to produce their first supersonic wind tunnel and working with Atomic Energy Canada trying to devise ways to store spent uranium fuel rods. "

***we know now where the Uranium rods are stored at http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, theres oil as well***

"From Charlie Fox's recollection of "a white puff" that he would see whenever a German plane kicked in its MW50 boost to Hermann Weber's description of the Bf-109K-4 as "the ultimate death trap for pilots," whose pilot was "all shook up" whenever the engine-mounted 30mm gun fired, we gain an amazing insight in to the world of sixty years ago by listening to veterans (by the way, the Bf-109K-4 was, according to Hermann, a very poor dogfighter due to its altered centre of gravity)."

***in game, those white puffs would be nice, whenever somekind of boost is siwtched on, as well, no exhaust buffs, or trail of the enemy planes like in real, as least, in film "battle of britain, we can see blackishgrey opague trail when planes were flying, in some shots of the film, exhaust gases.. about 30mm cannon, i think myself, that, it make plane vibrate, but not as many would think, as you can think the rate of vibratings is the rate of fire, right? the "massage machine" vibrates just as fast its engine makes it move. hehe.
About 109 K4 as an dogfighting plane, we still have statictics how it would turn at 6km alt, is it like P39 cobra, which really has engine in its rear section? makin it much more maneuverable (or just more gentle on the stick movements on up/down (horizontal right?) but not any better on turning the turn, but just raising the nose..)
sad that he didnt explain it more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif***

" He also believed that the P-51 was "a much hotter airplane" than any Bf-109."

***does this mean engine overheating? ;P or just personal likin of the planes***

" Among the most interesting and unexpected pieces of information I heard was Hermann's assessment of Romanian fighter pilots. Having flown with and sometimes commanded Romanian pilots, he felt that they were of a higher quality than German pilot, especially in their flying skills, due to the fact that they were drawn from the nobility and that almost all of them already knew how to fly before they joined the Romanian air force."

***Same as can be seen in the MOVIE battle of the britain where English commander tries to tell to Polish pilots where to turn "reply please" they replied, and turned one by one on attacking Heinkels under them down on the right. English speakin commander was left alone to lead his "ghost squadron" while Polish knew what was needed to do, not that "playin with ranks" made the war any better or easier for mens who were there, playin witht he biggest bets there is...***

***Anyway, nice read, even if it still lefts something open for assuming, thats sad, but thats our pain, not the interviewed persons, who thinks us silly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif***

UKPsycho
02-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Nice post, Thanks!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif